Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Steelers Experience (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Autograph Collecting Stories.....from CAMP! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8411)

nicesteel4life 07-01-2006 02:51 PM

Autograph Collecting Stories.....from CAMP!

Well we now realize that camp is just around the corner. Were plaining our trips to Latrobe on the Hot Summer days. But would true Steelers Fans have it any other way? NO. We bring our jerseys and our helmets, Pictures and Balls. All hoping to get those Autographs of our beloved Steelers.I figured we could start a thread about past experiences getting autographs at training camp.

My Best Memory and most prized autograph came from camp last year. No it wasent Ben or Hines but Max Starks. They had just finished practice and were heading up to the locker room. I had gotten many of the starters and rookies as they were coming up. But near the back of the line I could see a man coming up with his hand all wrapped with icebags and gauze. It was Max. I had a 8x10 that I was just wishing to get signed to add to my wall. So I held it up and he spotted it. He walked over putting his helmet down and said " I am going to try to sign this becuase it's a photo of me that I have never seen before " So now realized that his writting hand was broke on the face mask of a defensive player. OUCH! I was like thats alright Mr Starks I'll get it when you can. He then Said "No I want to try, So he had me hold the photo while he used both his hands to try and figure out how he was going to sign it. Overall it came out real nice but he was upset!. I was like thanks as we talked while he was attempting to sign. He again said " I apologize for messing it up " I was like I am honored that with a broken hand you would take the time to sign. He then said "Thanks and picked up his stuff and tossed me his glove! and headed into the locker room area. I was the only signature he tried. I was like WOW. So needless to say, I met a true athlete that took the time to greet a fan even being in pain. The picture was framed and is on my wall, no matter who might think it was forged or sloppy, I know it was done for me!...Plus I want to try and get the glove signed this year!!

Whats your greatest Autograph Story?

PisnNapalm 07-01-2006 04:08 PM

Re: Autograph Collecting Stories.....from CAMP!

Excellent story!

When I was a kid my parents took my brother and I to training camp once. It was the year that Walter Abercrombie was a rookie. I had gotten 2 sheets of paper filled with autographs. Sadly though those papers were lost during a move while I was in college. :o(

blackngoldbaby 07-01-2006 06:31 PM

last year me and my dad was up at training camp and i didnt get any from ben hines or troy the star players but when they were coming up from practice i was in the back standing behind a crowd of people and i had my white steelers hat with me so i told my dad to hold it out so if a player came along they could grab it and sign it but there at the end my dad is really tall so he practicaly jumped and reached out his arm with my hat and shaun morey was there signing n he got hold of it and signed it i was very happy!!!just when i thought i would leave with nothing i ended up getin a autograph we only went up one time last year but this year were going several times i had a blast and were going to get there early so i can be right up front it would really make my day if i got a autograph from ben!!!i cant wait till training camp this year.

The JoKeR 07-02-2006 12:35 PM

I've been to training camp twice. The first time, I didn't know what to expect so I only got a few sheets of paper signed. The second time, I took my terrible towel, and I got just about everyone on the team to sign it. Even Cowher signed it. It now sits on the wall right next to my suberbowl XL terrible towel. :smile:

melroseplace 07-02-2006 07:43 PM

that's an awesome story nicesteel :smile:

nicesteel4life 07-02-2006 09:26 PM

Thanks! I truly enjoyed it.

kmsteelerwr15 07-02-2006 10:07 PM

Yeah that is one hell of an experience.

siss 07-02-2006 10:47 PM

Hey is it true that Ben won't sign terrible towls?

Steel Pit 07-03-2006 01:48 AM

My autograph story comes from attending a game rather than training camp. I reside in London, Ohio, the hometown of Dick LeBeau. Dick LeBeau's brother Bob LeBeau resides in London, Ohio as well. As a matter of fact Bob hired me into my current position. It was 1995 and the Steelers were days away from playing the Buffalo Bills in a divisional playoff game. I ran into Bob at the Barber shop and asked him if he had any extra tickets to the game. He was nice enough to sell me one of his extras so I attended the game and sat next to Bob. As the game neared it's conclusion Bob asked me if I would like to go to the Steelers offices and meet Dick. Of course I said yes.

While waiting for Dick to finish his post-game radio show, I stood in the hallway next to his office. From there I obtained the autograph of Rod Woodson who was nearly recovered from his ACL surgery. Directly across from Dicks office was the office of Bill Cowher. I saw a guy standing in front of Cowher's door and as I looked at him I was amazed when I realized that it was Kevin Costner. Apparently Costner was involved in a relationship with one of the Rooney girls.

It was without a doubt the best day of my life. I didn't obtain many autographs but I did see nearly every player as they walked down the hallway within a few feet of me.

clevestinks 07-03-2006 07:39 AM

My wife attends the Womens Training Camp every year at latrobe so she is able to get tons of autographs. Last season we got her to get Ben to sign his jersey, then my daughter and I were waiting for the players to come out, and Ben walked out the door right up to my daughter and signed my, oops I mena her NFL football. At camp we gotten all the autographs its seems, plus a countless number of pictures , Ward, Bettis, Cowher, Porter, etc. Troy has escaped me so far though. The womens training camp is the place to get autos.

My favorite though was about 5 years ago in Atlanta, my sis-in-law was a Falcons cheerleader. She got us press passes for the Steelers game there. I have autos and pic with Bettis on the field, with his arms around my wife and daughter. Dan Reeves, and a host of others. I really owe my sister in law for that day. Field passes on game day priceless.

Ive been a Steelers collectors forever, my granfather owns a bar in PA, so I have all the good stuff. I counted on my basement/gameroom wall over 150+ autographs. The oldest probably is a Ernie Stautner 5x7 hall of fame card. And a 50`s Pirate Elroy Face that is actually autographed to my Great Grandmother. Again signed to her Priceless