Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Over all game musings (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=75402)

thumper 08-19-2011 05:04 PM

Over all game musings

I have not seen a thread of this nature, surprisingly.

So here goes.

I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp the over all team played.

I think Tomlin let them know the effort vs. the Skins was embarrassing.
If anything, I sat there thinking, "The starters are looking good, get
them the F out of the game before anyone gets hurt!"

How sweet was it to see Ben dice the Iggles apart, to see Troy flying
around like a banshee and to see Hines grab a TD, or to see
Mendy running with more authority than I have EVER seen him do
ever before?

If this team stays relatively healthy, they will be right in the mix.

That is a big "IF" but same goes for all contenders.

We might even have found some legit depth at CB, for heaven's sake.

I still hope they find a way to add depth at OT. How bummed out
were you when they had two LTs go down in the first 5 minutes? I
was stressing.

3rdandlong 08-19-2011 05:10 PM

Re: Over all game musings

I was really surprised and impressed by the play of the secondary. They did a great job! I've gotten to use to expecting to see opposing wide receivers wide open, so I was pleantly surprised.

Wallabeast17 08-19-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdandlong (Post 937168)
I was really surprised and impressed by the play of the secondary. They did a great job! I've gotten to use to expecting to see opposing wide receivers wide open, so I was pleantly surprised.

Just waint until the next game against the falcons. I don't see our secondary having the same results againts Matt Ryan and Roddy White/ Julio Jones as they did against the eagles. Although, I hope I'm wrong.

ricardisimo 08-19-2011 05:58 PM

Gay did a great job. No one seems to want to say it, but there you have it. He's not the answer long-term, but when he's good he's good.

Wallace17 08-19-2011 06:24 PM

Please don't ever say gay did a great job. He is poop on a stick. Real test will be against matt ryan. The boys loked very good. I wanna say the dream team can't handle us. Eat it philly.

Wallabeast17 08-19-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace17 (Post 937180)
Please don't ever say gay did a great job. He is poop on a stick. Real test will be against matt ryan. The boys loked very good. I wanna say the dream team can't handle us. Eat it philly.

:rofl:

Danny136200 08-19-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace17 (Post 937180)

But he did, give credit where credit is due.

solardave 08-19-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardisimo (Post 937176)
Gay did a great job. No one seems to want to say it, but there you have it. He's not the answer long-term, but when he's good he's good.

99% bad 1% OK. that's Gay. Can't cover, can't tackle. The 1% is the rare play he makes.

finesward 08-20-2011 09:25 AM

So in one week we went from being the team with the biggest concerns to being a super bowl contender... :rofl:

Maybe it's time you pay homage to me (among many others) who said don't put too much stock in the first preseason game :hatsoff: But if herm edwards said so... who are we to question his (and yours) opinion? How come your vision didn't keep you from freaking out last week after the redskins game and cry chicken little all over the boards?

:coffee:

For the same reason we said don't put too much stock in the last game, I wouldn't go putting too much in this game either. CB and OL will still be major weaknesses against certain teams, while against others it may not be noticeable. I think the strength of the OL is on running downs. If we can continue to be impressive running the ball we will be able to dictate the game and keep defenses guessing. It's on obvious passing downs that we will be in trouble. This is still a new line and I'm confident later in the season they will gel much like they did last year. And if not, well thats why ben gets paid the big bucks, scramble and make something happen with his legs. Was impressed with the shape he is in. Looks in midseason form, but still making some bad decisions with the ball imo. If I see him flail the ball around when he is being tackled like he did so many times last year I'm going to scream.

steelbad@50 08-20-2011 09:38 AM

I personally have never read to much into preseason games, just cant wait till the regular season begins.