Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=73541)

tunes4life 06-20-2011 02:53 PM

Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
"As such, Flacco had to be tipped off by a friend about Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s comment that Flacco and the Ravens wouldn’t win a Super Bowl “in this lifetime.”

Link to BaltamoreRavens.com

I just don't remember reading about this. I think I shoulda heard!

tunes4life 06-20-2011 02:57 PM

Re: Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
Oooops, nevermind. Insert foot here -

Link to Woodley's comments

:cya:

Deserei90 06-20-2011 06:15 PM

Re: Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
Aww, Don't take it to the heart Flacco. Man up, Oh wait..........My bad:chuckle:

zulater 06-20-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
Good, Woodley's inside his head. It will be a self fullfilling prophecy now.

thumper 06-21-2011 11:51 AM

Re: Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulater (Post 931231)
Good, Woodley's inside his head. It will be a self fullfilling prophecy now.

I don't think so. A "self-fulfilling" prophecy would be when one states
something about ___themselves___ and due to their prediction,
subconsciously, they then take actions that make the event come
true. But when someone __else__ makes the prediction, it is not
a "_SELF_ - fulfilling prophecy" since the "self" never made the claim;
someone else did.

Now, it could indeed "get in his head" but it won't be a self-fulfilling
prophecy since it wasn't Flacco's prediction to begin with. If Flacco
stated "I will probably never win a Super Bowl" and he ends up
not winning one, THEN, one could claim that was a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy
Quote:

A self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prophecy itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior. Although examples of such prophecies can be found in literature as far back as ancient Greece and ancient India, it is 20th-century sociologist Robert K. Merton who is credited with coining the expression "self-fulfilling prophecy" and formalizing its structure and consequences. In his book Social Theory and Social Structure, Merton defines self-fulfilling prophecy in the following terms: e.g. when Roxanna falsely believes her marriage will fail, her fears of such failure actually cause the marriage to fail.

zulater 06-21-2011 12:36 PM

Re: Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 931271)
I don't think so. A "self-fulfilling" prophecy would be when one states
something about ___themselves___ and due to their prediction,
subconsciously, they then take actions that make the event come
true. But when someone __else__ makes the prediction, it is not
a "_SELF_ - fulfilling prophecy" since the "self" never made the claim;
someone else did.

Now, it could indeed "get in his head" but it won't be a self-fulfilling
prophecy since it wasn't Flacco's prediction to begin with. If Flacco
stated "I will probably never win a Super Bowl" and he ends up
not winning one, THEN, one could claim that was a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

Whatever Mr Grammar man.:wink02:

The point is if he's thinking more about trying to show up Woodley than he is about the game plan of the day then score one for LaMarr. :thumbsup:

Plus I'm predicting a career year for Woodley, so he'll be all over his ass as well. :chuckle:

thumper 06-21-2011 12:56 PM

Re: Hmmm, when did Woodley say this?!?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulater (Post 931276)
Whatever Mr Grammar man.:wink02:

The point is if he's thinking more about trying to show up Woodley than he is about the game plan of the day then score one for LaMarr. :thumbsup:

Plus I'm predicting a career year for Woodley, so he'll be all over his ass as well. :chuckle:

It's not so much grammar, as it is just using a word in an inaccurate
manner. But whatever. I agree with your basic premise. Flacco is
already intimidated by our LBs to begin with. I give him props for
hanging in there and manning up to face them, but how many times
have they pissed in his Cherios when it was looking good for him? The
play off game last year comes to mind, as well the game where they
scored two TDs in like 20 seconds - sacking him and forcing a fumble
that Woodley took to the house.

Flacco is not a bad QB, but he clearly gets scarred when our LBs
start getting close. He looks a little terrified - something Ben has
never ever shown.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum