Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Which Practice squad or recently signed (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87731)

RuHappy69 03-14-2012 03:53 PM

Which Practice squad or recently signed

Players have a legitimate shot to contribute/surprise next year? It's a good exercise in the off season.

BengalDestroyer 03-14-2012 03:56 PM

Re: Which Practice squad or recently signed

chris scott, tyler grisham

Fire Arians 03-14-2012 03:56 PM

chad spann (with mendenhall injured and moore in his twilight years, he has a chance to make the roster as a change of pace or 3rd down back)
troy smith (has a legitimate shot to win the #2 qb)
da'mon smith-cromartie (always seems to do well in the preseason, the team is looking for safety depth)

6RingsAndCounting 03-14-2012 06:33 PM

Myron Rolle! At least I hope so.

ShutDown24 03-14-2012 08:12 PM

Walter McFadden is a guy who can really play - although it' an awkward situation considering the team just cut his brother haha.

Rolle could make the team. It seems as if the coaches like him at cornerback - http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/...cornerback-22/

Cromartie-Smith has always been a favorite of mine.

Fire Arians 03-15-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 1002733)
Walter McFadden is a guy who can really play - although it' an awkward situation considering the team just cut his brother haha.

Rolle could make the team. It seems as if the coaches like him at cornerback - http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/...cornerback-22/

Cromartie-Smith has always been a favorite of mine.

rolle fell off draft boards because of slow 40 times in the combine, but according to his website, has been training with speed coaches during his break from football and as improved it to the low 4.4 range.

though, i don't know if he can beat out cortez allen / curtis brown, he has a big challenge ahead because those 2 kids show a lot of promise

on another note, I've read somewhere that athletes that score really high on the wonderlic tests don't pan out in the nfl? something about players that are 'more intelligent' than their coaches, and know it, are less likely to listen to what they are trying to teach them

tony hipchest 03-15-2012 01:04 AM

i think its gonna be baron batch. were he healthy last season, he woulda been given a legitimate shot to play and even surpass redman on the depth chart (clay and spann were on our playoff roster).

if nothing else, he will take mewelde moore's job this year.

Bayz101 03-15-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalDestroyer (Post 1002675)
chris scott, tyler grisham

Grisham isn't on our practice squad.

ShutDown24 03-15-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1002757)
rolle fell off draft boards because of slow 40 times in the combine, but according to his website, has been training with speed coaches during his break from football and as improved it to the low 4.4 range.

though, i don't know if he can beat out cortez allen / curtis brown, he has a big challenge ahead because those 2 kids show a lot of promise

on another note, I've read somewhere that athletes that score really high on the wonderlic tests don't pan out in the nfl? something about players that are 'more intelligent' than their coaches, and know it, are less likely to listen to what they are trying to teach them

I don't think Rolle has a shot in hell to beat out Allen or Brown - but looking at the depth chart at corner right now it looks like

1. Ike Taylor
2. Keenan Lewis
3. Cortez Allen (Or Brown)
4. Curtis Brown (Or Allen)
5. Walter McFadden/Antonio Smith/Myron Rolle
6. Rookie/McFadden/Smith/Rolle

So really, there are two spots available; assuming the team selects a corner in the mid to late rounds of the draft and does not sign a free agent at the position.

So there is opportunity. And Rolle was a fantastic athlete at FSU. The year he entered the draft there seemed to be this idea that he was only getting by on intelligence alone which is bull.

I really don't see him making the team, but if he comes in and impresses it's not like there isn't room on the roster. He definitely has a shot.

RuHappy69 03-15-2012 07:10 AM

Chris Scott is an interesting guy. He was a top prospect coming out of HS (4 or 5 star Rivals) and he has the versatility that the Steelers like. If I recall he also did pretty well at the Tennessee pro day..