Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What about next year???? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=84335)

Ricco Suavez 01-24-2012 06:36 PM

What about next year????

With Arians canned and the promise of a new and improved offense, either run heavy or innovative passing or a mix. With the promise of a new coach and new look, maybe even a true fullback. Hopefully resigning key players such as Wallace, Crotchery, and goodbye to an old friend Hines. The offense has been the talk of this past two weeks, but I would like to steer the conversation to the Defense..

We have an old and slow defense. Wait, did not mean that entirely. Yes we are old in places and expect to lose some old faces from this squad. Snack, Hoke, Farrior, McFadden likely all gone. Kiesel, Clark, Foote, Harrison, even Troy on the wrong side of 30. players like Woodley and Timmons who sometimes can disappear during a game.

Ziggy has come along as has Worilds to an extent, Heyward show promise. The young guys in the secondary have not impressed me but could be serviceable. I have contended on this and other boards that I am really more worried about next years version of defense than I am the offense. I mean did anyone other than me come away impressed with the 49ers, Giants, Ravens, and even the Patriots front pressure on the QB. BTW I ranked them in order of how I was impressed.

And furthermore does anyone believe our O-Line was as good as any of those mentioned. Just think what Ben would of faced from any of those guys. Your thoughts on next years Defense.

Danny136200 01-24-2012 06:43 PM

Re: What about next year????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez (Post 989244)
With Arians canned and the promise of a new and improved offense, either run heavy or innovative passing or a mix. With the promise of a new coach and new look, maybe even a true fullback. Hopefully resigning key players such as Wallace, Crotchery, and goodbye to an old friend Hines. The offense has been the talk of this past two weeks, but I would like to steer the conversation to the Defense..

We have an old and slow defense. Wait, did not mean that entirely. Yes we are old in places and expect to lose some old faces from this squad. Snack, Hoke, Farrior, McFadden likely all gone. Kiesel, Clark, Foote, Harrison, even Troy on the wrong side of 30. players like Woodley and Timmons who sometimes can disappear during a game.

Ziggy has come along as has Worilds to an extent, Heyward show promise. The young guys in the secondary have not impressed me but could be serviceable. I have contended on this and other boards that I am really more worried about next years version of defense than I am the offense. I mean did anyone other than me come away impressed with the 49ers, Giants, Ravens, and even the Patriots front pressure on the QB. BTW I ranked them in order of how I was impressed.

And furthermore does anyone believe our O-Line was as good as any of those mentioned. Just think what Ben would of faced from any of those guys. Your thoughts on next years Defense.

The Steelers secondary was steller last year, the pass rushing on the other hand was hurst wiht injuries, and old age on the line. I do think that the steelers need to focus some on the defensive line, esecially someone to replace Hampton, who might be on the way out.

steeltheone 01-24-2012 07:02 PM

We have not gotten steady inside pass rush for a long time. We need to get Heyward on the field next year. I think he will turn into a force!

zcoop 01-24-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny136200 (Post 989245)
The Steelers secondary was steller last year, the pass rushing on the other hand was hurst wiht injuries, and old age on the line. I do think that the steelers need to focus some on the defensive line, esecially someone to replace Hampton, who might be on the way out.

I also think that we should shore up the D Front. The D Backfield suffers when the line gets no pressure on the QB. Our D backs had to compensate for the weaknesses of the D Line. We should be alright with some mending and reinforcement.

tony hipchest 01-24-2012 07:22 PM

i dont believe in the "wrong side of 30" myth.

some people want players replaced just because they are 30 no matter how productive they are.

our secondary will be better and deeper with age and our olb's will be back healthy and at full force. youth infusion along the line.

im not gonna sit here and rip every single member of the best defense in the league.

Atlanta Dan 01-24-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 989317)
im not gonna sit here and rip every single member of the best defense in the league.

Don't worry - there are other posters to carry the load for that:chuckle:

tony hipchest 01-24-2012 07:33 PM

how long before Fire Lebeau joins?

Curtain_of_Steel 01-24-2012 07:39 PM

lol, Rip Dick? I dont see that happening. But Dick better stiffen up that D on the pass rush next year, they were a little flaccid. lol

If Arians could be let go due to not meeting the Rooneys Status Quo on offense, Dick could leave prematurely as well.

Fire Arians 01-24-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel (Post 989331)
lol, Rip Dick? I dont see that happening. But Dick better stiffen up that D on the pass rush next year, they were a little flaccid. lol

i know what you mean, but still :rofl:

FrancoLambert 01-24-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez (Post 989244)

Inside linebacker = 1st need
D-Line = 2nd need
But both are behind our first overall need = O-line

I was thinking the same thing, there was no way our O-line would have held their own against ANY of those pass rushing fronts (maybe the Pats? maybe?).