Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Polamalu Missed Tackles (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=77627)

tunes4life 10-05-2011 08:02 AM

Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
Preface - I realize Troy had more tackles last week than anyone on defense, and I also realize that if the line and LBs were doing there jobs Troy wouldn't have to make as many tackles as he has had to make -

But, with that said, I've never seen Troy miss so many tackles. Picking the wrong angles, tackling too high, not wrapping up, going for the ball and not the tackle.......

He hasn't been in the right places for INTs this year either. Is this the result of an aging defense? I'm not sure. I understand that he is most likely playing a little bit more carefully, instead of just flying into plays headfirst like we've seen of him in the past. But I'll have to admit it worries me a bit. I don't want to see him hurt but I do want my Pro Bowl Troy back! He just signed a huge contract. :noidea:

plenewken 10-05-2011 08:07 AM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tunes4life (Post 950900)
Preface - I realize Troy had more tackles last week than anyone on defense, and I also realize that if the line and LBs were doing there jobs Troy wouldn't have to make as many tackles as he has had to make -

But, with that said, I've never seen Troy miss so many tackles. Picking the wrong angles, tackling too high, not wrapping up, going for the ball and not the tackle.......

He hasn't been in the right places for INTs this year either. Is this the result of an aging defense? I'm not sure. I understand that he is most likely playing a little bit more carefully, instead of just flying into plays headfirst like we've seen of him in the past. But I'll have to admit it worries me a bit. I don't want to see him hurt but I do want my Pro Bowl Troy back! He just signed a huge contract. :noidea:

Although Polamalu is one of my fav Steelers, I have never considered him a great tackler and even him admits that it's not his forte. He's an awesome play reader and will INT passes more than anyone else in the team but he'll miss tackles, even easy ones.

SteeleReign 10-05-2011 08:44 AM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
I think it's more a matter of 1) Troy losing half a step. Can't fault him for that. 2) The rest of the defense not helping. The pass rush was what typically allowed Troy to make the splash play. Troy is instinctual. If the QB is given too much time, Troy's advantage is lost.

We have no pass rush...ergo...Troy not making many plays other than tackles. Think of our one takeaway this season. QB pressure (strip sack), Troy in the right place....TD.

tony hipchest 10-05-2011 03:11 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
troy hasnt lost a step!

people need to go back and re-watch every missed tackle from this season. just about EVERY one is because troy is running faster than a speeding bullet and it is very difficult to change that trajectory and react to a quicker than a blink juke.

the good thing is not everybody can juke like that, and troy usually gets them. the move arian foster put on him in the backfield seals him as an upper eschelon back in this game, with reflexes of a cat. cant blame troy for that. if he had actually SLOWED down he probably makes that tackle.

kirklandrules 10-05-2011 03:51 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
No, Troy didn't lose a step. As much as he makes splash plays, he also will miss some tackles because he is usually giving his best impression of a jet fighter by flying to the point of attack. Hell, if you're going to make a mistake, do it at 100 mph. It's not a big deal when the Steelers win, but it sure does make some critical when they lose.

SteeleReign 10-05-2011 04:34 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
Maybe Troy hasn't lost a step. Hard to say for sure because he was so much faster to react than most. Troy's issues are more related to the lack of QB pressure. There's no backfield in history that could cover if the QB has all day to throw.

DanRooney 10-05-2011 04:37 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
What the **** is everyone talking about?

Troy, Taylor and Harrison are the only players who care out there. Everyone else seems to not give a shit this season.

SteeleReign 10-05-2011 04:40 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanRooney (Post 951007)
What the **** is everyone talking about?

Troy, Taylor and Harrison are the only players who care out there. Everyone else seems to not give a shit this season.

Not talking about who cares and who doesn't. Just talking about why Troy isn't racking up all the splash plays as usual. I don't think it has much to do with Troy as it does a lack of pass rush.

Steelers17 10-05-2011 05:47 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 950983)
troy hasnt lost a step!

people need to go back and re-watch every missed tackle from this season. just about EVERY one is because troy is running faster than a speeding bullet and it is very difficult to change that trajectory and react to a quicker than a blink juke.

the good thing is not everybody can juke like that, and troy usually gets them. the move arian foster put on him in the backfield seals him as an upper eschelon back in this game, with reflexes of a cat. cant blame troy for that. if he had actually SLOWED down he probably makes that tackle.

There, it is settled and Troy has not lost a step. Placed in context that he is significantly older, coming off serious knee and Achilles injuries, and that his weight may soon reach Jenny Craig figures, he has defied human physiology and indeed, has NOT lost a step!

:tt03:

Sixburgher 10-05-2011 05:52 PM

Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelers17 (Post 951020)
There, it is settled and Troy has not lost a step. Placed in context that he is significantly older, coming off serious knee and Achilles injuries, and that his weight may soon reach Jenny Craig figures, he has defied human physiology and indeed, has NOT lost a step!

:tt03:

What, no Ayn Rand quote? :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum