Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Heinze overrated? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=73399)

thumper 06-08-2011 12:21 PM

Heinze overrated?

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b9N6v

Three Rivers deserved to be as high as #2 hardest place for visitors
to play, but not Heinze. I mean, it maybe hard to play there because
Pgh is usually a very good team with a good D, but as far as it
being hard to play in, from a stadium stance, no way does it deserve
to be #2 over all. The open ended design does not allowed for the
fans to create as loud as a scene as did 3RS. Seattle's new digs
has the fans practically on top of the field. And GB and KC are tougher
venues - all things being equal - than HF is. Some of the domes make
it tougher as well.

For HF to be this high on the list, they don't know what they are
talking about. You just can't make it that loud, no matter how hard
you try, with a stadium with a huge open end to it. It's a matter
of physics.

steelerchad 06-08-2011 01:18 PM

Re: Heinze overrated?

It says toughest venues, not loudest venues. I agree, Heinz isn't loud at all. In fact, it's unfortunately one of the quietest I've been to. However, the Steelers always put a tough team on the field and especially a physical D that the fans feed off of. That + the Steelers tradition would indeed make Heinz a tough place to play. The crowd gets pumped up when they play renegade and it can rattle an offense. Also, there is the awful turf. With the Steelers getting to play 10 games a year on it and the opponent only 1 game a year at best that is also an advantage that Heinz Field gives the Steelers. In addition to those reason, other teams rarely show up in great numbers at Heinz Field. Tickets are pretty tough to come by and visiting fans are scarce.

thumper 06-08-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 930834)
It says toughest venues, not loudest venues. I agree, Heinz isn't loud at all. In fact, it's unfortunately one of the quietest I've been to. However, the Steelers always put a tough team on the field and especially a physical D that the fans feed off of. That + the Steelers tradition would indeed make Heinz a tough place to play. The crowd gets pumped up when they play renegade and it can rattle an offense. Also, there is the awful turf. With the Steelers getting to play 10 games a year on it and the opponent only 1 game a year at best that is also an advantage that Heinz Field gives the Steelers. In addition to those reason, other teams rarely show up in great numbers at Heinz Field. Tickets are pretty tough to come by and visiting fans are scarce.

Everything you say is true. And "toughest" is not the same as "loudest"
but noise volume is a huge part of making a stadium tough to play in.
As we see some of the former toughest places to play field better teams,
this list will change. Now that KC is getting better, they will even higher
on this list. They made steps the last few seasons - have added real
talent and quality coaching.

As far as us having so few opposing fans, definitely. And it especially
sticks out when compared to how many Steeler fans show up at
away games - just amazing. No other team is any where close.
I've been to games where it was almost 50-50 for equal amount
of Steeler fans while on the road. It's crazy.

StainlessStill 06-08-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 930831)
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b9N6v

Three Rivers deserved to be as high as #2 hardest place for visitors
to play, but not Heinze. I mean, it maybe hard to play there because
Pgh is usually a very good team with a good D, but as far as it
being hard to play in, from a stadium stance, no way does it deserve
to be #2 over all. The open ended design does not allowed for the
fans to create as loud as a scene as did 3RS. Seattle's new digs
has the fans practically on top of the field. And GB and KC are tougher
venues - all things being equal - than HF is. Some of the domes make
it tougher as well.

For HF to be this high on the list, they don't know what they are
talking about. You just can't make it that loud, no matter how hard
you try, with a stadium with a huge open end to it. It's a matter
of physics.

I've been to many Steelers games over-time, both Three Rivers AND Heinz Field (also Cleveland for away games.) Even though Heinz isn't the loudest stadium to play in the NFL by all measures, I sure as hell would have to say the energy is UN-MATCHED. I always did say that loudness & energy are two different entities and this applies to Heinz Field from every sense of the word.

I've seen some MAJOR games turn into MAJOR moments and let me tell you, you could just SEE the opposing team just struggling with the entire atmosphere around them. Heinz Field is one helluva tough place to play for an opposing team off of energy ALONE that forms from inside the stadium. Places like Seattle and Kansas City are loud venue's, but lack atmosphere for a winning franchise. The Steel City has it's tradition and runs off of pure pride and fiery.

steeltown36 06-08-2011 06:01 PM

I gotta say Heinze Field ranking number 2 doesnt suprise me. Not only are you going into a hostile environment with 100% home team support, the turf is hard to get used to, especially for indoor teams. Also the biggest element no one has spoken of: THE WIND! The open end of Heinze Field has been the Bermuda Triangle of the NFL since its opening. Steelers kickers have a hard time getting used to it, let alone an opposing kicker who has never experianced it.

Overall I would agree Heinze isnt the loudest, but it is indeed tough when factoring in those other elements. Also the fact that you have Harrisson, Woodley, Clark, and Troy patrolling the field! Would you wanna look across and see Harrisson staring at you or Troy standing insome odd spot when you know he will end up on the other side of the field despite your best efforts to pump fake him?!

MattsMe 06-08-2011 06:46 PM

I've never heard of Heinze Field.

:noidea:

stb_steeler 06-08-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattsMe (Post 930862)
I've never heard of Heinze Field.

:noidea:

Not spelled like that anyway.....lol

wootawnee 06-19-2011 06:14 PM

It would have been the toughest place in any staduim to play the 70's Steelers.......

55BaileyFan 06-19-2011 06:46 PM

The fans make the stadium and for that we should be on the list. The thing that removes us from the list is probably the open end...but the Steelers are adding 3,000 to 5,000 new seats in the next few years so that will really help the noise factor.

Fans are the stadium though.

ebsteelers 06-20-2011 02:33 PM

im at work so i cant get a video but all i know is regegade comes on that place is far from quiet... got chills when i went to the playoff game in january.

I just got so jacked up i clothes lined by boss...

O MAMA....