Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bush Administration Quietly Plans NAFTA Super Highway... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8001)

Stlrs4Life 06-17-2006 10:22 AM

Bush Administration Quietly Plans NAFTA Super Highway...

Quietly but systematically, the Bush Administration is advancing the plan to build a huge NAFTA Super Highway, four football-fields-wide, through the heart of the U.S. along Interstate 35, from the Mexican border at Laredo, Tex., to the Canadian border north of Duluth, Minn.

Once complete, the new road will allow containers from the Far East to enter the United States through the Mexican port of Lazaro Cardenas, bypassing the Longshoreman?s Union in the process. The Mexican trucks, without the involvement of the Teamsters Union, will drive on what will be the nation?s most modern highway straight into the heart of America. The Mexican trucks will cross border in FAST lanes, checked only electronically by the new ?SENTRI? system. The first customs stop will be a Mexican customs office in Kansas City, their new Smart Port complex, a facility being built for Mexico at a cost of $3 million to the U.S. taxpayers in Kansas City.

As incredible as this plan may seem to some readers, the first Trans-Texas Corridor segment of the NAFTA Super Highway is ready to begin construction next year. Various U.S. government agencies, dozens of state agencies, and scores of private NGOs (non-governmental organizations) have been working behind the scenes to create the NAFTA Super Highway, despite the lack of comment on the plan by President Bush. The American public is largely asleep to this key piece of the coming ?North American Union? that government planners in the new trilateral region of United States, Canada and Mexico are about to drive into reality.

Just examine the following websites to get a feel for the magnitude of NAFTA Super Highway planning that has been going on without any new congressional legislation directly authorizing the construction of the planned international corridor through the center of the country.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15497

How in the heck is this good for America? Another case of Dumbya putting it to the regular working man. Doesn't surprise me though.

Livinginthe past 06-17-2006 01:29 PM

Re: Bush Administration Quietly Plans NAFTA Super Highway...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Quietly but systematically, the Bush Administration is advancing the plan to build a huge NAFTA Super Highway, four football-fields-wide, through the heart of the U.S. along Interstate 35, from the Mexican border at Laredo, Tex., to the Canadian border north of Duluth, Minn.

Once complete, the new road will allow containers from the Far East to enter the United States through the Mexican port of Lazaro Cardenas, bypassing the Longshoreman?s Union in the process. The Mexican trucks, without the involvement of the Teamsters Union, will drive on what will be the nation?s most modern highway straight into the heart of America. The Mexican trucks will cross border in FAST lanes, checked only electronically by the new ?SENTRI? system. The first customs stop will be a Mexican customs office in Kansas City, their new Smart Port complex, a facility being built for Mexico at a cost of $3 million to the U.S. taxpayers in Kansas City.

As incredible as this plan may seem to some readers, the first Trans-Texas Corridor segment of the NAFTA Super Highway is ready to begin construction next year. Various U.S. government agencies, dozens of state agencies, and scores of private NGOs (non-governmental organizations) have been working behind the scenes to create the NAFTA Super Highway, despite the lack of comment on the plan by President Bush. The American public is largely asleep to this key piece of the coming ?North American Union? that government planners in the new trilateral region of United States, Canada and Mexico are about to drive into reality.

Just examine the following websites to get a feel for the magnitude of NAFTA Super Highway planning that has been going on without any new congressional legislation directly authorizing the construction of the planned international corridor through the center of the country.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15497

How in the heck is this good for America? Another case of Dumbya putting it to the regular working man. Doesn't surprise me though.

Well I suppose the initial construction contracts will be worth alot of money - and should put money in the hnads of the working man.

I can see how, long term, this road could be a disadvantage - with cheap goods being transported into the country by cheap labor behind the wheel of a mexican truck.

The cost of just the Indiana section alone will amount to 1.8 billion dollars, of which the American taxpayer will be expected to contribute 1.44 billion (approx 80%).

So, it seems that you will be paying for the privelege of putting other Americans out of work.

Factor in costs to the environment, which is something the Bush government doesn't seem to bothered about anyway, and you have a pretty dangerous proposition to the average American.

Its good that people are becoming aware of this, lets hope it doesnt become another pro-Bush/ anti-Bush mudslinging exercise - there are much bigger issues at stake here.

Nice find Stlrs4life.

NM

MattsMe 06-17-2006 06:06 PM

:coffee: I first read about this when Clinton was still in office. This little project is not Bush's baby.

tony hipchest 06-17-2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattsMe
:coffee: I first read about this when Clinton was still in office. This little project is not Bush's baby.

the republican congress's baby?

Hawk Believer 06-17-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest

I think this one has to be pinned on both parties.

I remember back in high school having to read an article by Gore Vidal in which he thesis was we really have a 1 party system. The two parties agree on 95% of the status quo and make a big deal about some realtively inconsequential things to make us feel like we have a vigorous government that considers all sides of every issue.

I don't fully agree with that, but I do think NAFTA is a case that fits well into his theory. The left and the right pushed this along without much debate. And there sure seemed to be a lot of the people who they represent who don't agree with it. Ultimately I think that both the Republicans and Democrats were looking out mostly for multinational corporations when they passed NAFTA.

Course then we get into the classic Wallmart debate - are poor Americans served better by low cost of goods and crappy jobs or better jobs with higher prices? Guess it doesn't matter what we think if the WTO continues to dictate market rules...

MattsMe 06-17-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest

I think it's just Washington's baby. But that won't matter much, it'll be widely viewed as a conspiracy by the current administration before too long.

CAH 06-17-2006 10:22 PM

Clinton signed NAFTA. I was busy fighting against it.

Suitanim 06-18-2006 04:56 PM

NAFTA was supposed to create a powerful bloc of Western Hemisphere allies to keep costs down in a fight against the European bloc and the Pacific Rim bloc.

This 15 year old idea of a super highway would have made sense if any of the shit that NAFTA was supposed to do actually came to pass.

The article above is completely irrelevant...

Stlrs4Life 06-18-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattsMe

Don't care, your boy isn't doing anything to stop it. And it was a Republican Congress with Clinton to pass it, and even though Clinton made the mistake to sign NAFTA, Dumbya Sr. started NAFTA.

MattsMe 06-18-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Don't care, your boy isn't doing anything to stop it. And it was a Republican Congress with Clinton to pass it, and even though Clinton made the mistake to sign NAFTA, Dumbya Sr. started NAFTA.

"My boy?" That pretty much says it all.