Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Get ready for the lean times (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=77458)

steelbad@50 10-02-2011 11:42 PM

Get ready for the lean times

We as Steeler fans have enjoyed so many years of good times that it was bound to happen that we would find ourselves having a season like this, mediocre at best. I know some of u are going to be upset by this and will say i have given up on my team to soon, or i'm not real fan of the team, :blah::blah::blah:. but it is what it is. Our D is slow and old, and if u have been watching the same games i have. I cant remember the last time i saw running backs dominate our defense so easily. As far as our offensive line goes they our constantly on there heels nearly every play, and Big Ben simply holds the ball to long, I blame this on Bruce Arians play calling. The plays simply take to long to develop. We need to use our RBs more in short yardage passing plays not only for running plays. We have a patch work O line because they are expected to hold there blocks for to long,thus they get injured easily, again Arian play calling sucks. I hope I am wrong about everything because I am a diehard Steeler fan, no matter how they do this season or future seasons to come.

tony hipchest 10-03-2011 12:06 AM

Re: Get ready for the lean times

God bless you.

i think i will go plant a garden now.

steelbad@50 10-03-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 950183)
God bless you.

i think i will go plant a garden now.

LOL. :tt04:

steelerjim58 10-03-2011 12:59 AM

I think that if we look at this team objectively, what we have had since Ben took over is an any given Sunday team. Any given Sunday they can look like an elite team. Any given Sunday they can look pretty ordinary and lose to anyone. The offense has been so inconsistent that the defense is constantly under pressure to hold the other team to 14 points or so. And as good as the d has performed statistically it has holes. The dbs seem to be allergic to ints. And for all the talk I hear about the pass rush, I believe it has been overated. Sure the sack numbers are impressive over the years, but with teams throwing 30 plus times, hurries and knockdowns are even more important. They seem to be sorely lacking. Unless my perception is not reality.

All that being said, there is just to much talent on this team to think we are looking at any kind of long term downturn. Shoreing up the o-line is priority number one. As I have said in other discussions, this league is turning into a shootout league. I think it will be quite a while before we see a team win the Super Bowl with less than 30 points.

ricksteelers55 10-03-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerjim58 (Post 950206)
I think that if we look at this team objectively, what we have had since Ben took over is an any given Sunday team. Any given Sunday they can look like an elite team. Any given Sunday they can look pretty ordinary and lose to anyone. The offense has been so inconsistent that the defense is constantly under pressure to hold the other team to 14 points or so. And as good as the d has performed statistically it has holes. The dbs seem to be allergic to ints. And for all the talk I hear about the pass rush, I believe it has been overated. Sure the sack numbers are impressive over the years, but with teams throwing 30 plus times, hurries and knockdowns are even more important. They seem to be sorely lacking. Unless my perception is not reality.

All that being said, there is just to much talent on this team to think we are looking at any kind of long term downturn. Shoreing up the o-line is priority number one. As I have said in other discussions, this league is turning into a shootout league. I think it will be quite a while before we see a team win the Super Bowl with less than 30 points.

Yeah well who cares if teams are moving to pass-happy offenses ? Who cares if 31 teams pass the ball 30+ times a game.I believe that football is a game of mistakes and ball control and if you run the ball effectively I might be wrong but I believe it is the best way to win games because A) You keep the other teams offense off the field and get your D some rest and B) You have less chances of turning the ball over.

I dont care how much we pay Roethlisberger.He will help us get where we want to go but to help us win as many super bowls as we want he need to stay healthy and he will play longer if we get back to a strong running game.

Remember when we were one of the few who played 3-4 before half of the league started doing that too ? Then now that all of the teams are pass-happy teams why not going back to the run heavy offense ?

I tell you once again,go back to an effective run heavy offense and you will be surprise to see how a lot of things will change

Rick5895 10-03-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 (Post 950217)
Yeah well who cares if teams are moving to pass-happy offenses ? Who cares if 31 teams pass the ball 30+ times a game.I believe that football is a game of mistakes and ball control and if you run the ball effectively I might be wrong but I believe it is the best way to win games because A) You keep the other teams offense off the field and get your D some rest and B) You have less chances of turning the ball over.

I dont care how much we pay Roethlisberger.He will help us get where we want to go but to help us win as many super bowls as we want he need to stay healthy and he will play longer if we get back to a strong running game.

Remember when we were one of the few who played 3-4 before half of the league started doing that too ? Then now that all of the teams are pass-happy teams why not going back to the run heavy offense ?

I tell you once again,go back to an effective run heavy offense and you will be surprise to see how a lot of things will change

Couldn't agree more. But as long as we have an OC who doesn't beleive in the use of a fullback, we are going to pass, pass, pass then may be run once in a while. Running the ball is a mindset and this team or coaching staff doesn't have that mindset yet. The only times we have struggles the past number of years is when we have decided to pass the ball all over the field. Even Whiz realized after the '03 season and we went back to ground and pound and went 15-1 and then the next season won a super bowl. Our philosophy on O has to change and that won't change as long as our current OC is here.

ZoneBlitzer 10-03-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 (Post 950217)

I agree. Look what a run first offense did to the Steelers D yesterday. God I hope they fire Arians and go back to Steelers football.

Brice Anthony 10-03-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer (Post 950275)
I agree. Look what a run first offense did to the Steelers D yesterday. God I hope they fire Arians and go back to Steelers football.

EXACTLY!!

harrison'samonster 10-03-2011 08:53 PM

It seems to me that the Steelers have more success when they are a run first team, and every few years they try to change into what most other teams in the league are, pass happy. Those usually are the less successful seasons.

I still have hope that we are going to see some Steelers football some time this season.

BKAnthem 10-04-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer (Post 950275)

Arians isn't a product of Steelers football...i remember when Cowher hired Haslett as D coordinator, he made Haslett learn the Steelers D not implement his own...Tomlin should have forced Arians to do the same