Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Timmons & Woodley - Big Money/Few Big Plays (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=77229)

Atlanta Dan 09-28-2011 07:59 AM

Timmons & Woodley - Big Money/Few Big Plays

Good column in the Trib-Review

It's time for the Steelers to face their shortcomings head-on, from the rancid running game to the backward blocking game to allowing some clipboard-holder named Curtis Painter to march the Colts 80 yards for a late tying touchdown.

Start with the defense, if only because it's the most realistic to repair quickly.

From there, start by fixing whatever ails LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, two young men who were rising-star linebackers in the NFL, oh, just a few months ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_759056.html

Woodley always starts slow - to me Timmoins has been a bigger disappointment since i thought this was the year he made the leap to All-Pro status

adamsteve14 09-28-2011 08:26 AM

Re: Timmons & Woodley - Big Money/Few Big Plays

My impression of their situation is this: Woodley has been negatively affected by the drop off in A. Smith's play. Smith isn't eating blocks like he used to and Woodley is catching more double teams than in previous years. Timmons has been staying at home a lot more due to Polamalu's freelancing now that he is healthy again. I also feel like Timmons has to cover up a lot for Farrior in coverage as well.

steelfury02 09-28-2011 08:27 AM

I fully expect 1 of them will get to Schaub - he doesn't have a lot of experience against this defense.

That said - like the article stated, we haven't really had that many blitzes called so we'll see.

StainlessStill 09-28-2011 12:00 PM

3 f*ckin games. Relax. Wait until we gel, put on the snow tires and knock some bitches around here in Nov/December. I have faith in this linebacking core, ESP Timmons. We need him to blow up the middle of the line with his blazing speed with dialed up blitzes. IMHO, Timmons needs to get after the QB more.

tanda10506 09-28-2011 12:09 PM

I agree with Woodley being affected by Smith's poor performance. Woodley uses his power more than his moves as opposed to Harrison who has much better moves. Its harder for a power guy to get through a double team, regardless though, he needs to find a way to do more. We need to blitz him and Harrison more. Timmons is really dissapointing, seems like he has burnt a lot already. Neither of these guys are remotely old and they are now the face and future of the defense, hope these guys step up.

cloppbeast 09-28-2011 12:24 PM

They got what they wanted.

cloppbeast 09-28-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanda10506 (Post 948226)
Woodley uses his power more than his moves as opposed to Harrison who has much better moves.

What does picking up chicks have to do with playing olb? I could care less about Woodley's "moves". :chuckle:

BKAnthem 09-28-2011 12:27 PM

iN 3-4 Defenses...if the DL don't hold the line the lb.'s suffer for it...I remember when the ravens DL when through the same thing and R.Lewis turned into waldo doing an invisible man impersonation....so unless things stabilize up front which means Tomlin and mitchell have to stop being Stubborn and line up Heyward and Hood Next to Snack.....Heyward isn't going to get better watching from the sidelines, you can't imagine what it feels like to get chop blocked you have to experience it...... Play the kids..this is why they were drafted #1 right?

adamsteve14 09-28-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKAnthem (Post 948231)
iN 3-4 Defenses...if the DL don't hold the line the lb.'s suffer for it...I remember when the ravens DL when through the same thing and R.Lewis turned into waldo doing an invisible man impersonation....so unless things stabilize up front which means Tomlin and mitchell have to stop being Stubborn and line up Heyward and Hood Next to Snack.....Heyward isn't going to get better watching from the sidelines, you can't imagine what it feels like to get chop blocked you have to experience it...... Play the kids..this is why they were drafted #1 right?

I agree to an extent. I think a rotation of Hood/Heyward/Keisel would be best. Keisel still has a place in this defense. Smith, not so much.

Steelersfan87 09-28-2011 12:51 PM

It's too early to pass a final verdict on Aaron Smith. It's only 3 games, and before that he hadn't played since October.