Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Special meeting to discuss revenue sharing (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=784)

BlitzburghRockCity 05-23-2005 12:10 AM

Special meeting to discuss revenue sharing

NFL owners will hold a special meeting in Washington, D.C., Tuesday and Wednesday on an issue that tests the league like none other in the past 45 years, according to Dan Rooney.

The league that has been a model of revenue sharing among its franchises since 1960 is fast splitting into the haves and haves-not. Unless new guidelines are forged soon it threatens to disrupt the NFL's competitive balance and endanger the chances of extending the collective bargaining agreement that has been the most successful in pro sports.

"I think this takes us back to 1960 when we decided to split the television revenue equally," Rooney said. "It's as big as that because the disparity between the top team and the bottom team has grown phenomenally and the projection out into the future is just mind-boggling."

While the league shares income from its national television contract, ticket sales and national marketing, much of the local revenue generated in other areas by individual teams is not shared. Examples of the revenue teams may keep all to themselves are local radio and television deals, advertising in stadiums and on scoreboards, sponsorships and profits from other marketing plans, some lounge-box rentals, and naming rights for stadiums, practice fields, individual halls of fame and others.

"I'm not saying all that revenue should be shared," Rooney said. "What I'm saying to you is that is what has created the disparity. That is the issue. You have very active teams on both ends saying we should give more or saying we can't give any more. That's where it is."

Teams such as Arizona, Indianapolis, Minnesota and Atlanta do not attract the kinds of revenue others like New England and Dallas bring in. As a result, the salary cap and/or salary floor represents different percentages to different teams. The disparity becomes more like the New York Yankees and Pirates, and everyone knows what that's doing to baseball.

Without an expanded revenue-sharing agreement among its owners, there likely will be no extension of the CBA. If that does not happen, there will be an uncapped year in 2007.

"The revenue-sharing issue is critical," Rooney said.

ironcitychef 05-23-2005 12:35 PM

Re: Special meeting to discuss revenue sharing

Surprising that this issue, which could shape the NFL for the next 30 years, is not getting much coverage or analysis. NHL and NBA could be lockout. MLB is divided with haves and have nots. The NFL is thriving despite Dallas and Washington feeling they give too much. Hopefully everyone remembers the game is bigger than any team.

bigbensgirl7 05-23-2005 01:00 PM

WOW, I suprised too there hasn' been more coverage on this subject either. Actually...I haven't seen anything about this. One of the major reasons I can't get into MLB is that it doesn't seem fair to the teams with less money. They are the ones that can afford the best players, and the teams with less money seem to build these players, and once they are good...they go somewhere else. It seems like a vicious cycle to me. I like the cap in football. It evens out the game, and I don't want to think about what might happen to the league if they vote against the revenue sharing.

RoethlisBURGHer 05-23-2005 01:43 PM

If the league goes uncapped in 2007,we're screwed.

Snyder will buy up all the talent and win a Super Bowl. *shudders at the thought of Dan Snyder winning a SB* Hell would freeze over,the ice caps would melt,and we would all die.

However,a majotiry of the league likes the revenue sharing and the salary cap,so I doubt we'll have an "uncapped" year.

clevestinks 05-23-2005 03:29 PM

I think the reason for so little coverage is because the contract is still a couple years away. The NFL was smart enough to get going on this early.

Prosdo 05-23-2005 04:54 PM

I would like to see the media cover this a little more. The NFL definitely is thinking ahead. Unfortunately a lot of other professional sports did not do so.

BlitzburghRockCity 05-23-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevestinks
I think the reason for so little coverage is because the contract is still a couple years away. The NFL was smart enough to get going on this early.

thats exactly right cleve.. dan rooney and the rest of the owners are working hard w/ the players union to renew to bargaining agreement so we dont end up like the NHL and possibly the NBA soon as well.

while its still awhile away yet, it'll sneak up on us real quick if we arent careful.

clevestinks 05-23-2005 05:20 PM

Rooneys are always on the front lines, props to them. We are lucky to have such owners

BlitzburghRockCity 05-23-2005 05:34 PM

makes u feel really fortunate we dont run our club like the clowns do! :rolleyes: they're roster and staff is like musical chairs!

clevestinks 05-23-2005 05:38 PM

The browns are not a real NFL team anyway, just flag league :)