Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Having Serious Doubts About Tomlin (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=77499)

3rdandlong 10-03-2011 10:09 AM

Having Serious Doubts About Tomlin

First of all, Tomlin is nit responsible for everything that is wrong with this team. The offensive line is composed of piss poor players. There's not much you can do to be successful with that. It also looks that the defense is getting old and the talent is eroding. But there are things that a decent coach shouodnhave obviously done.

For over a year it has been apparent that Redman is better than Mendenhall. And it took an injury for Redman to get in the game. If Redman starts against Tennessee, no one is going to doubt that Redman is better than Mendenhall Also, he needed to step in a long ago and tell Arians to stop spreading it out on 3rd down with no one in the backfield to protect Ben. He always gets sacked. Some of our offensive problems could be corrected by doing a few simple things, but Tomlin hasn't changed it.

It looks like Tomlin is more a product of Kevin Colbert and the scouting departments good drafts than anything else. I wouldn't be disappointed if Tomlin was actually fired after this season, but he won't be.

Kanata-Steeler 10-03-2011 10:39 AM

Re: Having Serious Doubts About Tomlin

Tomlin is the head coach, therefore he IS always, and ultimately responsible.
err umm, unless you're Jerry Jones who always meddles with his team/Coaches. ;)

Tomlins experience has mostly been with handling Defense's, not "O",s
The thing is, we already have one of the best Defensive coaches in the league, namely LeBeau.
Tomlin's claim to fame has primarily been in Defensive-only experience.
We need a balance, ie, an Offensive-style head coach would have been better, and if that would have been so, then Ariens would have been fired, or strongly-advised,... years ago.

Tomlin's a good coach, the potential is there, but I can't help but think that becuase Tomlin has no experience in creating and building a great Offense, that now it's really beginning to show, in how Ben and Ariens call those plays. ?

Since we're obviously NOT gonna get rid of Ariens anytime soon,
then Tomlin has to somehow Offensively manage this great Steelers' team. Tomlin has to become an Offensive mastermind coach, and he has to do it NOW ! .
In fact, Tomlin has no choice.

Kingmagyar 10-03-2011 11:21 AM

My two major gripes about Tomlin is he always challenges the most obvious plays that are not in his favor and he defers the kickoff at away games giving the opponet a chance to score first and be up at home. Wouldn't it be better to give your own offense a chance to score first and put the pressure on the other team?

Also of note is the team seems to still make the same mistakes over and over again in terms of personal fouls and mental mistakes. Showing Tomlin's inability to demand discipline and perfection from his players. The running & screen plays Houston ran on us were executed to perfection. Maybe as the team gets younger Tomlin can become the hard coach he was known to be in Tampa and Minnesota.

Fire Arians 10-03-2011 11:32 AM

the guy is slowly getting onto my shit list.

- if he refuses to can arians, I'm going to say he's become part of the problem with our offense
- every time things go bad offensively or defensively, he always has this deer-in-headlights look that is reminiscent of kordell stewart. i've yet to see him gather the team together and take charge.
- he's called a 'player's coach', doesn't a players coach get the team fired up before a game? this team outside of troy P doesn't look fired up one bit.
- he shit the bed from the beginning of the season. i said from the start, if this team cannot get fired up to play baltimore, then this season is going to be a wash. looks like i was correct so far

Buddha Bus 10-03-2011 11:39 AM

I am by no means calling for Mike Tomlin's head, but he does have a tendency to look like a "deer-in-the-headlights" at times as FA has pointed out. He needs to do SOMETHING to fire this team up. I'm tired of the same old coach-speak from him week after week talking about "it's on the tape" and "we acknowledge our failures and will move forward".

What about trying to pump up an obviously disinterested and unprepared football team on the sidelines with some fire and brimstone? Maybe bench a few more guys and send the message that these flat performances are unacceptable and people will be held accountable going forward.

I also may be on the "Tomlin's head on a pike" bandwagon if he doesn't fire Arians after this season. Enough is enough already.

StainlessStill 10-03-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 950308)

- if he refuses to can arians, I'm going to say he's become part of the problem with our offense
- every time things go bad offensively or defensively, he always has this deer-in-headlights look that is reminiscent of kordell stewart. i've yet to see him gather the team together and take charge.
- he's called a 'player's coach', doesn't a players coach get the team fired up before a game? this team outside of troy P doesn't look fired up one bit.
- he shit the bed from the beginning of the season. i said from the start, if this team cannot get fired up to play baltimore, then this season is going to be a wash. looks like i was correct so far

Tomlin takes part in the "Dungy" way. Dungy never believed in getting in the face of grown men and yelling. Being a leader is more than yelling but damn, I've love to see SOME emotion from Tomlin. Reminds me of Cowher in 2006. Lifeless.

Buddha Bus 10-03-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 950319)
Tomlin takes part in the "Dungy" way. Dungy never believed in getting in the face of grown men and yelling. Being a leader is more than yelling but damn, I've love to see SOME emotion from Tomlin. Reminds me of Cowher in 2006. Lifeless.

Yeah, I don't agree with getting into grown men's faces too much either, but in the situation this team's in, it seems appropriate to exercise that muscle a little. The fact that he doesn't do it normally should carry some extra weight behind it when he does.

It doesn't even have to be yelling at them. Just try to show SOME emotion on the sidelines and try to pump these guys up with some positive reinforcement and energy.

plenewken 10-03-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 950308)

I'm starting to believe that the good results the Steelers have had since 2007 have very little to do with Tomlin and much more to do with the legacy Cowher left.
This team plays without pride and discipline.
By the way, who the f*** are the team captains? I don't see anybody firing up the players.

OX1947 10-03-2011 12:11 PM

The reason why Cowher was "lifeless" in 2006 was because he had run his time and his guys tuned him out, especially Big Ben. No coach is immune to it.

desertsteel 10-03-2011 12:14 PM

Boys and girls this is the NFL... or as Rod Woodson would say (repeatedly) the National Football League. The Steelers aren't going to win every game or even close. Heck the year we went 15-1 we got ousted in the playoffs. Tomlin is 39 years old and has gone to two Super Bowls and won one. His defense is OLD and his O-line is patchwork. I'll take Tomlin over Cowher any day, and I liked Cowher a lot.