Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Should Hines Ward still be in the starting rotation? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=76634)

Rush58 09-15-2011 11:29 AM

Should Hines Ward still be in the starting rotation?

he should not be in the rotation as a primary read at this point. wallace, sanders, and brown are all better than ward at this stage. we are still throwing screen type play(s) to ward. it's ridiculous.

steelfury02 09-15-2011 11:31 AM

Re: Should Hines Ward still be in the starting rotation?

hooks, digs, and slants - yes he should be a number 1 or 2 guy - screens and deep balls? Heck to the no.

SoCalFan 09-15-2011 11:48 AM

Screens heck no??? Hes a great screen blocker!Lol...

blackandgoldsc 09-15-2011 12:03 PM

I definitely think he should still be a starter. I think that Hines has some pretty good hands which is valuable and he gets respect from the other team which in turn helps the other WR's be able to execute as well. I think our WR's as a unit are great, this is one area I think we will be good for quite a while (assuming we retain Wallace).

tanda10506 09-15-2011 12:06 PM

Of course he should, every pass play has a receiver running a hook or slant of some sorts. He finds the holes in coverage and is always there when called upon. When someone we have can do it better then yes, now no. And we will NEVER have a better blocking receiver.

Steeldude 09-15-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush58 (Post 944169)
he should not be in the rotation as a primary read at this point. wallace, sanders, and brown are all better than ward at this stage. we are still throwing screen type play(s) to ward. it's ridiculous.

i wouldn't say sanders and brown are better at this point. they are quicker and faster, but no experience running routes or blocking. the bubble screen that arians employs all too often should be trashed. it doesn't matter which WR is on the receiving end. it's an overused play

gloydfan 09-15-2011 12:35 PM

Mendy should be catching all the screens

steelfury02 09-15-2011 12:38 PM

yea - that's what I mean regarding screens - I just wouldn't employee them as much as we do

I have the utmost respect for Hines and believe he should be on the field - just can't honestly sit here and say he is a #1 threat IMHO - teams don't fear him in that way

His role on the Steelers is perfect - don't want to hear about him being a seasoned remove from a 1000 yard season because yard stats mean squat when it comes to winning - how did we fair that season? He is the best blocking receiver in the nfl and in the top 10 possession category for me

steelfury02 09-15-2011 12:39 PM

PLUS when you lead most Steelers receiving records you don't have to convince me of his value

steeltheone 09-15-2011 12:44 PM

Just like in the Ravens game Brown and/0r Sanders will vanish...Hines is still productive!