Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Preseason Game Planning (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=75385)

steelax04 08-19-2011 10:14 AM

Preseason Game Planning

So I posted something on my Facebook about the Eagles' secondary to rile some of my old buddies up and one of them posted a reply...

His reply: "You don't game plan preseason games."

I just find this hard to believe, that there is no game planning. With those big time signings in the secondary, I guess I was just expecting more resistance against the Steelers' passing game.

All of this made me woner, is there really no "game planning" for preseason games? If not, how do you measure the guys on the field and their performance?

Buddha Bus 08-19-2011 10:29 AM

Re: Preseason Game Planning

I pulled this from an article by Bob Labriola on the Steelers website:

Itís always a good sign when a team heeds its coachís words and puts them into action, and thatís precisely what the Steelers did in the days between the Redskins at FedEx Field and the Eagles at Heinz Field. Just as was the case against the Redskins, the Steelers didnít put in a game plan for the Eagles, but their players did a much better job of executing the fundamentals of the sport, and the bounce-back characteristic is one every team wants to develop.

(Read More:) http://www.steelers.com/news/article...0-eb8570cf9fba

It seems there isn't much in the way of actual game planning. I've always heard that schemes are somewhat vanilla as not to give away actual schemes/plans that would be utilized in the regular season to players that will eventually be cut and signed by other teams. You don't want to give your secrets away.

kirklandrules 08-19-2011 10:33 AM

Does BA ever game plan? :noidea:

Buddha Bus 08-19-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirklandrules (Post 937088)
Does BA ever game plan? :noidea:

Yes..... just badly. :chuckle:

I have to admit that they looked good on offense last night though. I'm just not sure how much is attributable to Arians if there is no game plan. Maybe that's the key? Don't allow him to game plan and just "wing it".

Other than the damn ineffective and predictable WR screen (Can some body please tear that page out of Arians' playbook?!?), I thought the playcalling was very good.

steelax04 08-19-2011 11:19 AM

I still don't see the lack of game planning an excuse for how the Eagles' Dream Team of DBs did. They still should have put up more of an effort, imho. Maybe Vick needs game planning to not throw to the other team's players as well?

BIGNASTY91 08-19-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha Bus (Post 937090)
Yes..... just badly. :chuckle:

:rofl:

Buddha Bus 08-19-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelax04 (Post 937094)
I still don't see the lack of game planning an excuse for how the Eagles' Dream Team of DBs did. They still should have put up more of an effort, imho. Maybe Vick needs game planning to not throw to the other team's players as well?

I agree. They still should have been able to make some plays regardless. That's what they are out there for... to be evaluated on there skills and decision making ability. I didn't see much of either in the Eagles' secondary last night.

This doesn't mean that with the proper scheme/ game plan, that things couldn't be drastically better or different come the regular season. I've seen the Steelers D look lackluster in preseason games past (including last week), only to light it up in the regular season. Some of that has to do with the game planning aspect.

Fire Arians 08-19-2011 11:43 AM

they are who we thought they were, the eagles are who we thought they were, THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE

Buddha Bus 08-19-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 937099)
they are who we thought they were, the eagles are who we thought they were, THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE

Looking at Vince Young alone and dejected on the sidelines late in the game, do you think he regrets the whole "Dream Team" statement and how much of a lightning rod it's become? :chuckle:

Not a good way to start "fresh" with a new team by drawing all that undue attention and expectation to yourself and the team. A lot to live up to. Especially since it's not going to be his ass cashing that check on the field (barring injury).

kirklandrules 08-19-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 937099)

"YOU WANNA CROWN THEIR ASS, THEN CROWN 'EM!!!!!"

One of my favorite meltdowns quotes of all time.