Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Has every team signed a free agent except us (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87738)

ETL 03-14-2012 08:10 PM

Has every team signed a free agent except us

Have we ever had a year where we didn't sign a free agent (not counting our own) and has any of our free agents signed with another team?

Pittsburgh is completely dead right now when it comes to free agency. it seems that the world is spinning around us wildly and we are as still as can be.

(not complaining mind you, just observing - you can't criticize how the steelers do things and their perennial success)

Fire Arians 03-14-2012 08:14 PM

Re: Has every team signed a free agent except us

i think we just hope we can sign our own free agents

StainlessStill 03-14-2012 08:15 PM

Teams can keep their football-high in March by giving out ridiculous contracts (Garcon is making close to Vincent Jackson money-LOL.) I'll take my football-high on Steelers Sunday's.:tt04:

Atlanta Dan 03-14-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 1002724)
Teams can keep their football-high in March by giving out ridiculous contracts (Garcon is making close to Vincent Jackson money-LOL.)

Yep - as usual the Redskins are the leaders in the clubhouse when it comes to crazy

The More I Get, The More I Want

With their draft picks tied up in the RG3 trade and their spending money repossessed by the NFL, you would have forgiven the Redskins for taking a rare opening day of free agency off. And then they would have said, "Thanks for forgiving us! Now, please get out of our way so we can get back to spending money we may or may not have. There are second-tier free agents just roaming around out there! For free! Without contracts!":chuckle:

And so the Redskins found it in their hearts to give Pierre Garcon a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $21.5 million in guaranteed money. This is the same Pierre Garcon who has caught just over 53 percent of the passes thrown to him over the past three seasons despite having Peyton Manning at quarterback for two of those three years. The other Colts wide receivers caught just under 64 percent of the passes thrown to them over that time frame. And while a low catch rate is fine if you're a deep threat or a demon after the catch, Garcon's averaged 13.6 yards per catch over that span, which is almost exactly league average. Jabar Gaffney has averaged more yards per catch over the past three years than Pierre Garcon. Is he a downfield threat?

Garcon fits one of the archetypes we identified last year when we described the free agents you meet in hell, a second or third wideout from an effective passing offense. These sorts of players look good against single coverage with great quarterbacks around them, but when you move them into the no. 1 slot on a team with an inferior quarterback, they fail to meet expectations.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...the-incoherent

tony hipchest 03-14-2012 08:22 PM

last season we signed or extended ike, polamalu, woodley, and timmons. (some who otherwise woulda been free agents this week)

what more do fans want? :noidea: (besides jehrico crotchsniffer)

TRH 03-14-2012 10:20 PM

it seems like the entire Pittsburgh organization is dead right now....internally and externally. I don't even hear crickets.

tugnut1 03-14-2012 10:54 PM

I've learned in the last 10 years of so, the guys running the Steelers are a lot smarter than I am. They know how to develop talent and for the most part, they don't overpay for players and hunches.

Okay, they missed on Limas Sweed (draft, not free agent), but other than that, they have been pretty spot on.

I'm just a little worried about them getting old and the offensive line. I really hope they address the offensive line.

LVSteelersfan 03-14-2012 11:00 PM

This certainly does not surprise me. They will wait until everyone is over the feeding frenzy and pick up one or two players on the cheap who have no team to go to. It doesn't bother me in the least that they have done nothing so far.

tony hipchest 03-14-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRH (Post 1002736)
it seems like the entire Pittsburgh organization is dead right now....internally and externally. I don't even hear crickets.

how bout all the college player pro days tomlin and colbert have been attending? :tap:

Bayz101 03-14-2012 11:14 PM

The Pittsburgh Steelers make talent, not but it. They only pay to keep the talent on the team. That's one thing I've learned being a fan.