Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lack of running game//// (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=81727)

StainlessStill 12-20-2011 01:07 AM

Lack of running game////
 
Shocked to see the Steelers not run the ball more often tonight. I think it's a fair observation that givin' our recent troubles heading into 9'er stadium with a very gimpy QB, that the run game needed to show up. Disappointed to see absolutely no sense of urgency with what was at stake when it came to bigtime situations.

Ben throwing it for almost 50 times on a shattered ankle just doesn't sit right with me. It's not like we were down by 30 to abandon the run at any point. I actually thought Mendenhall has a decent game. Should have fed the backs more to atleast keep the defense honest. Mendy averaged 4.3 yards on only 15 carries with a gimp QB.:banging:

Bayz101 12-20-2011 01:09 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 972913)
Shocked to see the Steelers not run the ball more often tonight. I think it's a fair observation that givin' our recent troubles heading into 9'er stadium with a very gimpy QB, that the run game needed to show up. Disappointed to see absolutely no sense of urgency with what was at stake when it came to bigtime situations.

Ben throwing it for almost 50 times on a shattered ankle just doesn't sit right with me. It's not like we were down by 30 to abandon the run at any point. I actually thought Mendenhall has a decent game. Should have fed the backs more to atleast keep the defense honest. Mendy averaged 4.3 yards on only 15 carries with a gimp QB.:banging:

Mendenhall was running with purpose tonight, and more of it would've been nice. BA's playcalling was terrible though. Everytime Mendy gained more than 5, he ran it again. And every time, he was stuffed.

JCPsteelers 12-20-2011 01:09 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Bottom line other than misdirection draws and gadgets runs, we can't line up and run the ball from the power I with this offensive line. We tried but the 49ers defense stood up our OL.


Offensive line needs to be revamped.

tony hipchest 12-20-2011 01:11 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
good thing there wasnt an earthquake/tsunami/blackout, with ben in a full leg cast.

...arians woulda called 65 pass plays to "trick" the opposition.

:muhaha:

StainlessStill 12-20-2011 01:14 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayz101 (Post 972915)
Mendenhall was running with purpose tonight, and more of it would've been nice. BA's playcalling was terrible though. Everytime Mendy gained more than 5, he ran it again. And every time, he was stuffed.

15 carries is just a very low amount considering it was a very close game for the majority of the time. It would also be nice to see us mix up our run game when we DO run it as far as direction. Very rarely do I ever see Mendenhall pound it to the left side of the line. Always running right about 90% of the time. Just a lackluster performance with such an incredible opportunity right in the palm of our hands.

Bayz101 12-20-2011 01:17 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 972926)
15 carries is just a very low amount considering it was a very close game for the majority of the time. It would also be nice to see us mix up our run game when we DO run it as far as direction. Very rarely do I ever see Mendenhall pound it to the left side of the line. Always running right about 90% of the time. Just a lackluster performance with such an incredible opportunity right in the palm of our hands.

Yeah, the running game has potential to flourish, but it's not being handled right. We have an excellent group of RB's, and between the three we used, we ran it 19 times. That's not good.

ricardisimo 12-20-2011 02:49 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Arians simply doesn't understand the relationship of adjacent plays. Every play is in it's own universe, which is why there are no real bootlegs or screen plays to running backs (they are rare, anyways). That also means every play is just as good an opportunity for a long bomb as any other. Using a successful run up the gut to set up a screen or even another run, but to the outside, or even some gadgetry with the RB tossing it back to Ben, or... whatever.

No. Run right guard. Run right guard again. Then on third and short: obvious passing down, long bomb. It's frustrating, and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Every week I will bring this up: when will Bruce Arians put two consecutive good showings together? Dick Lebeau has bad weeks, but he also regularly puts together strings of four, five, six+ weeks of dominating performances. When Bruce? When?

Rick5895 12-20-2011 05:35 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 972913)
Shocked to see the Steelers not run the ball more often tonight. I think it's a fair observation that givin' our recent troubles heading into 9'er stadium with a very gimpy QB, that the run game needed to show up. Disappointed to see absolutely no sense of urgency with what was at stake when it came to bigtime situations.

Ben throwing it for almost 50 times on a shattered ankle just doesn't sit right with me. It's not like we were down by 30 to abandon the run at any point. I actually thought Mendenhall has a decent game. Should have fed the backs more to atleast keep the defense honest. Mendy averaged 4.3 yards on only 15 carries with a gimp QB.:banging:

We ran the ball 19 times for 84 yards (4.4 avg), and passed 44 times. We held the T.O.P 31:26 to 28:34. Just an awful game plan offensively considering our QB was beat up. No continuity or flow to the offense. The Niners took away the deep throws, so what do we do, keep trying to throw deep. We are going to see more of this with Bruce as OC.

Rick5895 12-20-2011 05:42 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCPsteelers (Post 972916)
Bottom line other than misdirection draws and gadgets runs, we can't line up and run the ball from the power I with this offensive line. We tried but the 49ers defense stood up our OL.


Offensive line needs to be revamped.

Misdirection or rather the counter has always been a staple of the Steelers O. Draws, or gadget runs as you put it, are effective when playing a stout D. Running the football is attitude and rhythm, Something we are not going to have with this OC.
Our OL is a work in progress but with Bruce as the OC we will never have even a little balance.
Our offensive firepower is at WR, but we still need to run the ball better, but I'm not ready to put all the blame on the OL. Our OC with his ridiculous game planning and his inability to adjust to the other team is more of the cause to our lousy offensive showing. With the talent we have on O we should be putting up 28-30 points every game.

Eztarget 12-20-2011 07:37 AM

Re: Lack of running game////
 
No one is running on the 49ers this year. We did okay against them last night. The real question is why didn't they use the 49ers aggressive pass rush against them? Draw them in and throw some RB screens.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum