Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   2012 NFL Scouting Combine (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dontari Poe is a freak (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87235)

steelers33 02-27-2012 12:14 PM

Dontari Poe is a freak

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry-individual/

Dontari Poe is scary

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 27, 2012, 12:12 PM EST

Robert Griffin III won the press conference.. Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe could be winning the Combine on the field.

The 346-pounder has put together a crazy combination of size and strength at Lucas Oil Field.

The Memphis product put up 44 reps at 225 pounds, which was the most of any player at the Combine. That was impressive, but not shocking. Poe’s times while running on Monday were more eye-opening.

Poe ran an “unofficial” 4.87 forty-yard dash. That is a preposterous number for a man that big. Poe’s 1.7 ten-yard split is even more telling and more impressive.

Many 3-4 teams will see Poe as a nose tackle. That’s probably where he will get drafted, but Monday’s workout shows that Poe could be moved around in a variety of defensive line positions on a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

While Poe didn’t play quite like a top-20 pick in college just yet, he was already seen as a first round pick. This workout should push him into the top 20 or higher.
(Debate on whether to take a player by their college production or combine numbers.)Athletic 3-4 nose tackles don’t come along every year.

If he makes it to 24 should we take him?

pete74 02-27-2012 12:19 PM

Re: Dontari Poe is a freak

i would love to have him but he wont make it past pick 20 at the absolute worst

Fire Arians 02-27-2012 12:26 PM

44 reps? holy shit man.

kan_t 02-27-2012 12:31 PM

I'm a happy man if Glenn or Poe falls to the Steelers.

pete74 02-27-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kan_t (Post 1000226)
I'm a happy man if Glenn or Poe falls to the Steelers.

i would be to but odds are they will both be gone well before we pick. Dallas will take Glenn and after the combine im sure anyone would love to have Poe. he can play anywere on the line with his size, speed and strength

kan_t 02-27-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete74 (Post 1000227)
i would be to but odds are they will both be gone well before we pick. Dallas will take Glenn and after the combine im sure anyone would love to have Poe. he can play anywere on the line with his size, speed and strength

In this case I hope Hightower is still there. If he's also gone, I have no idea who should be picked in the first round. They may be better off trading down and collect more picks.

19ward86 02-27-2012 01:00 PM

if they are taken...we could always draft a kicker! :coffee:

Edman 02-27-2012 01:15 PM

Tape is more important than measurables.

MasterOfPuppets 02-27-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kan_t (Post 1000238)
In this case I hope Hightower is still there. If he's also gone, I have no idea who should be picked in the first round. They may be better off trading down and collect more picks.

i see hightower ran a 4.62 forty. pretty impressive for 265 lbs. i was worried he wouldn't have the speed to run with TE's , but apparently he does.
on the flip side burfict ran a not so impressive 4.93 at 248 lbs. , but yet burfict is the one touted as be athletic.
hightower could be the next levon kirkland.

truesteelerfan 02-27-2012 01:56 PM

I would absolutely take him if he's there at 24, but if not, we have enough other needs that I wouldn't trade up to get him.