Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Reunion night at PNC Park tonight (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8379)

BlackNGold203 06-30-2006 07:51 AM

Reunion night at PNC Park tonight

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06181/702312-63.stm

DETROIT -- There will be some delicious irony tonight at PNC Park.

Six former Pirates -- three who were managers and three who were players -- now lead the hottest team in baseball return to Pittsburgh to face their onetime team, now at its lowest.

The Detroit Tigers staff features the three previous Pirates managers -- Lloyd McClendon (fired), Gene Lamont (fired) and Jim Leyland, the current Detroit manager (snapped up by that team before he could even be interviewed by the Pirates after they fired Mr. McClendon). The former players are Andy Van Slyke, Don Slaught and Rafael Belliard. Mr. McClendon also played for the Pirates.

I gotta believe Lamont and McClendon are grinning on the inside...Maybe they weren't such bad managers after all...huh???

83-Steelers-43 06-30-2006 08:07 AM

Re: Reunion night at PNC Park tonight

While I tip my hat to Leyland (even though I'm not a fan), I'm also keeping in mind that the Tigers have a payroll in the top 15 ($82,612,866) compared to the Pirates sitting at 27 ($46,717,750). That helps.......a ton. It's not as if Leyland went to the Marlins ($14,998,500) and turned them around. I strongly doubt we would be doing much better if Leyland or Mac were in charge. Just my opinion.

X-Terminator 06-30-2006 08:11 AM

Ah yes, now I remember how that played out...Leyland was supposed to fly to Pittsburgh for an interview after the one with the Tigers. The Tigers' brass must have known that if he had interviewed with the Pirates, he would have taken the job, so they probably offered him a lot more money than they and Leyland knew the Pirates weren't going to offer, and Leyland took the Tigers job. I can't blame him, though the Bucs should have made a much more aggressive push to land him...but that would have been expecting too much of that sad-sack management. So now we're stuck with Jim Tracy...oh joy. I'd have rather them keep McClendon - I'm absolutely convinced he'd have done a better job with this team.

Hines86Ward 06-30-2006 08:30 AM

Tracy isn't that bad, he just has nothing to work with at the moment. Give these guys a year or two if we can keep this team together, they'll be alright....

tony hipchest 06-30-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines86Ward
Tracy isn't that bad, he just has nothing to work with at the moment. Give these guys a year or two ....

or 14 or 15.

i dont think the current owners can keep any team together. not as long as theyre content being a farm system

BlacknGold Bleeder 06-30-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
or 14 or 15.

i dont think the current owners can keep any team together. not as long as theyre content being a farm system

A farm system for the money they ARE making. They are getting 20,000 plus per night, if we had a winning team it would be sold out!!!!

HometownGal 06-30-2006 01:41 PM

I'll be at the game tonight - anyone else going?

I'm sure Jim Leyland has to be having a chuckle about the state of the Pirates. If the NuttJobs and McClatchy weren't such selfish misers, I'm sure Jim Leyland would have been more than happy to return as the Pirates' skipper.

I still love 'em and will stand behind them no matter how badly their season may turn out.

83-Steelers-43 06-30-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
or 14 or 15.

That sounds about right. Just one of many reasons why I will not help line the current ownership's pockets with my money. There is no end in sight.

SteelerzGirl 06-30-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal
I'll be at the game tonight - anyone else going?

I'm sure Jim Leyland has to be having a chuckle about the state of the Pirates. If the NuttJobs and McClatchy weren't such selfish misers, I'm sure Jim Leyland would have been more than happy to return as the Pirates' skipper.

I still love 'em and will stand behind them no matter how badly their season may turn out.

Have a great time, Hometown! I'm not goin'... I'll be on a boat at the lake under the stars this evening. :grin:

Black@Gold Forever32 06-30-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
Have a great time, Hometown! I'm not goin'... I'll be on a boat at the lake under the stars this evening. :grin:

So your saying when the boats a rockin don't come knockin tonight.:sofunny: