Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Morris Claiborne to the Steelers? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87702)

Cpitt78 03-13-2012 01:24 PM

Morris Claiborne to the Steelers?

We all know that Mike Tomlin started his coaching career in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Bucs and if he still has any connections there I am wondering if we could make a deal to trade down to the 5 spot.

Here is what I am thinking. If we lose Mike Wallace and end up with two first round picks, we could be in a position to package them both and move down to the 5 spot to get a shut down corner like Morris Claiborne from LSU.

Think about it guys. Ike isn't going to last forever and we had to reach up for Troy. Playmakers like this on defense are hard to come by.

Thoughts?

GO STEELERS! :tt04:

Buddha Bus 03-13-2012 01:50 PM

Re: Morris Claiborne to the Steelers?

I think you mean trade UP to the 5 spot, but I wouldn't mind it if we lost Wallace and packaged the two 1st round picks for a stud player. That said, I'd rather just stand pat with the 2 picks considering the Steelers rarely get multiple 1st round picks and usually don't miss in that round.

I'd like to see us get a successor to Farrior at ILB AND a solid OG there to fill two areas of need. We probably couldn't really afford a high 1st round draft pick anyway since we're so tight against the cap. I lean "no" on this question.

Fire Arians 03-13-2012 01:58 PM

:shootme:

OX1947 03-13-2012 01:58 PM

Bucs wouldnt do that. I would love it, but 2 late first rounds might not be enough to get the 5th pick. probably would need to give up a 2nd and change.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-13-2012 02:05 PM

If we did, then I would not want to draft a CB. Justin Blackmon, Riley Reiff, Jonathan Martin would be more what the Steelers need.

Still, I'd rather stick with the 2 draft picks and maybe take Hightower and Ta'amu (or Zeitler) at the bottom of the 1st.

Cpitt78 03-13-2012 02:10 PM

Really? You wouldn't want a stud corner? I honestly think with the passing game becoming what it is we need to get another shut down option out there.

Cpitt78 03-13-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha Bus (Post 1002451)
I think you mean trade UP to the 5 spot, but I wouldn't mind it if we lost Wallace and packaged the two 1st round picks for a stud player. That said, I'd rather just stand pat with the 2 picks considering the Steelers rarely get multiple 1st round picks and usually don't miss in that round.

I'd like to see us get a successor to Farrior at ILB AND a solid OG there to fill two areas of need. We probably couldn't really afford a high 1st round draft pick anyway since we're so tight against the cap. I lean "no" on this question.

Yes. I meant trade up. :) I guess I am still burnt from losing Revis to the Jets. I still think that is who we really wanted.

Bayz101 03-13-2012 02:23 PM

Well, I like the idea of trading up to get #5, but I think it'd also cost us a second round pick on top of the two first's. As for what we'd pick, I probably wouldn't get a corner. We have lot's of young talent at corner, and it was our #1 asset on defense last year. It's time to get this rush-defense back to Steeler quality and pick a Farrior successor. That being said, keep both picks and get more talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-13-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpitt78 (Post 1002458)
Really? You wouldn't want a stud corner? I honestly think with the passing game becoming what it is we need to get another shut down option out there.

Lets see....we drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen last year, signed Ike Taylor long term last year and tendered Keenan Lewis who emerged last season. I think we are good at CB.

Ask the Browns how drafting "stud corner" Joe Hayden from Florida #7 overall is solving their problems.

Steelers need to get younger and better at NT, ILB, OG, OT. Why spend 2 ist round picks to upgrade position we have depth at??

tony hipchest 03-13-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OX1947 (Post 1002453)
Bucs wouldnt do that. I would love it, but 2 late first rounds might not be enough to get the 5th pick. probably would need to give up a 2nd and change.

:yep:

according to the draft pick value chart, the #5 pick is worth 1700. our 24, new englands 31 PLUS our second and 7th would equal 1700. after what washington got for their #2 the bucs wouldnt accept anything less than 1700.

with that being said, id rather pay 2 late 1st round picks than the #5 and use the wallace savings to try and sign eric winston to a long term deal.