Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Big Ben scoffs at suggestions he needed painkillers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=81761)

mesaSteeler 12-20-2011 06:25 AM

Big Ben scoffs at suggestions he needed painkillers

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Big Ben scoffs at suggestions he needed painkillers

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO Ben Roethlisberger said he didn't take any painkilling injections before playing through a high-ankle sprain in a 20-3 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night.

"We heard that (ESPN analyst) Steve Young and those guys say that before pre-game, 'Oh, he'll go shoot it up.' No we don't do that," Roethlisberger said. "They would never put me out there and endanger me or anybody on this team. There was no injection there was two Tylenols and two Advil."

That Roethlisberger took anything stronger for the pain caused by he injury to hs left ankle was a source of contention in a quiet Steelers' locker room. As he wrapped Roethlisberger's foot before the veteran quarterback talked to reporters, Steelers head trainer John Norwig said angrily, "He played without a needle."

Said Roethlisberger, "I just think it's silly that they assume that's what you've got to do. Obviously we could have done that and it would have helped a lot but that's kind of crazy to take that chance because you can further injure yourself."

Roethlisberger was considerably harder on himself after throwing three interceptions and losing a fumble. He put the loss that cost the Steelers a chance to taking control of the AFC North race on himself.

"It's very frustrating to feel like you've let down your team and your fans, your coaches. It's tough," Roethlisberger said after throwing for 330 yards in his first game since sustaining the first high-ankle sprain of his career. "I'm not going to make excuses. I played a bad football game and I turned the ball over and that one's on me. I just didn't play good football. They flat out beat us. I need to be a lot better. "I was probably the best 49er tonight."

Roethlisberger said coach Mike Tomlin wanted to take him out in the fourth quarter, after the 49ers had opened up a 17-point lead.

"I said, 'No, I'm not putting Charlie (Batch) in that situation and I'm not quitting on my guys," Roethlisberger said. "I started this thing and I'm going to finish it."

The Steelers have a short week, as they play Saturday against visiting St. Louis. Roethlisberger said he will play against the Rams if he has any say in the decision.

"I want to be out there," Roethlisberger said. "It's their call to say yes or no. I'll go out and play at five percent. I told coach (Tomlin) I could give it everything I've got (against the 49ers) and obviously it wasn't good enough."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Big Ben scoffs at suggestions he needed painkillers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1h4q90xIa

Curtain_of_Steel 12-20-2011 09:04 AM

Re: Big Ben scoffs at suggestions he needed painkillers

First off Young is an elitest fool. Certain people in the league want to diminish people character and will, Young is one of them.

LOL @ Tomlin said, geez aw shucks Ben, lets put Charlie in there as the sacrificial lamb to get killed. Ben says no its not fair, my guys will block for me, won't they?LOL Let me finish and be totally killed out there.

Um no Ben they won't...Your line sucks.

Again, I personally want Ben out there every dam play. Regardless of his past, I'm a 100% Ben fan. But who runs this team? This article says a lot. Tomlin is just a someone wearing the headset on the sideline. He is lucky he has talent around him in the past, its becoming clear its not his coaching prowless.

queeg 12-20-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel (Post 973106)
First off Young is an elitest fool. Certain people in the league want to diminish people character and will, Young is one of them.

LOL @ Tomlin said, geez aw shucks Ben, lets put Charlie in there as the sacrificial lamb to get killed. Ben says no its not fair, my guys will block for me, won't they?LOL Let me finish and be totally killed out there.

Um no Ben they won't...Your line sucks.

Again, I personally want Ben out there every dam play. Regardless of his past, I'm a 100% Ben fan. But who runs this team? This article says a lot. Tomlin is just a someone wearing the headset on the sideline. He is lucky he has talent around him in the past, its becoming clear its not his coaching prowless.

Depth at linebacker is our problem...wish Heyward would slim down and become middle line backer

MasterOfPuppets 12-20-2011 10:39 AM

i'm pretty sure max starks shot up some morphine before the game....:doh:

MasterOfPuppets 12-20-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queeg (Post 973141)
Depth at linebacker is our problem...wish Heyward would slim down and become middle line backer

your post is regrettable. support you teem rednevk...:tt04:

MzunguT 12-20-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel (Post 973106)

Bashing Tomlin seems to be the in-thing now. I can't say that I can argue with you about his coaching abilities as far as football goes, because I'm still learning about it. But I know one thing, having seen it more than enough in sports: you cannot live as long as Mike Tomlin is with the Steelers now and just do it from the past. If you don't have a grip on the team and do some stuff right in the locker room, things desintegrate much faster than you think. Does not mean he's perfect or that he shouldn't address some problems.. but he surely is not just wearing a headset.

Kanata-Steeler 12-20-2011 04:22 PM

I just wish, Ben would stop trying to be the "Steve Austin> -6 Milliion Dollar man, and start trying to be more like Terry Bradshaw -the underpaid QB that brought us 4 SB's. -fuk the 6-dink man.

Sixburgher 12-20-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzunguT (Post 973298)
Bashing Tomlin seems to be the in-thing now.

It's also completely off base. Just ask Norv Turner how being handed a team loaded with talent works out if you can't actually perform the duties of a head coach worth a damn. If any schmuck could do the job, it wouldn't pay 7 figures.

Sixburgher 12-20-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler (Post 973321)
I just wish, Ben would stop trying to be the "Steve Austin> -6 Milliion Dollar man, and start trying to be more like Terry Bradshaw -the underpaid QB that brought us 4 SB's. -fuk the 6-dink man.

You do realize Bradshaw threw 212 TDs against 210 INTs and barely completed half the passes he threw for his career, right? I do wish Ben had his offensive line, though.

stb_steeler 12-20-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 973145)
i'm pretty sure max starks shot up some morphine before the game....:doh:

Max misses his couch
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...5050/Couch.jpg