Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Playoffs format sucks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=83611)

plenewken 01-16-2012 01:30 PM

Playoffs format sucks
 
I don't like the format of the playoffs.
16 games of regular season vs a max of 3 playoff games for some teams and only 2 for the others is a joke.
I'd like to see the top 6 teams per conference playing each other and the 2 teams with the max number of pts (3 for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss) go to the SB. Oh and no more overtime. If the 2 teams are tied, they get 1 point each.
We could have the same pts system during the regular season. No more weak division champs making the playoffs when teams with a higher % don't make it.
This would create 5 weeks of playoffs after a general bye week at the end of the regular season.
The SB would be played at the end of Feb which is not. a bad period IMO.

The League and the owners want to increase the number of games? This is one solution and there will be more $$$ generated.

Whatcha think?

Curtain_of_Steel 01-16-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
Im ok with it as is providing we get the bye. At least we get to week 2 in the playoff, LOL Dollars generated to owners is minimal at best in the grand scheme of things, unless th enetworks anti up more for the extra rounds

I do feel that record should dictate rankings and home field not a division winner. Denver in any world should not have played at home after having an 8-8 season. That should be changed as that is purely by luck, not winning games that they get home field.

Ot games, IMO not because we lost. Each team should get the ball, no matter what. They won;t change it during the reg season as the games run late enough as it is and plays havoc on the TV networks.

truesteelerfan 01-16-2012 02:03 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
The only way I forsee the playoff system changing is to add more teams. More teams, equals more games, equals more chances for King Goodell to fine people.

plenewken 01-16-2012 02:10 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel (Post 985060)
Im ok with it as is providing we get the bye. At least we get to week 2 in the playoff, LOL Dollars generated to owners is minimal at best in the grand scheme of things, unless th enetworks anti up more for the extra rounds

I do feel that record should dictate rankings and home field not a division winner. Denver in any world should not have played at home after having an 8-8 season. That should be changed as that is purely by luck, not winning games that they get home field.

Ot games, IMO not because we lost. Each team should get the ball, no matter what. They won;t change it during the reg season as the games run late enough as it is and plays havoc on the TV networks.

The thing is a tie is possible during the regular season so why have a different format for the playoffs? It doesn't make any sense. My position has nothing to do with the Steelers loss to Denver in OT. Using my format, both Denver and the Steelers would have earned 1pt, going into their 2nd game of the playoffs. We'd be 2pts behind the teams having won their 1st game and 1pt ahead of the losers in the 1st game.

plenewken 01-16-2012 02:17 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by truesteelerfan (Post 985063)
The only way I forsee the playoff system changing is to add more teams. More teams, equals more games, equals more chances for King Goodell to fine people.

More teams won't mean more games for each team, just more games in total. Say you add 8 teams, that's 4 in the NFC and 4 in the AFC. So now you have 2 more division winners and 2 less wild card teams. Nothing changes in terms of number of games per team, neither during the reg season nor during the playoffs.

Curtain_of_Steel 01-16-2012 03:29 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
They have 8-8 teams getting in now, lol. Do we need 7-9 teams some how getting a home game over a 12-4 team?LOL

plenewken 01-16-2012 03:53 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel (Post 985089)
They have 8-8 teams getting in now, lol. Do we need 7-9 teams some how getting a home game over a 12-4 team?LOL

If you use a system of points, 3pts for a win, 1pt for a tie and 0pt for a loss, there's no way a 7-9 team would make it and not a 12-4 team. The first would have 21pts and the second 36pts.
It works in the NHL and you don't see bottom feeders in the playoffs.

MasterOfPuppets 01-16-2012 03:58 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
thats the only problem i have with the current format. i don't think a team with less than a 9-7 record should be eligible for the playoffs. division winner or not.

Bill Cowher's Jaw 01-16-2012 04:05 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
I think there should be two 6-team divisions in each conference. The two division champions get the first round byes and then there's 4 wildcards that are seeded 3-6 by record and tiebreakers. This would pretty much eliminate the thought of crappy 8-8 or 7-9 division champions.

tanda10506 01-16-2012 04:13 PM

Re: Playoffs format sucks
 
I'm not for it the points system at all, but the minimum record should be 9-7, division winner or not, that needs to be changed NOW.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum