Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Possible NT taken in draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=86949)

fujirama24 02-16-2012 07:10 PM

Possible NT taken in draft

I see alot of people saying we might take poe in the first round. But I really like Nick Jean - Baptiste out of baylor. 6-1 335 they say he has a great first push and stops the run great. What do you guys think. As of now he is a mid 3rd pick.

bac151rum 02-16-2012 08:19 PM

Re: Possible NT taken in draft

Quote:

Originally Posted by fujirama24 (Post 998351)
I see alot of people saying we might take poe in the first round. But I really like Nick Jean - Baptiste out of baylor. 6-1 335 they say he has a great first push and stops the run great. What do you guys think. As of now he is a mid 3rd pick.

Don't see Baptiste going in the third. Fourth or fifth more likely. And I agree, we should take a serious look at him at the combine. He has more of a Casey Hampton body than Poe (6' 4" 250) or Ta'amu (6' 3", 235), and is bulkier than Chapman, so he might be a good day 3 pick up. The combine will tell.

MasterOfPuppets 02-16-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac151rum (Post 998363)
Don't see Baptiste going in the third. Fourth or fifth more likely. And I agree, we should take a serious look at him at the combine. He has more of a Casey Hampton body than Poe (6' 4" 250) or Ta'amu (6' 3", 235), and is bulkier than Chapman, so he might be a good day 3 pick up. The combine will tell.

let me remind you that the hands down best NT in the game today, haloti ngata , is 6-4, not 6-1.

bac151rum 02-16-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 998368)
let me remind you that the hands down best NT in the game today, haloti ngata , is 6-4, not 6-1.

Not saying that Poe or Ta'amu wouldn't be good picks. Would love either of them. Just that Hampton is shorter, and if we're looking for a Steelers mold, that might be it.

PhantomJB93 02-17-2012 12:08 AM

Personally I'm not keen on taking a NT in the first just because I feel like there will be valuable options for us at the position in the 2nd or 3rd. The trend over the last few years may show that DTs in general are popular but NTs specifically in the draft aren't snatched up very fast and a guy like Ta'amu or Jean-Baptiste could probably be gotten in the second or third round. Poe seems like a borderline first round pick that could be considered a reach and I feel like one of the OL or ILBs that will be there will be a much better pick (If I were in charge I'd pick Burfict, Glenn, Hightower, Barron, or even trade up for Decastro before picking Poe, but then again I'm just a fan)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 998368)

Haloti Ngata is the best Defensive Lineman in general but he is hardly a NT. He plays there sometimes because of his versatility but plays more often as a DE. Terrence Cody is the guy the Ravens usually have anchoring the middle (although, he is also 6'4)

surcalifero 03-07-2012 10:32 PM

I truly believe the Steelers will try to select Poe in the first round. Hood and Heyward were first round picks. The Steelers organization believe a 3-4 system is critical for success. Hampton will have to teach Poe. If Poe is not available, I hope they don't reach for a NT and go after OL.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-08-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac151rum (Post 998363)

I agree. I think Chapman will be a 2nd round guy and not exactly sure if he is a 2-gap NT, but think he is that more than a 3-technique. Fangopu from BYU is another that could be around in round 3 or 4 I think if we cant find a guy we like earlier.

bac151rum 03-08-2012 12:18 PM

My feeling is that Poe is the only first round worthy NT, Ta;amu the only second round worty, and Chapman the only third round worthy. If we don't get Poe, we probably won't be drafting nose until the 4th or 5th round. Good news is that there looks like plenty of NT value in the 4th and 5th rounds.

AgentGold007 03-08-2012 03:59 PM

Looks like the Steelers may have an eye on this guy too, as an undrafted free agent:
Rang Brugler Prisco Judge --------Complete Mock Draftatest News 03/07/2012 -Cardinal Mooney grad and current Kent State University football player Ishmaa'ily Kitchen showed off his skills in front of five NFL scouts on Wednesday morning. It was all part of Kent State's Pro Day. The Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, and the Miami Dolphins were all on hand to evaluate Kent State's talent. Kitchen completed six stations, involving the 225 lb bench press, vertical jump, lateral jump, shuttle run, 40-yard dash, and the three cone drill. The 334 pound, 6'3" nose tackle trained for two months preparing for the Pro Day. -WYTV ABC33 News