Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Goodell on 18 games: 'People want more football' (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87007)

mesaSteeler 02-19-2012 07:02 AM

Goodell on 18 games: 'People want more football'

Goodell on 18 games: 'People want more football'
Posted on: February 17, 2012 8:39 pm
Edited on: February 17, 2012 9:42 pm
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbsspor...75988/34879880

Whether fans want it or not (they don't appear to), what about the safety concerns of an 18-game schedule? (US PRESSWIRE)

By Ryan Wilson

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's salary will reportedly double to $20 million as part of a new five-year contract extension from the NFL. That's a lot of coin but if the league wasn't awash in money the owners wouldn't reward Goodell with that kind of payday.

Not surprisingly, some players were less than effusive when they heard the news, probably because depending on your perspective, Goodell's tenure as commissioner falls somewhere between awesome (the owners) and awful (the players). Falcons wide receiver Roddy White tweeted apoplectically Tuesday:

"How in the hell can u pay a man this much money that can't run tackle or catch?"

And before you roll your eyes, this isn't a "he's never played the game!" argument. When someone suggested that Goodell's oversight as commissioner has allowed White to make a lot of money, White got testy.

"Thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard the players make this league dont ever forget that," White tweeted in response. "My god given talents feed me not him."

This is true. No fan in the history of tackle football has ever bought a ticket to a game to see Goodell. We talked about this on a recent Pick-6 Podcast and our opinion is basically this: Goodell is a savvy politician who worked his way up from the bottom and is now presiding over the nation's most popular sport. He is responsible for it's growth, yes, but without players the NFL wouldn't exist in it's current form. We're pretty sure Goodell would agree with this.

We mention this because Goodell spoke recently about the state of the league, specifically addressing expansion ("We are not considering expansion. I’ve tried to make that clear when I was asked by Bob Costas recently.") and the never-gonna-die 18-game schedule discussions.

“Well, I appreciate the enthusiasm for it and I hear it from the fans consistently," Goodell told ESPN 1050, dusting off his not-entirely-accurate talking points from this summer's lockout. "People want more football. I think they want less preseason and more regular season and that’s the concept we are talking about here."

Again, this is stretching the truth. Everybody -- fans, players, media -- thinks the preseason is too long. But that doesn't mean they want, say, two fewer preseason games if it means two more regular-season games. Last May, CBSSports.com's Josh Katzowitz did an informal Twitter poll and found that 83.9 percent of respondents were fine with the 16-game schedule.

In February 2011, Sports Illustrated's Peter King did his own Twitter poll and concluded that "18 percent of 1,200 football fans, less than one out of every five, want what Goodell says they want. And 82 percent want to keep it at 16 regular-season games."

But even if you call B.S. on the self-selection bias in such polls, what about this? Goodell has championed safety above all else but isn't he talking out of both sides of his mouth when he says "safety is No. 1" and then clamoring for two additional regular-season games because the fans want it?

In November 2010, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said "The additional games, the studies show, will not really increase injuries."

Technically, Ross was right. Esquire wrote about this issue back in January 2011:

Dated September 6, 2010, the 26-page version (of a study conducted by an independent research firm for an NFLPA injury report) relies on data from the NFL Injury Surveillance System in following 16,552 injuries from 2004 to 2009 — position-by-position, game-by-game, and location-by-location.

Over the course of a season, the analysis found that 16.1 percent of injuries occurred in training camp, another 24.7 percent in preseason, and 57.9 percent during the regular season. In total, 21.2 percent classified as "major" injuries, with severity increasing dramatically from the regular season to the postseason. And while game-related injuries actually trended down from week to week, the report's introduction of head-injury data provides an alarming juxtaposition…

The juxtaposition? Total team injuries decrease over the course of a 16-game season and into the postseason but the percentage of brain-related injuries increases over that same time. (You can see the charts here.)

Perhaps that's a function of better awareness about the long-term dangers of concussions, as well as improved testings procedures. "Still," the Esquire piece concludes, "the early version of the report states that each player now has a 10 percent chance of suffering from a concussion in a given season."

However you spin it, that's not good.

Back to Goodell's recent radio appearance:

"We wouldn’t add an extra two games without reducing the preseason and we are not going to do it without the players support, so we did that in the collective bargaining agreement instead of having the unilateral right, which we had," he said. "We determined that we were going to do this together. We are going to make changes in the offseason and during the preseason and during the regular season to make the game safer. If we can accomplish that we’ll look at the idea of restructuring the season and taking two preseason games away and the potential of adding regular season games, but I don’t think that will happen until at least 2013 or 14.”

Conspiracy theorists might say that while Goodell's crackdown on helmet-to-helmet hits and unprotected pass-catchers does make the game safer, it's also something he and the owners can point to in a few years and say, "See, we take this very seriously, illegal hits are down, the NFL is less violent, the next logical step: 18-game seasons."

Because other than money, there's no urgency here. If Goodell truly is listening to the fans (or the players), this wouldn't ever come up again. We're guessing that ain't happening.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're at it, add our RSS Feed

(I hate to see the NFL going the way of baseball and especially the NBA with endless and effectively meaningless games. The only way you could increase the number of games would be to increase the roster sizes but increasing the roster sizes won'[t get you a quality product. With more games the championship will come down to which team is least injured not which team is best. Well now I have yet another reason to hate Goodell. - mesa)

TRH 02-19-2012 05:06 PM

Re: Goodell on 18 games: 'People want more football'

It's all about the money. 18 games is a horrible theory.

While they don't loaf quite as much as Pro Bowl games, established players just don't go full 100% in pre-season games. So when he says "we'll drop a couple pre-season games", thats not a fair statement. Its apples and oranges.
Many players are barely making it through the season now as it is. Awful idea and i hope it promptly gets shut down.

4xSBChamps 02-20-2012 03:37 PM

... if given the choice between more-football, or less-Goodell, I think many long-time fans would be content with a 16 game season, and Goodell...

... doing-whatever she wants to do outside of football

ricardisimo 02-20-2012 05:39 PM

This man will ruin the game if left unchecked.

stb_steeler 02-20-2012 05:54 PM

I dont think Hines could withstand an 18 game season......:rofl: :toofunny:

4xSBChamps 02-20-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stb_steeler (Post 999024)
I dont think Hines could withstand an 18 game season......:rofl: :toofunny:

with our offensive line, our QB might-not, either

stb_steeler 02-20-2012 06:07 PM

:iagree:

Atlanta Dan 02-20-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRH (Post 998844)
It's all about the money. 18 games is a horrible theory.

While they don't loaf quite as much as Pro Bowl games, established players just don't go full 100% in pre-season games. So when he says "we'll drop a couple pre-season games", thats not a fair statement. Its apples and oranges.
Many players are barely making it through the season now as it is. Awful idea and i hope it promptly gets shut down.

Peter King tracks your thoughts

"I appreciate the enthusiasm for it and I hear it from the fans consistently. People want more football. I think they want less preseason and more regular season and that's the concept we are talking about here."

King responds to that quote from Goodell

Just who exactly is the commissioner hearing from "constantly?'' And if you're out there, I'd love to hear from you.
:chuckle:
There is no good reason to subject NFL players to two more games that count. The only reason is greed. The idea of an equal exchange -- two regular season games in, two preseason games out -- between games that don't count and those that do is folly. On average, veteran players play between four and six quarters in the preseason, and some not that much. On average, veteran players play all of a regular season game. So to say the four series a veteran would play in the preseason (at less intensity, for the most part) is equivalent in any way to a regular season game is misleading at best. I've asked fans, by Twitter poll, if they'd like to see 18 regular season games, and the overwhelming answer was no..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....agents/1.html

steelerchad 02-20-2012 08:55 PM

I'd prefer 18 games for sure. I don't go to the preseason games and basically give the tickets away. Having real home games and only 1 preseason game to throw in the trash would be a lot better for me personally. For the Steelers, it's not an issue as they sell out with season ticket holders. But, how many tickets go unsold with other teams for the preseason. The NFL is leaving a lot of ticket money and more importantly tv money on the table with 4 weeks of preseason.

Maybe a 17 game season with an extra bye week would give both sides a little something. I kind of like the idea of a non conference geographic rivalry game between 2 teams on an annual basis at a neutral or alternating site. That way you get 8 home, 8 away, and 1 nuetral site game. For that extra game, you get a 2nd bye week to rest in exchange.

Just a couple of ideas. Steelers vs. Eagles at Happy Valley every year. That stadium could hold most of both teams fan bases. Ravens vs. Redskins. Alternate the game between Fedex field and M&T. Giants vs. Jets. Raiders vs. 49ers. Colts vs. Bears. Jags vs. Bucs in Orlando. Both teams need help selling tickets and this game would allow both teams fans to attend. Browns vs. Bengals at the horseshoe would make sense except for the division being the same. Cowboys vs. Texans. There are quite a few games that make sense and it would be an easy travel week for most teams. You could also rotate this game once every decade to a nuetral site out of the country (London, Mexico, Germany) to cover the NFL's desire to expand globally.

JPPT1974 02-20-2012 10:02 PM

There could be more injuries and much more ruin to the game. As your body can take. Really looked up to Goodell. But now, not so much!