Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cleveland a contender in AFCN? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=75178)

Fire Arians 08-14-2011 07:48 PM

Cleveland a contender in AFCN?

Hold your laughter, I'm being serious here.

Last year they played a lot of tough games against high level opponents and looked to be improving, especially after Colt McCoy became the starter.

In their preseason debut, McCoy looked sharp, even sharper than Rodgers. They scored easily on their 1st 2 opening drives and the team didn't look like the Browns that we've been used to being a guaranteed sweep.

I know it's just preseason, but I expect Cleveland to be tougher this year. Maybe it's a good thing for us, the Steelers-Browns rivalry used to be intense, but it's been a joke in this last decade.

55BaileyFan 08-14-2011 07:54 PM

Re: Cleveland a contender in AFCN?

Yeah, just like the Redskins are contenders in their division. I don't think there will be room for B-More in the playoffs let alone the Browns even contending. It was pre-season that is it.

theplatypus 08-14-2011 08:25 PM

I could see them having a good season. THeir d is strong, workhorse at rb...

ETL 08-14-2011 08:42 PM

Lions went 4-0 in 2008 during preseason - outscored opponents 80 to 32 in the 4 games.

Then promptly became the worst team in NFL history going 0-16 in the regular season

Preseason aside, I think the Browns will be better but I don't think they will contend ever with Colt McCoy as QB - I just can't see that guy last a whole season intact.

Atlanta Dan 08-14-2011 08:54 PM

Teams with a new head coach are at an extraordinary disadvantage due to the lockout and no chance to put in their system until training camps opened - and as you note they have Colt McCoy at QB too

Browns may be better since they quit on Mangenius at the end of last season but they will be fighting the Bengals (who even by their standards will be awful) for last place in the division

Steelers & Ravens should pick up 4 victories apiece from Cincy & Cleveland this year

steeltheone 08-14-2011 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;936198]Teams with a new head coach are at an extraordinary disadvantage due to the lockout and no chance to put in their system until training camps opened - and as you note they have Colt McCoy at QB too

Browns may be better since they quit on Mangenius at the end of last season but they will be fighting the Bengals (who even by their standards will be awful) for last place in the division

Steelers & Ravens should pick up 4 victories apiece from Cincy & Cleveland this year[/QUOTE

Really should...Both are still teams good teams should beat!

tanda10506 08-15-2011 03:08 PM

I would agree that they are getting a lot better and could have a good season. I'm not basing that on the preseason win at all, but how they played last year and their players. There number one disadvantage is a new coach, that alone sometimes will guarantee a bad season. McCoy played really well last year. His first starting game was in Pittsburgh last year, he didn't play extremely well and the Browns lost, but he didn't have a melt down either like most people predicted. He did about as great as a rookie QB who's starting their first game in Pittsburgh could do lol. Hillis is a good RB, McCoy has a year of NFL experience, their defense is decent, and Cribbs is a decent receiver/ST player. Although there record was bad, when McCoy came in they were already 1-4, and they did beat the Saints and Patriots. They could be a good team, all that said, they will most likely be battling with the Bengals for 3rd place.

solardave 08-15-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 936189)
Hold your laughter, I'm being serious here.

Last year they played a lot of tough games against high level opponents and looked to be improving, especially after Colt McCoy became the starter.

In their preseason debut, McCoy looked sharp, even sharper than Rodgers. They scored easily on their 1st 2 opening drives and the team didn't look like the Browns that we've been used to being a guaranteed sweep.

I know it's just preseason, but I expect Cleveland to be tougher this year. Maybe it's a good thing for us, the Steelers-Browns rivalry used to be intense, but it's been a joke in this last decade.

Hold you laughter just a little longer.

Here it is:

Steelers 12-4
Browns 11-5
Ravens 10-6
Bengals 6-10

Now you can laugh if you want but that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Buddha Bus 08-15-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solardave (Post 936260)

Here it is:

Steelers 12-4
Browns 11-5
Ravens 10-6
Bengals 6-10

Now you can laugh if you want but that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Gotta respect a man with balls like that! :chuckle:

Steel-Bryan 08-16-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solardave (Post 936260)

Here it is:

Steelers 12-4
Browns 11-5
Ravens 10-6
Bengals 6-10

Steelers 11-5
Ravens 10-6
Browns 8-8
Bengals 4-12