Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rooney needs to own and stop meddling (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=85413)

harts 01-29-2012 09:56 AM

Rooney needs to own and stop meddling

Getting sick of Rooney commenting publicly about Ben, the offense etc.
So what if he is the owner.
He is turning into a mini Jerry Jones and what have the Cowboys won since he got rid of Jimmy Johnson.

If the players feel they have to answer to the owner and not the coach then it undermines the power of the Head Coach --> i.e Dallas for the last 15 years - (except for Parcells who wouldnt put up with that nonsense)

Owners Own
Coaches Coach
Players Play

When that happens - Super Bowls are won
We need the elder Rooney back here to right the ship
The current Captain is not ready and is starting to run the Steelers aground

StainlessStill 01-29-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Rooney needs to own and stop meddling

Quote:

Originally Posted by harts (Post 991750)
Getting sick of Rooney commenting publicly about Ben, the offense etc.
So what if he is the owner.
He is turning into a mini Jerry Jones and what have the Cowboys won since he got rid of Jimmy Johnson.

If the players feel they have to answer to the owner and not the coach then it undermines the power of the Head Coach --> i.e Dallas for the last 15 years - (except for Parcells who wouldnt put up with that nonsense)

Owners Own
Coaches Coach
Players Play

When that happens - Super Bowls are won
We need the elder Rooney back here to right the ship
The current Captain is not ready and is starting to run the Steelers aground

You people look at the big obstacle way too much and ride the media's coattails. Rooney made a few comments that we were ALL thinking. He's come out before and said a couple things regarding the direction he'd like to see us take. Nothing new here. I think it's okay to make a change and the owner of the football team make a suggestion. He even referenced everything is up to his head coach. Rooney is RARELY in the spotlight. He says ONE simple thing and he's now Jerry Jones?

Give me a f#$%$% break Steelers fans. I take it as a breath of fresh air that the lines of communication is open for our franchise QB to go talk to our owner about things. We're fine.

6RingsAndCounting 01-29-2012 10:12 AM

Comparing Rooney to Jerry Jones is ridiculous.

harts 01-29-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 991753)
You people look at the big obstacle way too much and ride the media's coattails. Rooney made a few comments that we were ALL thinking. He's come out before and said a couple things regarding the direction he'd like to see us take. Nothing new here. I think it's okay to make a change and the owner of the football team make a suggestion. He even referenced everything is up to his head coach. Rooney is RARELY in the spotlight. He says ONE simple thing and he's now Jerry Jones?

Give me a f#$%$% break Steelers fans. I take it as a breath of fresh air that the lines of communication is open for our franchise QB to go talk to our owner about things. We're fine.

but why in public?
Why does the owner need to tell the public what he thinks?

When a owner does that he is a attention hog.
He wants to be the center of attention
Thats Jerry Jones' problem
They want to win but they want it to be about them

Football doesnt work that way
Too many moving pieces and being a ME persondoes not work
Only when you have a WE mentality does that work

Everyone gets on T.O, OchoCinco, and players like that but Rooney is essentially doing the same thing

Bringing unnecessary attention and DRAMA to the Steelers.

We dont need that

The owner needs to shut his pie hole, sign the checks, and handle things in house and not in the media

StainlessStill 01-29-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harts (Post 991755)
but why in public?

Everyone gets on T.O, OchoCinco, and players like that but Rooney is essentially doing the same thing

We dont need that

The owner needs to shut his pie hole, sign the checks, and handle things in house and not in the media

Stop reading too much into it. Trust me, there are huge amounts of "attention" within' the media and in the spotlight that the Rooney's could be in other than a FEW comments here or there about their football team. There was no up-roar when he said we needed to run the ball more and to my understanding, this is the biggest shakeup since the Tomlin era cira 2007! You're GOING to hear from your owner, PERIOD. I'm glad he did because quite frankly, he has every right to open his pie-hole about the situation at hand. As you said, he writes the checks and in house requirements that is needed to run this football team. He has a right to voice a concern and the actions we are going to move forward with.

No matter how you spin it, this is NOWHERE NEAR a story that you or the media is making it out to be. Jerry Jones. What a laugh!

55BaileyFan 01-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harts (Post 991755)
but why in public?

We dont need that

Football doesn't work that way? Are you kidding me?

Do you know anything about the Steelers before this "modern day"? You have to be young because the Rooneys have done this since the 1930's. Art Rooney was famous for telling coaches what he did and did not want to see. There are tons of stories from players about Rooney wanted this and this...hell, Bleier had a roster spot after his wound in Vietnam because Rooney said so.

This is his team and he and the fans in the Burgh have a certain way things are done. If you don't do it his way then you are going to walk.

Beside, how the hell does Ben have the right to say anything? If anyone shouldn't talk it should be him. In the 75+ years before his multiple rape/sexual assault accusations the Steelers were not in the news for being a team of bad people.

His past discretion earn him nothing until Mr. Rooney says he has earned them back.

harts 01-29-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 991756)
Stop reading too much into it. Trust me, there are huge amounts of "attention" within' the media and in the spotlight that the Rooney's could be in other than a FEW comments here or there about their football team. There was no up-roar when he said we needed to run the ball more and to my understanding, this is the biggest shakeup since the Tomlin era cira 2007! You're GOING to hear from your owner, PERIOD. I'm glad he did because quite frankly, he has every right to open his pie-hole about the situation at hand. As you said, he writes the checks and in house requirements that is needed to run this football team. He has a right to voice a concern and the actions we are going to move forward with.

No matter how you spin it, this is NOWHERE NEAR a story that you or the media is making it out to be. Jerry Jones. What a laugh!

Been following the steelers since I became a fan at 6 years old in 1979
Never had I heard any of the Rooneys talk about the team like this guy has "lately"

I realize today is different in terms of media access and that does have an effect.

But he needs to realize what he says affects people.

Why did he need to say that about Ben PUBLICLY?
it makes no sense to do that except for his personal ego B.S

He could easily pull Ben aside and handle that.
Just because you can doesnt mean you should

Yes he owns the team he can do what he wants - He could have us losing every year and run the team solely to make a profit
Yeah it's his choice
SO WHAT!

Is he on Jerry Jones' level - absolutely not -- well not yet
But once upon a time Jerry Jones had a coach named Jimmy Johnson who won 3 super bowls for him
Jerry slowly started to speak more and eventually ran his coach right out of town

Rooney (The 59 year old version) is beginning to show those same qualities.

I am Just projecting where this is gonna go

Rooney is clearly escalating in the amount of his public comments about the team
THeir is a result for that 

And that result is not good

StainlessStill 01-29-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

I am Just projecting where this is gonna go
It's not going to go anywhere. Once there's a big shake up within an organization, it's the media's job to get the story out there. All Art did was make a statement regarding his football team moving forward. This will NOT be an issue once we fill in the gaps with our new OC and once the draft starts in April. Total non-issue.

Ricco Suavez 01-29-2012 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=55BaileyFan;991758]Football doesn't work that way? Are you kidding me?

Beside, how the hell does Ben have the right to say anything? If anyone shouldn't talk it should be him. In the 75+ years before his multiple rape/sexual assault accusations the Steelers were not in the news for being a team of bad people.

You are joking, right? We have had this discussion on this board before. While I love the Steelers we are far from Angels when it comes to trouble. We have had players actually charged with wrong doing not just accusations from possible goldiggers. Check out some Steeler History if you don't believe me.

Ricco Suavez 01-29-2012 11:37 AM

Rooney pays the bills, he can say what he wants. But what he says will have ramifications much like any thing Ben or another star player says. Rooney did not like the way Arians was going with the offense, his right. Rooney got rid of Arians, his right. But what he maybe should of done is talked to Tomlin first and made his thoughts know and in no uncertain terms. Then Tomlin would not have been in the news looking lost, this would not have been sprung on their QB. Listen the media is blowing this up all they can, and the sooner Ben and Rooney meet the quicker this can be put to rest. I for one did not know that Arians was as well liked by the local media.