Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Arians says he was forced to retire (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=84261)

mesaSteeler 01-24-2012 06:31 AM

Arians says he was forced to retire

Arians says he was forced to retire
January 24th, 2012
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...ced-to-retire/

The Steelers called it a retirement, but Bruce Arians has a little different take on it.

Arians told his hometown newspaper — York Daily Record — that he had little choice whether he was going to return for a sixth year as Steelers’ offensive coordinator.

“When I wasn’t offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me,” Arians said.
Arians helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII and play in another before he was let go on Friday in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

According to Arians, that wasn’t the case, and owner Art Rooney didn’t give him a reason why.

“I can’t answer that question,” Arians said. “Only the people there can. That’s the
business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don’t have any regrets.”

Arians help lead the Steelers to back-to-back 12-4 seasons, and helped Ben Roethlisberger progress into one of the top quarterbacks in the league.
Arians said that Roethlisberger wasn’t happy with the decision.

“He’s not happy, but that’s part of the business,” Arians said. “He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we’ll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me.”

Roethlisberger and Arians live near one another in Georgia, and actually went to bat for Arians two years ago when his job was in jeopardy again.

Arians said that he has been contacted by “five or six” teams since Friday, but wouldn’t go into specifics.

Arians touched on other topics as well.

On Mike Tomlin: “My door is always open to him. I respect him a ton. I enjoyed our relationship and learned a lot. It was great watching him grow and working with him.”

On what he will miss the most: “The daily interaction with the guys is fantastic. It keeps you young, and it’s fun. That part I will miss. It’s a great group of young players in Pittsburgh that was fun to coach and will be really good, and I’m looking forward to watching them. The thrill of the games is always something you will miss . . . I will miss the camaraderie in the locker room.”

– Mark Kaboly

(Poor little Brucie, are your little feelings hurt? The Steelers tried to save face for you and be professional but you had go ahead and open you mouth. Fool! I don't hvae any sympathy for this clown. Airhead didn't do what the owner wanted and so deserves to be fired.

Why would Tomlin want to talk to you? Seems that Airhead thought he was running the team. If Tomlin ever needs to talk to Airhead then we have the wrong head coach. Brucie was "contacted" by five or six teams? I suppose they need someone to clean the toilets in the locker room.

What does concern me is that it's pretty obvious that Airhead will try poison drama queen Ben against the new OC. Given Ben's track record for stupid off the field moves and the way he has been coddled he is probably dumb enough to listen. This is why Tomlin should have fired Airhead after the Cleveland game a few years ago but it looks like Mike didn't have the stones for it.

Benjie will just have to get used to the new order. He and the Airhead do not run the team. If Benjie really throws a tantrum I suppose we can always trade him for high draft picks and start over. After all, the Steelers were here before Bengie was born and will be here after he retires.

Then again if Airhead does cause trouble and Steelers let it be known then Airhead will never get another coaching job. The worst thing you can do is trash a previous employer though I have seen people do it in interviews. Of course since Airhead is not very bright so it may happen anyway.

Here is the full story from York Daily Record. - mesa

Arians says not being offered a Steelers contract made retirement decision easy
The William Penn graduate said he wouldn't rule out a return to coaching in the future.
By FRANK BODANI
Daily Record/Sunday News
Updated: 01/24/2012 01:13:31 AM EST
http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_19803396

William Penn graduate Bruce Arians, right, says when the Pittsburgh Steelers and team president Art Rooney II failed to offer him a contract renewal last week, he made the decision to retire. Arians spent the past five seasons as the team's offensive coordinator. (Robin Rombach/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
York, PA - It's not that Bruce Arians doesn't like the idea of retirement.

But right now?

For now, call it only a possible retirement. Maybe a temporary one.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers and team president Art Rooney II failed to offer him a contract renewal last week, the William Penn graduate didn't have another option.

Certainly, he will make the best of things. Arians owns a home on a lake in Greensboro, Ga. He loves to play as much golf as he can. He wants to fish.

He is intrigued by helping underprivileged kids, kids without guidance or direction. His wife works as a court-appointed special advocate, and he'd like to get involved with that, too.

He also wants to live long enough to do something other than coach, the only career for the 59-year-old since he graduated from Virginia Tech. He beat prostate cancer two years ago, and that still shakes him up at times.

"I was not going to die on the football field," is what Arians said he promised himself.

"I compare things to Joe (Paterno). I mean, God bless him, but I also saw what happened to Coach (Bear) Bryant less than six weeks after he retired. I don't want to do that. I want to see what else there is."

But right now?

Arians put it this way: While he maintains he had considered retiring before, "when I wasn't offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me."

The Steelers simply did not want him to return for a sixth season running the offense.

And Rooney didn't give him a reason why.

"I can't answer that question. Only the people there can. That's the business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don't have any regrets."

The Steelers were coming off back-to-back 12-4 regular seasons, and they reached last year's Super Bowl. Plus, the passing game thrived behind Ben Roethlisberger and the dynamic receiving duo of Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown -- all three making the Pro Bowl.

Even the maligned running game posted an improved 4.4 yards-per-carry average last fall.

Roethlisberger, in particular, is very close to Arians. The two live near one another in Georgia. The quarterback has credited Arians for much of his success and publicly campaigned for him after the 2009 season when it appeared as if Arians' job was in jeopardy.

"He's not happy, but that's part of the business," Arians said. "He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we'll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me."

Arians also seemed close to head coach Mike Tomlin.

"My door is always open to him. I respect him a ton," Arians said. "I enjoyed our relationship and learned a lot. It was great watching him grow and working with him."

Arians said he will miss the relationships with the players and coaches because "the daily interaction with the guys is fantastic. It keeps you young, and it's fun. That part I will miss. It's a great group of young players in Pittsburgh that was fun to coach and will be really good, and I'm looking forward to watching them.

"The thrill of the games is always something you will miss . . . I will miss the camaraderie in the locker room."

Arians hasn't ruled out a return to coaching.

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said.

"But I'd put my record up against any of them."

He did admit to being contacted by "five or six" new coaching job possibilities since being let go by the Steelers, although only one was intriguing. He declined to get into specifics.

So, for now, his 37-year coaching career is on hold. Along the way was a head coaching stint at Temple, the opportunity to develop a young Peyton Manning in Indianapolis and chances to coordinate offenses in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Although he would like to stay in the NFL, "I would say if the right hot young (college) coach needed someone like I did at Temple . . .

"I was 30 and I hired Paul Davis, and after a loss I would close the door and rant and rave and tear things up and he'd say, 'So, you wanted to be a head coach, huh?'"

For now, Arians said he will collect his NFL retirement money and golf and fish and maybe work with kids.

And probably sit around and watch the Steelers on TV, with no one to coach.

If only for one season.

Pittsburgh "was my longest stay, and I had a blast. I got to call plays in the Super Bowl twice and win one, and I wouldn't trade that for anything."
@YDRPennState; 771-2104

Boomer 01-24-2012 06:58 AM

Re: Arians says he was forced to retire

So he applied for every head coaching job open last year and didn’t get one single interview. And this year he gets fired, claims that 5 or 6 teams are interested but instead retires and will wait to see if anyone hires him? Yeah, OK Bruce. Whatever you say.

I really think this thing with him staying in touch with Ben could end up being trouble for our new OC and the team. Ben’s gonna have the new guy telling him one thing and then Bruce in his ear telling him something else.

Atlanta Dan 01-24-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 988877)
So he applied for every head coaching job open last year and didn’t get one single interview.

But of course that was due to age discrimination rather than any shortcomings on the part of Bruce

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said."But I'd put my record up against any of them."

http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_1980339...ce=most_viewed

If only the players would execute the plays and NFL front office officials were not biased against more qualified older coaches BA woudl be on his way to Canton join LeBeau and Noll in the Hall Of Fame

Rockonsteel 01-24-2012 07:58 AM

He wasn't FORCED to do anything. His contract with the Steelers was for one year. It expired at the end of the season in Denver the second D. Moore crossed the goalline in OT. The Steelers simply have chosen to NOT renew the contract. So, he wasn't FIRED as so many are throwing around, I guess in attempt to generate some sympathy for the village idiot or something.

Now, if he's being forced to retire as a result of this action, it will be because nobody else sees fit to offer him a job elsewhere. Please, people stop trying to make this out to be more than what it is. An employer deceiding to not renew the contract of an employer that they felt was not performing to their standard. It's that simple.

Now, it gets a little more complicated when you start talking about how ARII did so, apparently against Tomlin's wishes and desires. Tomlin may have a great win-loss record in his tenure here, along with SBs, but best believe ARII still calls the shots ultimately, and reserves the right to override the coach if he feels it's necessary. Is it always the right thing to do? No, it isn't. But, in this case, I'd say it was.

Rockon

steelfury02 01-24-2012 08:15 AM

Gee whiz - a disgruntled employee spoke out against the employer that for all intensive purposes "fired" him

I don't even care about this guy anymore to make any more comments after that. Time to move on.

The only thing I have left to say is that Ben better stuff a sock in it - he would have a lot of nerve to open up his mouth about it and damn well better just heed the O-coordinator. You'd think after his shenanigans and basically getting his arse saved from being traded to a no-man's land team (see Palmer @ Raiders, McNabb @ Vikings) he could be a little more humble.

Hopefully Ben realizes he only has about a good solid 5 to 6 seasons left as a Pittsburgh Steeler QB - something many aspiring QBs would die to be and make the most out of his fortunate situation. See Peyton Manning. Everyone in the NFL is expendable - even the great ones.

TRH 01-24-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 988886)
Gee whiz - a disgruntled employee spoke out against the employer that for all intensive purposes "fired" him

I don't even care about this guy anymore to make any more comments after that. Time to move on.

The only thing I have left to say is that Ben better stuff a sock in it - he would have a lot of nerve to open up his mouth about it and damn well better just heed the O-coordinator. You'd think after his shenanigans and basically getting his arse saved from being traded to a no-man's land team (see Palmer @ Raiders, McNabb @ Vikings) he could be a little more humble.

Hopefully Ben realizes he only has about a good solid 5 to 6 seasons left as a Pittsburgh Steeler QB - something many aspiring QBs would die to be and make the most out of his fortunate situation. See Peyton Manning. Everyone in the NFL is expendable - even the great ones.

Ben "stuff a sock in it"? What has HE said so far? Nothing. Most all of the time when OC's are let go, the current QB, even the high profile ones, are not happy about it. Thats not unusual, it happens all the time.

Anyway....this article wasn't a bit of a surprise...i think we all know around here that he ultimately wasn't offered to come back.
I think you'll see him resurface soon as some sort of an Assistant Coach with another team. Regardless of what you all think of him, he still held a high profile position here and we had a very successful record.....he'll land a spot somewhere and also i'm sure that somewhere else will be more than happy to get some more inside info on our game.

kan_t 01-24-2012 08:29 AM

They're friends so Ben should be unhappy. But it doesn't mean that he would only listen to Arians. It seems that Arians just wants to get more attention by bring Ben up.

madtowndrunkard 01-24-2012 09:04 AM

Not being offered a contract is the same as being fired. It's the ''nice" way to fire someone. Passive...and probably less expensive.

Ben is competitive and he wants to win. He'll be fine with the new OC unless we start losing. Winning cures everything. If we start losing, expect it to get ugly.

Rockonsteel 01-24-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard (Post 988899)
Not being offered a contract is the same as being fired. It's the ''nice" way to fire someone. Passive...and probably less expensive.

Ben is competitive and he wants to win. He'll be fine with the new OC unless we start losing. Winning cures everything. If we start losing, expect it to get ugly.

He wasn't fired. They should've "fired" two or three years ago. Instead they let his contract run it's course and decided not to renew. Fired is just the buzzword the media is throwing around to generate sexy headlines. I wish he was fired. Somehow I feel cheated that they tried to make it look like he was leaving on his own terms.

When you're fired you receive a severance package, unless it's for something like theft, or some other sorted behavior. You can also collect unemployment compensation, because your expected, steady income has been abruptly halted. An expired contract that doesn't get picked up, allows both parties to walk away with no further compensation or obligation for either side.

If he was stlll under contract and his contract was terminated(fired), the Steelers would owe him the remaining dollar value of his contract. He had no contract. It expired. The Steelers don't owe him anything. They simply decided that his services were not wanted for future use.

Rockon

madtowndrunkard 01-24-2012 09:25 AM

You are just getting into semantics. If your boss told you, your contract wasnt' renewed next week week and they were hiring someone else to do the job... you can call your self fired. You can also file for unemployment.

I could be wrong, but I don't think assistant coaches have completely guaranteed contracts? maye they do. I always thought they were only guaranteed pay for that season...and if they take another job they don't get both pay. Either way he was fired... he's being replaced by a new person. It's not the same as players or you or me. He wasn't allowed to walk because of $, or no job for him ,or what ever. He was not renewed due to performance. That's fired.