Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mad Propers to ESPN (World Cup Related) (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7951)

Suitanim 06-15-2006 06:11 PM

Mad Propers to ESPN (World Cup Related)

They have blitzed the station and their mag with ads and coverage and really tried to light a little fire under the American public concerning soccer.

It failed.

I think it's interesting to note that more US kids play soccer than any other sport. I played soccer one spring instead of baseball. You think it's boring to watch? Hell, it's boring to play.

Anyway, Romey is right. Why WOULD the US deny a sport that combines all the crazy action of 3-4 hour games that often end up in zero/zero ties? Or the drunken hooliganism, the riots, the racism, the pageantry of violence? Hard to fathom isn't it?

83-Steelers-43 06-15-2006 07:07 PM

Re: Mad Propers to ESPN (World Cup Related)

I came away from each game with the realization that watching soccer is an excellent sleeping aid.

Let's kick the ball back and forth for four hours. Every once in a while there will be a shot on net and if your really lucky a goal will occur.

You can also watch actors, whoops! I mean athletes fall to the ground in agony as if they were shot by a high-powered rifle after getting grazed by an opposing player. Just not my cup of tea.

tony hipchest 06-15-2006 07:08 PM

rome on soccer are some of the greatest takes ever. almost as good as rome on raiderfan.

Suitanim 06-15-2006 08:16 PM

Look, I know the rest of the World loves the sport, so I want to be careful in the exact way I rip this POS sport apart. I start by establishing, AGAIN, that I played it and gave it a fair shake, and this was WAY back in the day, probably circa 1983 or so.

It's just horrible. It's the puss-out for parents who are scared to let their kids play REAL contact sports. I remember running for like 3 hours, and sometimes kicking the ball. The worst part was that I was the only athlete on the team, and, although a couple other kids had played more soccer than me, I was the second best player on the team behind the Spanish/Mexican/Rican kid...

Kickers are forged in the hot irons of playing soccer, and Jack Lambert makes no bones about telling you how inportant kickers are to the NFL.

Petesburgh66 06-17-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim
It's just horrible. It's the puss-out for parents who are scared to let their kids play REAL contact sports.

Just like Baseball, the great American past time. :rolleyes: I find real funny that people who hate soccer can watch baseball.

83-Steelers-43 06-17-2006 03:16 PM

I'm curious to see the ratings for the WC in the USA.

Suitanim 06-18-2006 04:31 PM

See, here's the thing...I at least respect the people who like the sport enough to start a seperate rant thread, and don't invade their threads to bitch.

I tried to watch yesterday. I was lucky, because the two times I tuned in were the same two times the only two goals were scored...even that wasn't very exciting.

83-Steelers-43 06-18-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim
See, here's the thing...I at least respect the people who like the sport enough to start a seperate rant thread, and don't invade their threads to bitch.

LOL...yeah. I enjoy watching the USA team if I happen to be home and they are on. That's about it. I really don't care what happens between Sweden and Ghana.

SteelerDan43 06-18-2006 08:06 PM

The more I watch the game and read and keep up with it the more I get into it, watching a guy like Ronaldhino or Henry with the ball in open space one on one is just beautiful.

Suitanim 06-18-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
The more I watch the game and read and keep up with it the more I get into it, watching a guy like Ronaldhino or Henry with the ball in open space one on one is just beautiful.

I'll take this opportunity to NOT do to you what countless others over the last 10 years have done to me, and that's run you down for liking a sport I don't like just because I don't get it.

You have soccer, I have NASCAR.