Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   big ben being over looked (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7619)

Indy_Steelers 06-03-2006 08:08 AM

big ben being over looked

I do not know why this bothers me so much because I kind of like Ben being overlooked/under the radar, and he has still got some growing to do (lets see him build on the SB ring). But putting Eli Manning in front of him? If I remember correctly Ben was the rookie of the year. Payton Manning? He has only won 3 playoff games in 8 years. Carson Palmer? He cannot beat the Steelers. Drew Bledsoe? All the New England fans I know were glad to see him go and all the Dallas fans I know do not think he can win in the playoffs. Kurt Warner? I like him but he is a one hit wonder. They had high expectations last year in Arizona and he flopped. I could go on and on but I will end with Matt Hasselbeck. Super Bowl XL! Need I say more? Ben and Matt played head to head and Ben won! It is all about wins and losses not fantasy stats.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analy...ue=fantasy/nfl

Mosca 06-03-2006 08:12 AM

Re: big ben being over looked

That's for fantasy fooball, not real football. Fantasy football is stat-based. If you try to win fantasy football by going with your feelings, or by counting wins, you will get clocked. Pay it no mind.

Tom

3 to be 4 06-03-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosca
That's for fantasy fooball, not real football. Fantasy football is stat-based. If you try to win fantasy football by going with your feelings, or by counting wins, you will get clocked. Pay it no mind.

Tom

yeah, after SB 36, all the preseason fantasy ratings had Brady around #18.

fantasy leagues are kind of strange to me. they are like people who obsess over Star Wars. Its not even real.

it would be more interesting, if you are going be in make beleieve anyway, to have current players in leagues with players from the past. have a fantasy league season matching teams from now and teams from past decades. at least it would be different.

for all i know, they have that.

but in any case, theres nothing like real football. You know, reality.

Livinginthe past 06-03-2006 10:51 AM

Some people really do seem to have difficulty coming to terms with the differences between fantasy football ratings and real world football.

The Steelers will often pound the ball in from the one, whereas Manning will likely play fake for the TD - more fantasy points.

Up until the playoffs Ben still hadn't really been let off the leash in terms of passing attempts.

Until this coming year Arizona were incapable of running the ball - thats why Josh McCown gets to throw the ball 40 times a game - thats also why Kurt warner is likely to score more fantasy points than Ben R.

I mean, come on, even the link you have provided has the words 'fantasy sports' right there in the URL - this is whole point ...its NOT REAL LIFE.

NM

siss 06-03-2006 11:19 AM

Its not real footbal. If it was then I would feel about Tom Brady, Eli Manning and Micheal Vick as my QBs, but since its not real I'll take Tom.

lamberts-lost-tooth 06-03-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siss
Its not real footbal.

Couldnt agree with you more...I love Fantasy Football...but lets be real, You cannot equate a GOOD qb, with a qb who gives you good FF numbers.. I would never trade Ben for Trent Green or Bledsoe.
In fact all of us have been burned in FF leagues..where we go with our hearts and pick the better qb ...instead of going with a qb who may post better numbers.
In REAL football give me a QB who is willing to win and sacrifice his personal QB numbers anyday..I'll take Ben.

WWIIOwheelz 06-03-2006 12:30 PM

I won the best league I've ever been a part of last year, am so proud! 8]

FF is an absolute blast, and it makes you enjoy the sport as a whole much, much more. You follow all the teams, are helpless to avoid it. You are watching the stat tracker from 1PM Sunday until late Monday night, literally.

The other guys here are right, great fantasy football QBs aren't the best as far as team effort. It's not about individual effort on Sunday, but the Steelers know that very well. Ben, however, is a good 2nd fantasy QB in that he makes very, very few bad decisions.

Elvis 06-03-2006 07:07 PM

I feel like the Steelers get over looked as a whole team. We Won The Super Bowl!! And I all I hear on NFL Network is about T.O. I just hope they keep overlooking us and we repeatm and we get to beat the Bungals to get there again....

Jimmy James 06-03-2006 11:04 PM

I love fantasy football, but I agree with everybody who has said it is very different from real football.

Here's the perfect example Troy Aikman. Troy was *always* a terrible fantasy player, even when he was winning titles for his team. It's very possible that Ben's fantasy fate will be the same.

With all of that said, Ben has some growing to do as a QB. Unless something tragic befalls him, he'll be a better QB 3 years from now than he is today.

William Munney 06-03-2006 11:45 PM

Ben's not about posting #'s just winning. BTW I'm new and I enjoy the Patsies fans here too!:chug: