Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Right on the Nose (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87208)

pete74 02-26-2012 05:28 AM

Right on the Nose

INDIANAPOLIS – On the first day of the NFL Combine, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert reaffirmed that his coach, Mike Tomlin, will stick with the 3-4 defense, meaning nose tackle remains an important piece.
But Casey Hampton, who’ll turn 35 before the 2012 opener, was 12th on the defense last season in snaps per games played. So Colbert was asked if it’s still wise to draft a nose tackle in the first round.

“You can’t get to third down if you don’t stop them on first and second, so that’s important,” Colbert said. “Traditionally, anybody you take in the first round you like to be three-down players. But a nose tackle, chances are you’re not going to get him if you don’t take him high, if they’re worth anything.”

Colbert said this year’s pool of nose tackles is “a good group. It’s not as deep as a couple of the other positions, but there are enough. We’ll have opportunities to look at some in higher rounds.”

Here’s the rundown of the best of those nose tackles, or at least those who showed up Saturday at the Combine:

* Dontari Poe is a 6-4, 346-pound junior out of Memphis. He won’t turn 22 until August. He’s young and experts say he’s raw, and they wonder whether at his height he can be a true nose tackle.

“Well, most people see me as a 3-4 nose tackle, which is cool with me,” said Poe, who also played the 3 and 5 techniques at Memphis.

Poe also thought it was “cool” that he’s been compared at times to Casey Hampton.

“I’m pretty into football. I’ve followed him for a long time,” Poe said. “Once he gets his hands on you he kind of controls you. That’s probably what I admire most about him.”

Poe’s weight-room work ethic is well known. And one of his goals at the combine is to bench 225 pounds 40 times.

“I love the weight room,” he said. “I’m self-intrinsically motivated to do it.”

It shows. While Poe weighs 346 pounds, he doesn’t appear fat and will be an interesting player to watch during Sunday’s drills.

* Alameda Ta’amu, at 6-2½, 348, is a more natural nose tackle than Poe, but Ta’amu’s not as athletic. He also turns 22 in August but was a three-year starter (four-year letterman) at Washington and has better pedigree than Poe.

* Josh Chapman, 6-0, 316, was the Alabama nose tackle. He could go as high as the second round, but a torn ACL, which he played with throughout the second half of last season, will prohibit him from working out and could cost him in the draft. Chapman told reporters he’ll be running in a couple of weeks and expects to report to training camp on time.

* Mike Martin, 6-1½, 306, was more of a 4-3 nose tackle than a true 0-technique at Michigan, but his work ethic and motor are similar to that of Chris Hoke, a 305-pounder who lasted 10 years in the league.

Martin explained why he thinks he can play nose in a 3-4 at his size.

“Because of my leverage,” said the two-time Michigan state high school heavyweight wrestling champ.

“I love being called ‘small.’ I love it. I have a chip on my shoulder. I’ve been called ‘undersized’ my whole life when it comes to playing the position. My leverage and everything that goes into playing nose, I’m just really good at it

19ward86 02-26-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Right on the Nose

Love this. D line is way too important and aged...Needs to be addressed early.

El-Gonzo Jackson 02-26-2012 07:26 PM

How is the D line aged?? A couple #1 picks in Hood and Heyward, plus reserves in McClendon, Al Woods .....with Keisel a starter and Hampton the only question mark.

They are 1 pick away from one of the youngest D lines in NFL. I would be happy if we could land either Poe or Ta'amu to be the NT of the future.

tony hipchest 02-26-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 1000132)
How is the D line aged?? .

because the young and sprightly warren sapp (who still thinks he can start in this league) says so? :noidea:

chitownpit 02-26-2012 11:58 PM

two of those guys will be around late 2nd round, chapman maybe 3rd,
Please take a guard that can dominate next year with that first pick, if wallace left
and we had two first round picks next year i still take a guard first pick, we must
address this ,ben cant be playing with broken bones every week

kan_t 02-27-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitownpit (Post 1000155)
two of those guys will be around late 2nd round, chapman maybe 3rd,
Please take a guard that can dominate next year with that first pick, if wallace left
and we had two first round picks next year i still take a guard first pick, we must
address this ,ben cant be playing with broken bones every week

The only guard which can start and dominate immediately is DeCastro and he will be long gone when it's up to Steelers' turn. I will be happy if they draft Glenn but with a good combine I'm not sure he will be available either. So it's reasonable for the Steelers to address other needs like NT or ILB in the first round and pick a first round talent instead of over-draft a guard who is available in the second round.

pete74 02-27-2012 10:27 AM

i doubt Poe will be around when we pick. after he worked out at the combine his stock is going thru the roof. 41 reps on the bench is impressive

Bayz101 02-27-2012 10:33 AM

Actually, it's 44. Even better.

Kingmagyar 02-27-2012 01:01 PM

Dontari Poe's combine results in a nutshell ....

WOW!

San Diego could snag him before us.

pancake 02-27-2012 02:36 PM

I would like to get the Poe kid, but his stock is climbing...