Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Pirates (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Bud Selig on Pirates Ownership (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8672)

83-Steelers-43 07-12-2006 09:40 AM

Bud Selig on Pirates Ownership

Selig defends Pirates' ownership despite losing
Wednesday, July 12, 2006

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates have the worst record in baseball and are headed for their record 14th consecutive losing season. Baseball is conducting its own investigation of steroid use. Barry Bonds passed Babe Ruth in career home runs with a mammoth dose of antipathy. The home of Arizona pitcher Jason Grimsley yielded information on performance enhancing substances after a raid by federal agents.

Despite all that, commissioner Bud Selig has full confidence in the Pirates' ownership and believes baseball is in its "golden era."

Speaking yesterday to the Baseball Writers of America, Selig was asked why the ownership group of Kevin McClatchy and Ogden Nutting has failed to field a winning team, given that the team's record of 30-60 is the worst at the All-Star break in any of the previous 13 seasons.

"I have faith in this group," Selig said. "I know how determined they are, and I know how desperate they are to produce a winner."

Asked what message he would convey to Pirates fans, Selig gave a response familiar to those who have lamented the state of baseball in Pittsburgh since the core of the team left through free agency in the early 1990s.

"The world changed in the '90s, and it really was tough," Selig said.

But he noted that Detroit and Cincinnati have recently rebounded, and markets such as Oakland and Minnesota field competitive teams. He also pointed to the Pirates core of young talent, what with Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez on this year's All-Star team. He added that changing owners is not a panacea for a franchise that has had two owners, three general managers and four managers since it last had a winning record.

"We're all held accountable by the won/loss record," Selig said. "But I know how committed these people are."

He indicated that baseball's current revenue-sharing plan is "close" to being adequate enough to eliminate the complaint that teams like the Pirates and Kansas City Royals can't compete.

As far as the state of the game, Selig said baseball could set another attendance record this season. The steroids mess, which just a year ago was eroding the integrity of the game, has been largely cleaned up, the commissioner added. He also pointed out that football had steroid issues, including the Steelers, during the '60s, '70s and '80s when the NFL's popularity exploded.

"By any accepted yardstick, this sport has never been more popular," Selig said. "I feel good about where we are. There are and always will be problems, but the sport has never been more popular. Anything that besmirches our integrity ... is a problem. We care and we're doing something. We've done everything we can do. The system is working.

"I believe this is the golden era of baseball," he added.

On another matter, Selig sharply criticized Boston's Manny Ramirez, the American League's top vote-getter, for skipping the All-Star Game because of a sore right knee.

"It's beyond my comprehension," Selig said. "Look, maybe I'm old-fashioned, [but if] you're voted onto the All-Star team, it's a privilege. You ought to be here. Do you know how many people in life would run through a brick wall to be here? I need a vacation too, but ... why wouldn't you be proud to be here?"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06193/705169-335.stm

BlackNGold203 07-12-2006 09:56 AM

Re: Bud Selig on Pirates Ownership

Well..what the hell else was he going to say??

"Yeah..Nutting and Mclatchy suck"

What I get the biggest laugh out of is the "golden era" comment.....

can you spell delusional??

(did I spell delusional right?)

83-Steelers-43 07-12-2006 09:57 AM

Personally, I would have said "no comment". Eitherway, I wish I had some of what he was smoking.

Jeremy 07-12-2006 10:03 AM

He did the PC thing. It's just like when an owner gives a vote of confidence to a coach he's going to fire.

83-Steelers-43 07-12-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
It's just like when an owner gives a vote of confidence to a coach he's going to fire.

If that was only the case here in Pittsburgh...........

As we speak, I'm sure Selig is back up in NYC and in his cage with a collar around his neck courtesy of George Steinbrenner.

HometownGal 07-12-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

"But I know how committed these people are."
Riiiiiiiight. The only thing McCheese and the Nut Jobs are committed to is conning the fans, the players and lining their pockets.

Big D 07-12-2006 10:10 AM

I dont really keep up to much with the pirates. But i did hear at one point in time that mark cuban wanted to buy the pirates. I know the ownership said no. But was was the reasoning. I think Cuban would be great for the pirates

83-Steelers-43 07-12-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I dont really keep up to much with the pirates. But i did hear at one point in time that mark cuban wanted to buy the pirates. I know the ownership said no. But was was the reasoning. I think Cuban would be great for the pirates

Stan Savern interviewed McClatchy the other night and asked him once again if he was willing to sell the Pirates. The response "The Pirates are not for sale".

Now that Cuban is getting involved with the Penguins (who in my opinion, are more deserving anyways), I wonder if he would even be willing to buy this franchise?

X-Terminator 07-12-2006 10:20 AM

:rofl:

You have GOT to be kidding me??? This pretty much seals the deal - Selig is a blithering idiot. How the hell can ANYONE claim with a straight face that the Three Stooges (The Nuttings and McClatch-tard) are committed to winning? Where is the evidence? They make between $15 million to over $20 million per year off the team. They take excessive profits from the team and put it in their pockets. The payroll is consistently in the bottom third of the league despite the gold mine that is PNC Park. Hasn't it ever occurred to those penny-pinching idiots that if they put a winner on the field, they would still make an assload of cash from selling out damn near every game? And someone needs to remind Mr. Selig that the reason why Oakland and Minnesota are the lowest revenue teams in the league is because both play in old, outdated and baseball-unfriendly stadiums that do not generate any revenue. They have an excuse for having low payrolls. The Pirates do not - period. The fact Selig will blast Manny Ramirez for not showing up at the All-Star game, but won't criticize the Stooges for their complacency and lack of commitment to winning shows that he's nothing but an apologist and a mouthpiece for ownership, no matter how obviously horrible it is.

Big D 07-12-2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Stan Savern interviewed McClatchy the other night and asked him once again if he was willing to sell the Pirates. The response "The Pirates are not for sale".

Now that Cuban is getting involved with the Penguins (who in my opinion, are more deserving anyways), I wonder if he would even be willing to buy this franchise?

from my understanding the price tag for the penguins isnt as significant as what it would be for the pirates. So to sum up the pirates ownership in nfl terms is they work like the bidwells and yorks?