Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Refereeing in general (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=83567)

steelerchad 01-15-2012 06:23 PM

Refereeing in general

It's bad and getting worse.

What is helmet to helmet and when should it be called? I have no f***in idea anymore.

How can a referee analyze the Greg Jennings fumble for several minutes with all the best angles and determine that wasn't a f***in fumble is beyond me?

There are so many bad and missed calls, It's making this game almost unwatchable.

I'm tired of seeing 60 pass games with both teams scoring in the 30's. When's the last time a QB threw for 4 TD's and 450 yards and lost?

Relax the rules, let the teams play defense, then the refs won't have so many penalties to call, which they will mostly mess up anyway.

harrison'samonster 01-15-2012 06:29 PM

Re: Refereeing in general

They either need to go the opposite way. If they've got all of these ridiculous rules, call them evenly. That blown call on the fumble was a joke. I understand that people make mistakes and referees are only human, but if you've got that replay you gotta call it a fumble. And that's what makes that blown call so bad.

I agree the refs are terrible. Refs either need to loosen up on the rules, or take control of the game. They've got to go one way or the other and stick with it.

ItalianSteelersFan178443 01-15-2012 08:54 PM

That NYG/GB was soo badly refed that I actually wanted to watch our loss to the Broncos. They missed that Jennings fumble and even though it didn't end up costing the Giants it could have. They missed soo many personal fouls that could have made the Giants win so much more easier and that stupid Roughing The Rodgers penalty was biggeer bs than Tebow beating us.

Goodell brain washed what used to be decent referees into absolute crap refs. His stupid "Keep The Players Safe" talk is so bad and it is terribly ironic. No helmet-to-helmet contact, but if the ball carrier is running it is fair game and also if the QB is out of the pocket it is fair game. And idk how if one Steeler player commits a personal foul they get fines $40,000, but if any other player commits a personal foul they either dont get fined or they get fined $15,000. He needs to go and James Harrison needs to become Commissioner

BigRick 01-15-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 984650)
It's bad and getting worse.

What is helmet to helmet and when should it be called? I have no f***in idea anymore.

How can a referee analyze the Greg Jennings fumble for several minutes with all the best angles and determine that wasn't a f***in fumble is beyond me?

There are so many bad and missed calls, It's making this game almost unwatchable.

I'm tired of seeing 60 pass games with both teams scoring in the 30's. When's the last time a QB threw for 4 TD's and 450 yards and lost?

Relax the rules, let the teams play defense, then the refs won't have so many penalties to call, which they will mostly mess up anyway.

As a fan who like defense I'm totaly with you. The rules aren't applied equally. How in the hell was that a helmet to helmet hit? Also what did that blind ass ref do with his glasses on the Jennings fumble? I guess next year the DL will have to play with one hand tied behind their backs.:banging::banging:

TRH 01-15-2012 09:44 PM

it's been terrible.

I think the league office has the ref's so confused with rules and fines that they're like bumbling idiots out there, not sure what to do half the time.
ALSO, i think the league has the crew paralyzed with fear that if they must throw flags on certain hits, certain teams, certain players, while also protecting other big names as well, that its just a complete mess out there.

The ref's remind me of typical employees or contractors anywhere.......so fearful of p***ing off their supervisors, that they do their job in paralysis and fear.

ItalianSteelersFan178443 01-15-2012 10:33 PM

Agreed TRH, Goodell has these guys thinking about what would happen if they didn't call the penalties instead of them thinking as a referee. And the reason?? Because 1 weekend of football last season that coincidentally got 5 players hurt with concussions; 4 of them legal hits (B. Meriweather hit was dirtier than anything), but really if maybe 2 of those hits happen than all of this "Protect The Player" or "Helmet-To-Helmet" or "Concussion' junk would probably never have been brought up at all. Goodell has changed the look of football forever because now defenses cannot play defense anymore. DB's and LB's are now forced to let the receiver make a football move or land on the ground before they even allowed to touch them. That is horse s***. Players want to get hit, that is why they have always played the game. Goodell is the reason why Drew Brees broke Dan Marino's record. Goodell turned this league into a passing league and soon enough Goodell will turn this league into a Flag-Football league (I dont actually believe that, but it is plausible). He either needs to go (in my opinion he should go) or because the NFL has never and will never fire a Commissioner he needs to change his perception of the game. He is thinking about money way too much and that is not what this game was about before he was Commissioner.

IowaSteeler927 01-16-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItalianSteelersFan178443 (Post 984702)
That NYG/GB was soo badly refed that I actually wanted to watch our loss to the Broncos. They missed that Jennings fumble and even though it didn't end up costing the Giants it could have. They missed soo many personal fouls that could have made the Giants win so much more easier and that stupid Roughing The Rodgers penalty was biggeer bs than Tebow beating us.

Goodell brain washed what used to be decent referees into absolute crap refs. His stupid "Keep The Players Safe" talk is so bad and it is terribly ironic. No helmet-to-helmet contact, but if the ball carrier is running it is fair game and also if the QB is out of the pocket it is fair game. And idk how if one Steeler player commits a personal foul they get fines $40,000, but if any other player commits a personal foul they either dont get fined or they get fined $15,000. He needs to go and James Harrison needs to become Commissioner

LoL @ "Roughing The Rodgers" that's going to be the new name for the penalty next season. A player shall not hit Aaron Rodgers at all or it is a penalty for a hit to the head.