Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ownership needs to have a word with Colbert Too (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=84437)

BKAnthem 01-25-2012 12:00 PM

Ownership needs to have a word with Colbert Too

If the Rooneys want to Run the Ball more effectively, Colbert needs to do a better Job evaluating O-Line Talent...Pouncey was a No -Brainer...But Gilbert was in the Dog House a couple of times this past season and the rest of this line is :banging:

Fire Arians 01-25-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Ownership needs to have a word with Colbert Too

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKAnthem (Post 989655)
If the Rooneys want to Run the Ball more effectively, Colbert needs to do a better Job evaluating O-Line Talent...Pouncey was a No -Brainer...But Gilbert was in the Dog House a couple of times this past season and the rest of this line is :banging:

to be fair i don't know a single rookie tackle that didn't struggle in his first year. he had some positives, he did well against mathis in the indy game, dude's got potential. with a full training camp and a year of actual NFL experience under his belt i think he will be much improved in his 2nd year.

with that said, i hope we pick a guard in rd. 1-3, we need an upgrade there.

Steelerfreak58 01-25-2012 12:08 PM

I think Gilbert did great for a Rookie that was not expected to start but had to because of Colon's injury. Kid stepped up and made very few mistakes all year and is only going to get better.

O-Line has been an issue but I think its a matter of identity we used to be a run first offense and pass complimented the run that kind of changed with BA and I think the FO didn't appreciate it and BA did not thing to remedy the situation.

BA did little to even help get the ball out of Bens hands quickly when he knew our O-line was riddled with injuries and couldn't give Ben the time to develop long bombs. BA acted like it wasn't an issue. He ignored the realities of the situation the season unveiled.

ItalianSteelersFan178443 01-25-2012 12:36 PM

Gilbert was our most consistent OL this season, Pouncey had an injury riddled season and allowed many blitzes up the middle. Gilbert stepped in after Colon got hurt and got better with every game. He will be a stud in a couple of years. But I am not a fan of Kevin Colbert, I hate to say this, but Steve Bisciotti and Ozzie Newsome know how to draft. Colbert's strategy of taking BPA is good, but it looks like it is finally catching up to us in a bad way. He never drafts OL after the 2nd round and if he does we cut them (Urbik, K. WIlliams) and he hasn't attacked a great secondary player since Troy. He either needs to go or change his draft strategy completely

Fire Arians 01-25-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItalianSteelersFan178443 (Post 989669)
Gilbert was our most consistent OL this season, Pouncey had an injury riddled season and allowed many blitzes up the middle. Gilbert stepped in after Colon got hurt and got better with every game. He will be a stud in a couple of years. But I am not a fan of Kevin Colbert, I hate to say this, but Steve Bisciotti and Ozzie Newsome know how to draft. Colbert's strategy of taking BPA is good, but it looks like it is finally catching up to us in a bad way. He never drafts OL after the 2nd round and if he does we cut them (Urbik, K. WIlliams) and he hasn't attacked a great secondary player since Troy. He either needs to go or change his draft strategy completely

I think colbert has been doing a great job. the problem is really we're such a consistently good team, that all the o-line prospects that are worth picking in round 1 are already gone by the time it's our turn. Pouncey was able to be grabbed because we were low enough on the draft to snag him. Believe me, if we had picks in the top 10, the o-line would have been addressed. however, i'm thankful we never suck that bad.

i just wish we'd deal with the raiders like other teams do. would be awesome to get multiple round 1 draft picks for basically nothing lol

the urbik situation was more a failure on our coaching staff to get him ready. the fact he's starting with the bills tells me that talent wasn't an issue, our coaches failed to groom him into NFL material while he was here.

Danny136200 01-25-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 989675)
I think colbert has been doing a great job. the problem is really we're such a consistently good team, that all the o-line prospects that are worth picking in round 1 are already gone by the time it's our turn. Pouncey was able to be grabbed because we were low enough on the draft to snag him. Believe me, if we had picks in the top 10, the o-line would have been addressed. however, i'm thankful we never suck that bad.

i just wish we'd deal with the raiders like other teams do. would be awesome to get multiple round 1 draft picks for basically nothing lol

the urbik situation was more a failure on our coaching staff to get him ready. the fact he's starting with the bills tells me that talent wasn't an issue, our coaches failed to groom him into NFL material while he was here.

This^

former RB 01-25-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKAnthem (Post 989655)

Pouncey is over rated a player as i have ever seen. I don't know how to evaluate a center, but by any measure, pouncey seems to be lacking. I watched him often. He gets trucked often. His run blocking leaves much to be desired. His shotgun snaps are average.
You can't judge O-line pass protection. Guys like manning, brees and brady drop back and throw on rhythm. Their line and OC looks smart because of it. The O line run blocking suffered because Mendy liked to tip toe between the tackles. The hole only opens for a split second because if you aren't strong enough to drive block, you have to get shoulder leverage for a second and turn the D lineman line a door.

Ben made the line look bad because they can't hold their blocks for 5 seconds consistently. Ben made recievers look bad because thwey ran their routes out, and he still had the ball.
Ben needs to practice looking off a DB and throwing on rhythm. Coaching can only work if the QB puts it into practice.

3rdandlong 01-25-2012 05:43 PM

What do you want him to draft pro bowlers in every round? Colbert is the best GM in the NFL, or one of them. He can't draft stellar players at every position. You're going to have weaknesses somewhere, usually. He knows what he's doing. You need not worry.

FrancoLambert 01-25-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItalianSteelersFan178443 (Post 989669)

Yes, maybe Gilbert was the most consistent in achieving mediocrity. He may be a stud in a couple of years, but only time and his performance will tell.

As for Pouncey, without going through the tapes, I'll bet he consistently graded out higher than any of our O-linemen.

TRH 01-25-2012 05:51 PM

I'd have to agree somewhat with some Pouncey comments. While good (when he's healthy), all-pro? I have NOT seen that, i'm sorry....i think that came from all the media attention he got last year from being a 1st year starter at center for the Steelers franchise.
He gets mowed down quite often and jeezus, the guy's made of freakin' glass (is this going to be Sepulveda all over again?). Missed the biggest game of last year and the biggest of this year and there's nothing to prove at this point that he's going to have an injury free ride from here on out.

As for Colbert, let him continue what he's doing. He has a hell of a successful track record.