Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=85819)

pete74 01-30-2012 06:41 PM

Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
The Post Gazette is reporting that the position for Butler to Colts is “not a done deal.” If that is the case the Steelers need to tell Dick LeBeau to retire immediately. I love Dick LeBeau but he is not going to be around for the next 10 years, Butler will be.

If Butler has not accepted this job yet the Steelers need to promote him to the job he wants to get him to stay. Butler is the best young up and coming 3-4 Defensive Coordinator to be in the NFL. He has learned under the best and is the best linebackers coach in the league. He is deserving of this spot and I would not be mad at him for leaving. He has waited his turn for more then long enough. To lose him because you can not tell LeBeau it is time to retire is just moronic.

Losing Keith Butler pushes this defense backwards years. There is no one on this staff or the NFL that can fill in for LeBeau once he does retire. The Steelers need to make this happen. You have until he goes on his final interview on Tuesday to get this done. Do not let him leave

stb_steeler 01-30-2012 06:48 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Wow thats gonna be a tough call on the part of the Rooney's. Kinda makes ya wonder all the DL talk last year about retiring. I have a feelin something didnt go their way and now its backfiring. :noidea:

6RingsAndCounting 01-30-2012 06:55 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
I honestly don't know what I'd do. If Lebeau can go another 5 years, keep him around, if not, he has to go.

pete74 01-30-2012 06:57 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting (Post 992443)
I honestly don't know what I'd do. If Lebeau can go another 5 years, keep him around, if not, he has to go.

i agree. i would hate to lose Butler then Dick retire after this coming season. if he says he will definatly coach for another 5 years though i would keep him

tony hipchest 01-30-2012 06:59 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary. :hunch:

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.

6RingsAndCounting 01-30-2012 07:05 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Butler to Stay
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.

lipps83 01-30-2012 07:06 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 992448)
if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary. :hunch:

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.

Hopefully they do that bump in pay and assistant coach.

(edited to add).....Well, looks like they did it.

Atlanta Dan 01-30-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting (Post 992455)
Butler to Stay
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.

Mods - please delete my new thread on this - 6 Rings beat me to the post

Great news

:drink:

Bayz101 01-30-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Actually, he's staying:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=85827

6RingsAndCounting 01-30-2012 07:09 PM

Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 992459)
Mods - please delete my new thread on this - 6 Rings beat me to the post

Great news

:drink:

It's all good! I didn't know whether to start a thread on it or not :drink:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum