Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Maddox wants to be a starter..we all saw this coming !! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=757)

BlitzburghRockCity 05-18-2005 12:34 AM

Maddox wants to be a starter..we all saw this coming !!

Maddox: 'I don't think you ever accept being a backup'

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Veteran quarterback Tommy Maddox is as savvy as they come, a worldly 33-year-old who knows his place in the Steelers organization. You never would catch him saying, "I deserve my job back," or making a ruckus about second-year star Ben Roethlisberger's helmet-less motorcycle journeys.
But make no mistake, there is a fire that burns within the man who carried the Steelers to the 2002 postseason and who put up record-setting numbers a year later while the team slumped to 6-10.

Maddox found himself on the outside looking in last season after a Week 2 elbow injury opened the door for eventual Rookie of the Year Roethlisberger. But, don't count out the Shreveport, La., native.

Not yet.

He believes there is life left in his rangy right arm, which looked solid Tuesday during the opening of month-long voluntary workouts on the South Side. He also declared himself back to full health.

"Yeah, I want to play, and I don't think you ever accept being a backup" said Maddox, who is signed through 2007 and will count $1.35 million against the team's salary cap this season. "I know I can play in this league, and I'm excited about the next opportunity that I will have to play. But I'm not sitting around worrying about that. Things will happen and things will work out. I'm confident out there, and there will be a time and place where I get to go out and play again, whether it's here or there or who knows? I'm not going to sit around and worry about all of that. Things will work out for themselves."

here's the rest

bigbensgirl7 05-18-2005 10:38 AM

Re: Maddox wants to be a starter..we all saw this coming !!

IMO...Maddox was never a guy I saw taking us all the way. He is a good guy to have as a backup if something were to happen. Even when he came in to replace Kordell and had a great year leading us to 10-5-1, I knew he was not the man to lead the team to a SB victory. I do admire how he was a leader on the team, and his class while sitting back and watching our new rookie sensation go on a remarkable run after his injury. However, I really couldn't see the Steelers trading him, because he is a good to have backing up Ben!

RoethlisBURGHer 05-18-2005 01:48 PM

I like Maddox,however I never saw him taking us to a Super Bowl either.

I can see him requesting a trade (in private,not in the newspapers) to a team.He won't make a ruckus,he won't make it a distraction...but we all know he doesn't wanna stay in Pittsburgh and backup Big Ben.Maybe this is why we resigned Batch...maybe they are planning on trading Tommygun away.

clevestinks 05-18-2005 03:12 PM

One reason anyone thought Maddox was so good is because he replaced Kordell. Lets face it Kordell sucked, but we our true Steelers fans who root for whoever wears the Black & Gold. So Maddox looked like an All-Pro. Maddox was a short term answer. He is not the answer now. I understand wanting to play, if he is a true NFL player you wouldn`t want him to be happy not playing. He ought to be happy with that fat paycheck, and the clipboard, he is 33 years old, and has had some scary injuries, he is very lucky to be were he is today. The XFL saved him. Nothing against Tommy, I like the man. And I hope he plays well when called on. He is a class act. But Lets Go Big Ben!!!

BlitzburghRockCity 05-18-2005 06:25 PM

I agree, Maddox wasnt ever intended to be our long term answer, but rather a player who could lead us as veteran and run the offense we had in place, and then groom a young stud QB to take over. Well, so far its happened quite well, maybe not as we planned originally w/ Ben getting thrown into the fire so early last year, but he definately showed up in a big way for us.

Maddox is aguy I'd love to see stick around as a backup for a long time.. he's a leader and respected and still has a good arm.

ironcitychef 05-18-2005 11:53 PM

I'm floating the fence. I think Tommy is our best back up, but if we want to trade him, he won't have a higher value as time goes on. Sell high, buy low. But if you do get rid of him, then I don't feel safe in other back ups.

Prosdo 05-19-2005 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
I like Maddox,however I never saw him taking us to a Super Bowl either.

I can see him requesting a trade (in private,not in the newspapers) to a team.He won't make a ruckus,he won't make it a distraction...but we all know he doesn't wanna stay in Pittsburgh and backup Big Ben.Maybe this is why we resigned Batch...maybe they are planning on trading Tommygun away.

I could see him doing this. Maddox is a classy guy. If he wanted traded he would do it privately probably instead of bringing the media into it big time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcitychef
I'm floating the fence. I think Tommy is our best back up, but if we want to trade him, he won't have a higher value as time goes on. Sell high, buy low. But if you do get rid of him, then I don't feel safe in other back ups.

I agree with you Chef. I can't remember seeing Batch play in NFL action. Sure I have seen him practice, but thats different. I am comfortable with Tommy as our #1 back up. I would like to see him stay at that position. If he goes I really hope Batch can fill in that back up spot well.

STEEL-MAN 05-19-2005 08:38 AM

I don't read much into it, he's a guy that just wants to play... and also has been an upgrade from just about everyone thats been here "except Ben" in the last 20 years. I like his edge!!!

clevestinks 05-19-2005 03:25 PM

I say if he wants traded , then let him go. But there are very few teams looking for a 33 year old starting QB. Probbaly nobody right now. I just think he is a player, and like anyone else he just wants to play.