Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   WOW McFly... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87846)

MDSteel15 03-20-2012 12:34 PM

WOW McFly...
 
Part of an article from Todd McShay about this years draft....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...fl-draft-board

The way I see it at this point in the draft process, there are five elite players on the board -- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson, Morris Claiborne -- with Justin Blackmon on the fringe of that group. However, there's a noticeable drop-off in talent after that point.


Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good football players to be had and many are worthy of first-round grades. But many of the players in this year's second tier -- which is dominated by defenders such as Melvin Ingram, Luke Kuechly, Quinton Coples, Dontari Poe, Mark Barron, Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Courtney Upshaw and Dre Kirkpatrick -- would figure into the third tier of talent in other recent drafts.


On the positive side, there is a lot of depth at key positions such as quarterback, offensive line, defensive line and cornerback, and the defensive end class is the most intriguing right now.


Some ends will convert to outside linebacker in 3-4 defenses, but after the top two tiers of Ingram, Coples and Upshaw, there are many quality players such as Andre Branch, Whitney Mercilus, Chandler Jones (who I contend is one of the most underrated players in this draft) and Nick Perry.


There are no defensive linemen in the top six overall, but 10 of the next 26 players hail from the defensive line. That should make a lot of playoff-contending teams happy.


Elsewhere, we still have only three quarterbacks in in the top 32, but names like Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins and Brandon Weeden are in the top 51 overall.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-20-2012 12:59 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Notice how McShay doesnt have ILB as a position where there is a lot of depth??

Its why the Steelers may have to look at ILB early if one is there and wait until later for an O lineman.

BKAnthem 03-20-2012 08:58 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 1003607)
Notice how McShay doesnt have ILB as a position where there is a lot of depth??

Its why the Steelers may have to look at ILB early if one is there and wait until later for an O lineman.

Whats wrong with the ton of LB's Colbert drafted 2 years ago?

Fire Arians 03-20-2012 09:26 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BKAnthem (Post 1003680)
Whats wrong with the ton of LB's Colbert drafted 2 years ago?

I want sylvester to be the guy, but he wasn't ready last year, and didn't show anything great at MLB, at times looked lost. hopefully it was due to not having a full offseason, probably hurt the rookies and 2nd year players a lot developmental wise.

in any case i would say dont'a hightower would be nfl ready sooner than sylvester would, just purely based off talent and the fact that hightower would be playing his natural position out of college, whereas sly had to learn a new position in a new system

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-20-2012 09:54 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BKAnthem (Post 1003680)
Whats wrong with the ton of LB's Colbert drafted 2 years ago?

At ILB the Steelers took Stevenson Sylvester.? I'll be amazed if he is ever a full time starter in the NFL. LB taken at the end of the 5th round is a developmental guy anyways.

As for the others, you must mean Thad Gibson and Jason Worilds I guess?

3 LB's taken 3 years ago and not one of them is going to be ready to start this season. Niiiiiiiiccce draft.

fujirama24 03-20-2012 09:57 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1003685)
I want sylvester to be the guy, but he wasn't ready last year, and didn't show anything great at MLB, at times looked lost. hopefully it was due to not having a full offseason, probably hurt the rookies and 2nd year players a lot developmental wise.

in any case i would say dont'a hightower would be nfl ready sooner than sylvester would, just purely based off talent and the fact that hightower would be playing his natural position out of college, whereas sly had to learn a new position in a new system

Syvester plays to upright. He doesn't get low enough to be considered a true starter. Yeah we all saw him his rookie year and thought we had something in him but 2 years later we know that we just don't. We don't have to go after ILB in the first round. I know all of you don't like larry foote but he tackles very well. Yeah he doesn't attack the line of scrimmage very well and can't guard very many tight ends but he is a solid ILBer. IF hightower is there I see us taking him but if he is not we will probable go in a different direction. The steelers don't reach for players in the first round. We haven't made a bad pick in the first round since troy edwards in 99. So you can't blame the gm's for are picks. If all the offensive lineman and Linebackers that are projected to go that high are gone then we will take BPA of the position that we need the most.

fujirama24 03-20-2012 10:08 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
I think the year we took mendanhall and sweed. I the first two rounds was are worst draft in 20 years. We drafted mendenhall in the first he played maybe two good seasons. Sweed was a complete bust in the second. Bruce Daviis was another bust in the third and the only other player worth mentioning was Dennis Dixon. He started what 2 games for us. That draft has been killing us.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-20-2012 10:11 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fujirama24 (Post 1003694)
I think the year we took mendanhall and sweed. I the first two rounds was are worst draft in 20 years. We drafted mendenhall in the first he played maybe two good seasons. Sweed was a complete bust in the second. Bruce Daviis was another bust in the third and the only other player worth mentioning was Dennis Dixon. He started what 2 games for us. That draft has been killing us.

I agree, but you forgot Tony Hills in the 4th round that year too.

tony hipchest 03-20-2012 10:39 PM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 1003696)
I agree, but you forgot Tony Hills in the 4th round that year too.

...who will make it to the pro bowl with p. manning as his qb.

MDSteel15 03-21-2012 06:07 AM

Re: WOW McFly...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1003705)
...who will make it to the pro bowl with p. manning as his qb.

:toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: Tony done flipped out!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum