Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wallace starting a nice run? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=76872)

steelfury02 09-20-2011 09:44 AM

Wallace starting a nice run?

Nice article on post gazette website today:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11263/1176040-66.stm

Some nice stats on Wallace (and Ward!) - Can you imagine a Steeler receiver breaking the single season receiving yards record? Not sure he'll be able to keep up his pace of the past 2 games but my guess he is at least going to top 1500 yards.

The front office is probably hoping he doesn't break any records for the sake of next year's salary cap! Anyhow if Wallace even just ends up having most yards this season I'm sure he'll be asking for top 5 WR money. To me - it is too early to tell what he his worth but if someone forced the decision on me - I'd drop Smith, Foote (maybe Diesel too) to get him his money. If we win #7 this year - I hope Ward does the FO a favor and hangs it up and goes out in style. I'm thinking either Hines or Farrior could go no matter what. Numbers not adding up to keep five all five of these guys. I see at least 3 going.

Danny136200 09-20-2011 12:56 PM

Re: Wallace starting a nice run?

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 945472)
Nice article on post gazette website today:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11263/1176040-66.stm

Some nice stats on Wallace (and Ward!) - Can you imagine a Steeler receiver breaking the single season receiving yards record? Not sure he'll be able to keep up his pace of the past 2 games but my guess he is at least going to top 1500 yards.

The front office is probably hoping he doesn't break any records for the sake of next year's salary cap! Anyhow if Wallace even just ends up having most yards this season I'm sure he'll be asking for top 5 WR money. To me - it is too early to tell what he his worth but if someone forced the decision on me - I'd drop Smith, Foote (maybe Diesel too) to get him his money. If we win #7 this year - I hope Ward does the FO a favor and hangs it up and goes out in style. I'm thinking either Hines or Farrior could go no matter what. Numbers not adding up to keep five all five of these guys. I see at least 3 going.

I believe he is the real deal, the Steelers should sign him next year. And we do have to get younger on defense, so letting go some the Defensive players, who had an absolutely amazing run, is an unfortunate must this upcoming offseason.
I wish those guys can play forever :(

steelfury02 09-20-2011 01:21 PM

Doesn't do much good to speculate (fun to discuss anywho) but season will probably pan out it one of the following ways:

1A. We take care of @Colts, @Texans, Titans, Jacksonville, possibly lose @Arizona (win against Tenn. might go long way in tie-breaker with Ravens)/New England has their way with us again or beats us in a close one/We get revenge against Bmore and win @Cincy for nice wins going into the bye at 7-3 with slight edge in the division
--THEN--
1B. Second half of the season comes along and we go on a great run but drop some dumb away game @Kansas, @San Fran, or @Cleveland . We go 12-4, get the #2 seed yet again, win the divisional game(not against the Ravens for once) BUT finally have to meet with the #1 seed Pats @ New England and we get severely beaten because lord knows we can't beat Brady in the AFC championship game

2A. We don't lose again before bye. We go into beast mode and take care of all games, including Patriots and Ravens back to back. We are sitting atop AFC at 9-1 with a tiebreaker win over New England
--THEN--
2B. We win every game except some dumb away game and finish at 14-2 and hold the tiebreaker over the Pats(also 14-2) for #1 seed. HOWEVER - Brady comes into Heinz again and completely embarrasses us in revenge of the regular season loss (ala 2004) or we shoot ourselves in foot with turnovers

3A. We only lose to New England and are sitting at 8-2 with #2 seed. We only lose one game the rest of the way in the 2nd half and are at 13-3. We face the Jets, Chargers or some surprise team like the Texans or Titans. For some reason I don't see us facing the Ravens again. We go into New England and SHOCK THE WORLD. We win on great defensive play by Troy or some insane scramble by Ben at the goal line. We meet the Packers again and win #7 convincingly. Ben gets Super Bowl MVP and HOF shoe-in. All is right in the world and guys like Ward, Farrior, Smith, Foote, and Kiesel go out in style. OR

4B. None of this happens. We crap the bed and either barely make or miss the playoffs, lose in the wildcard or divisional and guys retire without another ring and we go into retooling mode (ugh).

Even if we win #7 I'm going to have a hard time moving on from some of our leaders of the past 10 years or so. I try to remember how special it was that this group has at least won 2 Super Bowls together. I am really aching to see them seal the deal with a 3rd ring and I think it would rank their potential modern dynasty higher than the Patriots (I'm biased I know) just because of how the Steelers have been able to some extent buck the salary cap era and keep a huge corp of guys together (like the old days). We have won in more unconventional ways which I think sets this team apart. This group would have won it all thrice with A. average to below average offensive line(to put it nicely) B. Unorthodox QB (not a pocket passer like the Bradys/Mannings/Brees/Rodgers) C. 1 good tight end and YOUNG receivers outside of Hines D. Middle of the road running game E. A dominating defense in a time when the league was shifting to be a quick strike offensive game

BIGNASTY91 09-20-2011 03:33 PM

WoW! Thats alot of scenarios there. Guess thats why we play the game? We will see which one is right in the not so distant future!!!!
:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

SteelKid212 09-20-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 945493)
Doesn't do much good to speculate (fun to discuss anywho) but season will probably pan out it one of the following ways:

1A. We take care of @Colts, @Texans, Titans, Jacksonville, possibly lose @Arizona (win against Tenn. might go long way in tie-breaker with Ravens)/New England has their way with us again or beats us in a close one/We get revenge against Bmore and win @Cincy for nice wins going into the bye at 7-3 with slight edge in the division
--THEN--
1B. Second half of the season comes along and we go on a great run but drop some dumb away game @Kansas, @San Fran, or @Cleveland . We go 12-4, get the #2 seed yet again, win the divisional game(not against the Ravens for once) BUT finally have to meet with the #1 seed Pats @ New England and we get severely beaten because lord knows we can't beat Brady in the AFC championship game

2A. We don't lose again before bye. We go into beast mode and take care of all games, including Patriots and Ravens back to back. We are sitting atop AFC at 9-1 with a tiebreaker win over New England
--THEN--
2B. We win every game except some dumb away game and finish at 14-2 and hold the tiebreaker over the Pats(also 14-2) for #1 seed. HOWEVER - Brady comes into Heinz again and completely embarrasses us in revenge of the regular season loss (ala 2004) or we shoot ourselves in foot with turnovers

3A. We only lose to New England and are sitting at 8-2 with #2 seed. We only lose one game the rest of the way in the 2nd half and are at 13-3. We face the Jets, Chargers or some surprise team like the Texans or Titans. For some reason I don't see us facing the Ravens again. We go into New England and SHOCK THE WORLD. We win on great defensive play by Troy or some insane scramble by Ben at the goal line. We meet the Packers again and win #7 convincingly. Ben gets Super Bowl MVP and HOF shoe-in. All is right in the world and guys like Ward, Farrior, Smith, Foote, and Kiesel go out in style. OR

4B. None of this happens. We crap the bed and either barely make or miss the playoffs, lose in the wildcard or divisional and guys retire without another ring and we go into retooling mode (ugh).

Even if we win #7 I'm going to have a hard time moving on from some of our leaders of the past 10 years or so. I try to remember how special it was that this group has at least won 2 Super Bowls together. I am really aching to see them seal the deal with a 3rd ring and I think it would rank their potential modern dynasty higher than the Patriots (I'm biased I know) just because of how the Steelers have been able to some extent buck the salary cap era and keep a huge corp of guys together (like the old days). We have won in more unconventional ways which I think sets this team apart. This group would have won it all thrice with A. average to below average offensive line(to put it nicely) B. Unorthodox QB (not a pocket passer like the Bradys/Mannings/Brees/Rodgers) C. 1 good tight end and YOUNG receivers outside of Hines D. Middle of the road running game E. A dominating defense in a time when the league was shifting to be a quick strike offensive game

dude i am TOTALLY keeping this post all year. I want to see which one of these comes true! Hopefully 3A!!

i woulda added 3B. (Steelers dont loose any more games from now on. Go into playoffs w #1 seed, and win out and beat the pack in the SB, and then everyone can retire happy as can be!!):tt03::thumbsup::drink:

Steel4ever95 09-20-2011 10:05 PM

Wallace seems like the real deal to me, and could go a ways into helping the Steelers taking out the Pats this year. To me the Pats d is not that great, the Phins put up some numbers on them if they can do it so can the Steelers. I would have loved to see what a combo of Wallace and Holmes would have done, I'm still bummed the Steelers let Holmes go.

WickedSteel 09-20-2011 10:11 PM

His success, along with the rest of the team's, all hinges on that O line. He isn't going to be getting the ball much if defenders are in Ben's face constantly.

I thought his desire to get 2,000 yards this year, while optimistic, was a little arrogant and out of line. There are way too many variables to even think that you can sniff 2 grand.

He has the speed and the talent to do it but I think that O line will be his achilles heel in his drive for the record books.

Riddle_Of_Steel 09-21-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSteel (Post 945561)
His success, along with the rest of the team's, all hinges on that O line. He isn't going to be getting the ball much if defenders are in Ben's face constantly.

I thought his desire to get 2,000 yards this year, while optimistic, was a little arrogant and out of line. There are way too many variables to even think that you can sniff 2 grand.

He has the speed and the talent to do it but I think that O line will be his achilles heel in his drive for the record books.

Yeah, with this Oline, Ben isn't going to have the opportunity for many 5-step drops to bomb them downfield to Wallace.

tony hipchest 09-21-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel (Post 945607)
Yeah, with this Oline, Ben isn't going to have the opportunity for many 5-step drops to bomb them downfield to Wallace.

which is fine because arians doesnt employ 3, 5, or 7 step drops in his playbook. he is so far beyond that old school, conventional wisdom way of thinking.

that shit is SO yesterday. he isnt know as the william shatner of OC's for nothing. its because he screws opposing DC's like fine, green, bumpy, alien women of the future, with his mystifying intellect.

with that being said, i agree that the sky (or space and beyond) is the limit for mike wallace.

steelfury02 09-22-2011 02:33 PM

lolololol rothlmao "bumpy green alien women" - sorry for the long op by the way, just passionate about this group of men because the window is closing for a lot of them - just want to see some urgency from them.