Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.6.12 (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87544)

mesaSteeler 03-06-2012 06:31 PM

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.6.12

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.6.12
Tuesday, 06 March 2012 17:07
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ranscript-3612

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin.

Adam: With Poe rising out of reach of the Steelers, I have seen many mock drafts with the Steelers taking Hightower. Is he a good fit in your opinion?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, although you'd probably rather see them take a nose tackle.

Mike: If the Patriots or 49ers were to make a play for Mike Wallace, would the steelers consider releasing Larry Foote and/or Casey Hampton in an attempt to keep him (Wallace)?

Ed Bouchette: Hampton is recovering from torn ACL surgery, so to release him would cost at least half of his salary. I think if either team signed Wallace, if the contract is too high, they will let him go and take the first-round draft pick in return.

mikeflores16: Any chance Steelers try to pick up G or ILB via free agency?

Ed Bouchette: yes, there's always a chance that in their trolling at the bottom of the free agency pool they could snag one for not-too-much. Not a good chance, though.

Taz: Hi Ed, When will RFA tags be made known? I see that Wallace will get a 1st round RFA tender, but I haven't seen anywhere that it's become official. Seems like they must still be trying to come to a real multi-year deal.

Ed Bouchette: The tender must be placed on him from now until 4 p.m. Tuesday. Don't think it's been issued yet on any of their RFAs.

Lorax: If the steelers are unable to sign Wallace might they turn their attention to Antonio Brown?

Ed Bouchette: Not until after next season.

Taz: Hi Ed. Thanks for chatting. The Steelers have announced that they WILL cut Smith, Farrior, Ward, and Kemoeatu, but HAVE they actually done so? If not, when do the cuts become official so that those players can begin to seek other teams?

Ed Bouchette: Even if they cut them today, they cannot sign anywhere until March 13 starting at 4 p.m. I don't think they've actually released them yet. The suspense, though, is killing me.

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, do you agree with the conventional wisdom that the Steelers would have little or nothing to fear of a league-wide bounty investigation?

Ed Bouchette: Truly, I have no idea. I have never heard a hint of such a thing, but reporters in those other cities may not have heard either. It's not like the players were talking openly about it.

Adam: Which is more likely: The Steelers match a big contract offered by another team to Wallace or the Steelers offer a long extension to Wallace?

Ed Bouchette: They've probably already offered him a long extension, or at least talked to his agent about one.

Steel Curtain Rising: It came down to Farrior or Foote, based on what you know what was the determining factor in the nod towards Foote?

Ed Bouchette: I was told awhile ago that the decision would come down to whether they wanted to keep the old guy or the slow guy.

Adam: With the current Defensive lineup (pre draft) can the Steelers continue to stop the run and pressure the QB?

Ed Bouchette: It's become more important to stop the pass and with Woodley and Harrison healthy, yes, I think they can pressure the QB.

mikeflores16: How concerned is the staff about Sanders' ability to stay healthy?

Ed Bouchette: Until he shows he can stay healthy, I would think there is some concern, especially since both -- oops, mute button time as coveritlive forces us to listen to an ad -- of his feet have had problems, in addition to a knee, and at his young age.

Chooch: Since no restricted FA with a 1st round tender has signed an offer sheet league-wide in over 10 years, isn't all of the talk about Mike Wallace possibly getting an offer just a bunch of hot air?

Ed Bouchette: I'm on record as believing no team will sign him. However, the rules were different before this year, requiring draft picks in the first and third rounds for the high tenders. So, maybe there is some team out there who believes the Mike Wallce of the first half of last season will put them over the top.

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, in year's past Mike Tomlin went out of his way to sing Hines Ward's praises, yet as you pointed out Tomlin did not tell Hines about his bench and Tomlin made no statement upon Hines release. What changed in their relationship?

Ed Bouchette: Coaches say -- and don't say -- things that often fit their purpose more than anything.

HotRod: do they have legit interest in Plaxico? or he is only an option if they lose Wallace & Cotchery?

Ed Bouchette: I would think if they lost Wallace and Cotchery, they would have an interest in all kinds of receivers, including Burress.

Horton: Any names that you are hearing through the grape vine with regards to draft prospects?

Ed Bouchette: Only from the media and fans, because the Steelers have not come close to formulating their draft board.

Guest: What's the latest on Kirby Wilson and who will be his replacement?

Ed Bouchette: Per a tweet by Marcus Gilbert the other day, Kirby is walking and ready to soon leave the burn unit. That is all I know. I think they hope to have him back on staff in time for the season.

Chooch: Do you see any teams making an offer on any Steeler FAs besides Wallace?

Ed Bouchette: Possibly William Gay, but maybe as a No. 3. Byron Leftwich could go elsewhere as a No. 2 but he wants to stay here in that role.

Adam: I keep seeing Alemeda Ta'amu fall to the Steelers in the second round of Mock Drafts. As second rounds don't usually receive as much attention, is this DT from Washington a good value or will he be average at best?

Ed Bouchette: I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure who might fall to them on the fifth round. You might want to check back, though, because I haven't yet told the Steelers about my inside information on this.

mikeflores16: Any word on whether Keenan Lewis will attract any interest?

Ed Bouchette: Haven't heard any, no, but a team could take a flyer on him because he should not demand a big price.

Horton: Do you think that Cotchery will now re-sign with the steelers?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers are negotiating with him and if they cannot sign him by Tuesday, look for him to go elsewhere.

Emperor Chaz: Hines Ward will be wearing who's uniform next year?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe the NFL Network's.

Taz: Ed, why the uproar about the Saints now, but when Suggs said in 2008 that they had a bounty on Rashard and Hines, the league basically did nothing? Is the lesson here that the Saints should have just lawyered-up like Suggs did?

Ed Bouchette: No, it probably wasn't politically correct enough back then to crack down on bounties as it is now. Or, maybe the NFL did investigate and found nothing. Who heard about this investigation until the NFL revealed what it had found?

Rob: Ed, what are the chances that Chris Kemo or James Farrior sign with another team?

Ed Bouchette: I think someone will sign Chris K, not sure Farrior will find another team.

Roy Gerela: Ed What do make of the Browns using their Tag on Phil Dawson?

Ed Bouchette: Why not? It's cheap to tag a kicker. Remember that the Steelers did it to Jeff Reed the year before they released him.

Scott: What is your sense about what the Steelers will do about ILB now that Farrior is gone?

Ed Bouchette: Foote and Timmons, and draft one.

Horton: Are the coaches feeling comfortable with Cameron Heyward's progress and that he will be able to be a bigger contributor next season?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I believe they do.

chuck: Will the released Steelers will be replaced with draft picks only??

Ed Bouchette: Aaron Smith and Hines Ward were replaced by draft picks long before they were released. They do need to find another inside linebacker for Farrior. And they have to find some guards because they are thin there.

FoolBack: Ed, don't you think this "bounty" issue is actually less concerning than "Spygate"? If I'm the Saints, I'd be livid if my penalty was more harsh than what the Pats received.

Ed Bouchette: Spygate gave the New England Patriots and illegal and unfair advantage over opponents. Bountygate merely paid players for what they do anyway, albeit illegal under NFL rules.

Mungo Jerry: If Larry Foote is released will Rex Ryan pick him up since he has such an obsession with feet?

Ed Bouchette: What makes you think Foote will be released? They released Farrior; they CAN'T release Foote too.

Ryan: What are Troy Smiths chances of making the team?

Ed Bouchette: Only chance would be as a No. 3 QB, and he'd have to knock out Charlie Batch for that.

Fed Up Steeler Fan: NFL and Steelers are making record profits and they raise ticket prices. I'm done!

Ed Bouchette: Good bye. Hope you find some place that doesn't raise ticket prices. Oh, and if you are a season ticket holder who will be giving up your seats, they will be gobbled up by the next guy who has been on their waiting list to buy them for 25 years. It's all about supply and demand.

Adam: How many compensatory picks do you suspect the Steelers will get and in which rounds?

Ed Bouchette: It's hard to figure out that system, but if they get any I would figure one in the seventh round.

Okiesteeler fan: Any 2012 schedule release date from the NFL offices yet?

Ed Bouchette: it's usually in April.

The Wiz: Am I crazy for thinking Wallace leaving and getting a first round pick in exchange is a good thing for the Steelers? I thought he regressed quite a bit in the 2nd half of last year, and I would rather spend that kind of money on other needs. If they can resign Cotchery, we have bigger needs. Thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: My thoughts? Call me crazy too.

columbusjack: Ed, I don't remember seeing MT in the audience during last year's Dancing with the Stars - what do make of that?

Ed Bouchette: You cannot call him crazy.

Harry: Will the steelers lobby to play or not to play in the league opener at the Giants?

Ed Bouchette: That is not something the Steelers would lobby for or against.

ben: What o-lineman do you like that maybe in the steelers grasp in the draft

Ed Bouchette: The kid from Georgia.

Chooch: What do you think will be the penalty given to the Saints and their coach over the bounty investigation?

Ed Bouchette: Listening to all the over-the-top commentary, I would think nothing short of the death penalty.

rob from thomaston,ct: ed do you feel coach Tomlin might be mad or upset that some of the important decision making this year was done by the Rooney's and not Tomlin. its like the Rooney's are creating there team not Tomlin's as a coach

Ed Bouchette: You really should learn to spell just a little if you are going to chat. There is only one instance in which I believe Art Rooney put his foot down, and that was firing Bruce Arians.

Adam: Do you see Mendenhall in a Steelers uniform for the 2013 season?

Ed Bouchette: No.

mikeflores16: Do you see either Hood or Heyward developing into All-Pros?

Ed Bouchette: I'd like to see them start for a full season first.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you all for today's chat. I have next week off so there will be no chat, at least not by me. We'll pick it up in two weeks from today.

Curtain_of_Steel 03-06-2012 07:06 PM

Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.6.12

Ok so what did we learn?

1) We picked the SLOW guy versus the OLD guy for our ILB, lol

2) People actually think in a way Cotchery is the answer if Wallace leaves..

3) Rooney put his foot down on Arians? Although wasn't there a denial? I'll go with the reporter on this one..

Didnt learn much more other than good luck to anyone who signs Kemo, hopefully its someone we place twice. He can showcase is talents to us on the other side of the ball.

MasterOfPuppets 03-06-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Mungo Jerry: If Larry Foote is released will Rex Ryan pick him up since he has such an obsession with feet?

Ed Bouchette: What makes you think Foote will be released? They released Farrior; they CAN'T release Foote too.
ZZZZZZing..went right over ed's head....:chuckle:

Fire Arians 03-06-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 1001690)
ZZZZZZing..went right over ed's head....:chuckle:

OWNED!

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

austinfrench76 03-06-2012 10:41 PM

I've always wondered why Bouchette does these chats. He always comes off annoyed and like an asshole. Just my opinion. I learned nothing...

OX1947 03-06-2012 11:02 PM

Ed is a massive dickwad.

tony hipchest 03-07-2012 12:11 AM

i like the chats. anyone who asks a good question, generally gets a good answer.

unfortunately the majority are dumbasses asking dumbassed questions and they typically get a sarcastic dumbassed response. :hunch:

sometimes informative and insightful. most of the times, atleast entertaining.

take the good with the bad. part of eds job is to ask questions to mike tomlin every week, and he seldom gets the answers he wants....

anyways there is no steelers beat writer who has a positive approval rating = par for the course.

tunes4life 03-07-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinfrench76 (Post 1001693)
I've always wondered why Bouchette does these chats. He always comes off annoyed and like an asshole. Just my opinion. I learned nothing...

I remember reading a couple years ago in one of his chats that it was part of his contract and that he didn't like doing the chats. Plus, he is an asshole.

Steel Boss 03-07-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1001707)
i like the chats. anyone who asks a good question, generally gets a good answer.

unfortunately the majority are dumbasses asking dumbassed questions and they typically get a sarcastic dumbassed response. :hunch:

take the good with the bad. part of eds job is to ask questions to mike tomlin every week, and he seldom gets the answers he wants....

anyways there is no steelers beat writer who has a positive approval rating = par for the course.

So asking why they chose Foote over Farrior was a dumbassed question that deserved a sarcastic non-answer?

vasteeler 03-07-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1001707)

agreed, i look forward to his chats