Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lasting memories of Hines Ward (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87342)

mesaSteeler 03-01-2012 07:59 AM

Lasting memories of Hines Ward

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Thursday, March 01, 2012
Lasting memories of Hines Ward

The Steelers made the tough, but logical, choice on Wednesday and announced their plans to release wide receiver Hines Ward.

Perhaps it's fitting that it occurred on Feb. 29, Leap Year.

One of my lasting memories of Ward and there are plenty will be his half-skip, half-leap in the end zone after catching the game-clinching touchdown pass from Antwaan Randle El in Super Bowl XL.

For 14 seasons, Ward has personified the Steelers organization. He was tough. He was gritty. He was a football player.

In an age when many wide receivers have been me-first prima donnas, Ward worked his tail off in all facets of the game.

When he was a special teams player, he was the best special teams player he could be. When he was needed as a blocker, he threw himself into it with reckless abandon. When he was relegated to being a backup, he did so gracefully.

Here's hoping he takes the giant hint the Steelers gave him Wednesday and doesn't attempt to try and come back another season elsewhere.

The Steelers made it quite obvious that they don't feel he can play any longer.

Their concerted effort to get him 1,000 receptions made their intentions obvious. They didn't want the season to end with Ward short of his goal because they were pretty sure they weren't going to bring him back.

And now that's the case.

Some will say that because of what Ward has meant for the team, the Steelers owed him the opportunity to come back.

But that's ridiculous. The Steelers took care of their debt to Ward in Week 17 in Cleveland when they got him his 1,000th catch.

They told him they didn't think he could play any longer.

He is choosing not to believe them.

And that's a shame.

Maybe Ward will come to his senses soon and realize that at 36, he not only can't, but doesn't need, to play football any longer.

The thought of Ward finishing out his career in another city playing for another team just isn't right.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 1:53 AM 3 Comments Links to this post
Monday, February 27, 2012
Poe likely moves out of Steelers range

Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe likely moved out of the range of the Steelers in the first round of the draft when he clocked in at and official 4.98 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine Monday.

Original times had him at 4.87 seconds, but 4.98 is still pretty darn good when you consider Poe is 6-4, 346 pounds and also had the best bench at this combine, putting up 225 pounds 44 times.

He also blistered his 10-yard time in 1.70 seconds, showing plenty of explosiveness.

There is a question as to why that didn't necessarily translate into more big plays at Memphis, but if you're looking for a guy who has the power and burst to occupy two blockers at the nose - and possibly shift outside at times to end in a 3-4 - Poe is your guy.

The linebacker prospects also ran on Monday and there are a pair there that should interest the Steelers a great deal.

Boston College's Luke Kuechly (6-3, 242), my personal favorite, answered questions about his speed by blistering the 40 in 4.58 seconds.

Kuchely's instincts might be unmatched by the players available in this draft and the only question about him was whether he had the kind of speed needed to go sideline to sideline. The top tackler in the nation last season with 191(!) answered those questions.

The other top-rated inside linebacker, Alabama's Dont'a Hightower, doesn't have Kuechly's instincts - who does? - but he's built like current Steelers star LaMarr Woodley, with thick legs and body.

At 6-2, 265 pounds, Hightower ran the 40 in 4.68 seconds. He has the added bonus of being able to line up outside as well and give you some pass rush.

Selecting Hightower in the draft would give the Steelers the luxury of never having to move Lawrence Timmons who was terrible on the outside out there again.

LayingTheWoodley56 03-01-2012 09:51 AM

Re: Lasting memories of Hines Ward

That is my favorite memory of my all-time favorite Steeler, also. Everything he said about Hines is true, sadly, even the part about him being finished. Can he be valuable for a bad team as a third wideout/team leader? Sure. But Hines has played the vast majority of his career on good teams playing in big games. You can't tell me he'll be satisfied ending his career on a 7-9 team in a different uniform.

You have nothing left to prove Hines! As Eminem once said, "when you're run is over, just admit when it's it, it's it."

VA_steeelrs 03-01-2012 09:55 AM

It kills me to see Ward in other uniforms. So sad...
that said, I still wish him best luck, may be not against Steelers

ben2hines=6 03-01-2012 09:31 PM

my favorite hines moments are keith rivers and ed reed multiple times... punishment

tanda10506 03-01-2012 11:40 PM

Best memories were the SB catch from Randle El, the Keith Rivers block, all the big hits on Ed Reed especially the one where he signals for medical attention for Reed after blowing him up, the catches in the middle of the field in in EVERY playoff game except this year, especially the 2008 championship game. I disagree with him being done completely, but at least Ray Lewis and Ed Reed can relax lol.

StainlessStill 03-01-2012 11:50 PM

The Hines Ward highlight reel is practically non-stop inside of my head. I can go on and on and on.

The one catch that WASN'T a catch that keeps popping in my mind was the 2001 AFC Championship game VS New England.

In a crucial moment in the game, Kordell cocked back and fired a missile down the sidelines. The target was Hines and he made this SPECTACULAR catch, stretching out with all of his mite and hauling in this Swann-like catch. His butt landed in-bounds but the refs ruled it incomplete and a no-catch. To this day, I still think that's a catch and I believe that would of put us in a position to go to the Super Bowl and pull that game out.

tony hipchest 03-02-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 1000909)

In a crucial moment in the game, Kordell cocked back and fired a missile down the sidelines. The target was Hines and he made this SPECTACULAR catch, stretching out with all of his mite and hauling in this Swann-like catch. His butt landed in-bounds but the refs ruled it incomplete and a no-catch. To this day, I still think that's a catch and I believe that would of put us in a position to go to the Super Bowl and pull that game out.

great call!

i havent thought about that play in a while. it was one of the best catches you'd ever see that was ruled a non catch and i agree that it was a blown call.

one of the multitude of things that just didnt go our way that day. (who woulda ever thought knocking brady out of a game would be the WRONG thing to do?)

it was after that loss i bought wards upper deck rookie autograph card offa ebay for 5 bucks (did the same with$5 rookie auto cards of sanders and brown after last years sb loss as well).

sure wish i coulda seen ward play live.

StainlessStill 03-02-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1000922)
it was after that loss i bought wards upper deck rookie autograph card offa ebay for 5 bucks (did the same with$5 rookie auto cards of sanders and brown after last years sb loss as well).

sure wish i coulda seen ward play live.

I remember my Aunt came over on a hot-summer day while we had a cookout at my place. She came in and handed me a little stack of cards and in it, was a Hines Ward rookie card. He's seen bending at the knee's, stretching out in his away #19 Georgia Bulldog jersey awaiting a kickoff I believe. Have it in my Steelers-box as we speak.

It's a shame you never seen him play live. Shit, it seems like every time I went, he had one of his milestone games and lit the place on fire. Wish more fans like you could experience the thrill of going to games. Nothing like it. NOTHING.

tony hipchest 03-02-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 1000929)

It's a shame you never seen him play live. Shit, it seems like every time I went, he had one of his milestone games and lit the place on fire. Wish more fans like you could experience the thrill of going to games. Nothing like it. NOTHING.

thanks man. :drink: last time i was in pgh i was just glad to finally see the pirates play life in their "new" park. it was the final game of the season 2 years ago when ben was serving his suspension and charlie batch was beating the bucs in tampa bay (the only time i missed watching the steelers on TV because i was watching baseball instead).

the next sunday, as i begun the 2400 mile drive out of town, we drove right by the stadium and the thousands of tailgaters for the ravens game on our way to the ft. pitt tunnel.

:banging: :doh::mad: :frown:

Kingmagyar 03-02-2012 03:21 AM

Always knew we had something special from Hines but it was that 2002 season playoff game against Cleveland where Tommy Maddox came back from a huge 4th quarter deficit. Hines was so clutch. You knew we could count on him, and ever since then he was our clutch guy in almost every comeback victory we had during the 2000s decade. Mr Clutch. Mr Reliable. Mr. Destruction.

The Hall of Fame committee must recognize Hines' many intangibles and put him in the hall.