Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers fully committed to Gilbert (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=76587)

Fire Haley 09-14-2011 02:32 PM

Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday, and the rookie was the Steelers’ first choice to replace Willie Colon after the latter sustained a torn triceps.

The Steelers discussed re-signing Flozell Adams or Max Starks Monday after they learned that Colon had been lost for the season. But they decided to go with Gilbert, the second-round pick out of Florida, and sign a free agent tackle for depth.

Money apparently had nothing to do with them saying thanks but no thanks later when an inquiry was made on Adams’ behalf.

The Steelers are fully committed to Gilbert, and he will get more than one game to prove himself at right tackle.

The Steelers are confident that money or the salary cap won’t be an issue if Gilbert is not ready to start and they have to eventually sign a veteran such as Adams or Starks.

– Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...--------------

So Flo might be an option afterall?

Fire Arians 09-14-2011 02:52 PM

Re: Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

can't wait to see what the kid can bring to the table.

stiller39 09-14-2011 02:56 PM

give the young blood a shot...

DanRooney 09-14-2011 04:18 PM

I wish they would be fully committed to Ziggy Hood. Or maybe Cameron Heyward.

Steeldude 09-14-2011 04:19 PM

if not for the injury gilbert would be on the bench for the next 3+ seasons. it's never good to see a player injured, but this may be good for the steelers. IMO, colon is more of a G than T. if gilbert shows promise then they can move colon to RG next season. now the steelers only need to worry about the one of the tackle spots in 2012.

Steeldude 09-14-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanRooney (Post 943976)
I wish they would be fully committed to Ziggy Hood. Or maybe Cameron Heyward.

when everyone is injured they will. i doubt hood and heyward will see much playing time. heyward won't see any for 2 or 3 years. you must keep the young players on the bench so the washed up players can start :thumbsup:

DanRooney 09-14-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeldude (Post 943978)
when everyone is injured they will. i doubt hood and heyward will see much playing time. heyward won't see any for 2 or 3 years. you must keep the young players on the bench so the washed up players can start :thumbsup:

That's exactly how I feel about it. Heyward was so ****ing good at OSU that it'll frustrate me to see him ride the bench for the season. His transition will be much easier than Ziggy's though so maybe LeBeau will force him in sooner.

truesteelerfan 09-14-2011 04:41 PM

OK- as long as its only 1 game they give him a shot...can't let that position be yet another weak point in our OL if we want to keep Ben healthy....Poor game and I sure hope we bring a veteran FA in.

Fire Arians 09-14-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanRooney (Post 943979)
That's exactly how I feel about it. Heyward was so ****ing good at OSU that it'll frustrate me to see him ride the bench for the season. His transition will be much easier than Ziggy's though so maybe LeBeau will force him in sooner.

they'll wait until keisel is 39 years old and getting bowled over on every other play. wait probably not, smith is doing the same thing right now and not getting benched.

by the time we start heyward, he will be halfway toward retiring and it'll be good to know we wasted his best years before we finally put him in

Steelersfan87 09-14-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeldude (Post 943977)
if not for the injury gilbert would be on the bench for the next 3+ seasons. it's never good to see a player injured, but this may be good for the steelers. IMO, colon is more of a G than T. if gilbert shows promise then they can move colon to RG next season. now the steelers only need to worry about the one of the tackle spots in 2012.

I don't think this would have been the case at all. They drafted Gilbert because they liked him a lot and they wanted him to be the LT of the future. They cut both of their starting tackles. Had Colon not gone down, I'm pretty sure Gilbert would have been allowed to compete for the LT spot during the season, and would most likely have been the starting LT next season. Now it's even more likely that he'll be the starting LT next season since he'll be getting playing time already.

As far as the whole Colon to G crap goes, I don't see the point of moving a player that is quality at his position to a position that he's never played. Colon is a slightly above average RT. There's no need to move him. And Gilbert would have been at LT next year regardless, so moving Colon would mean that you still need a RT. With Gilbert and Colon at the tackle spots and Pouncey at guard, those positions should be set for at least a few years. What is needed is two guards. I don't think Kemoeatu will survive the salary cap next year. Frankly, I hope he doesn't. If the Steelers can draft a guard in the first 3 rounds that is quality and then sign a competent free agent to take the other guard position, I would be pretty content with the o-line.