Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tomlin may be in line for a new contract (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87975)

mesaSteeler 03-24-2012 10:28 AM

Tomlin may be in line for a new contract

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Tomlin may be in line for a new contract

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 24, 2012

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin could be in line for another new contract. Tomlin has two years left on the contract he signed in 2010, though the final one is an option year. That means the Steelers could approach Tomlin about a new deal before the start of the season. "Our coach's contract is something we don't really try to speculate on what might happen," Steelers president Art Rooney II told the Tribune-Review on Friday. "We're obviously very happy with Mike and the job he's doing and we hope he's going to be here for the long term and I think I'm comfortable in saying that will be the case." Tomlin won a Super Bowl in his second season with the Steelers, and his .688 winning percentage (55-25) is the best in franchise history. Tomlin has guided the Steelers to three AFC North titles and four playoff appearances in five years.

An offseason purge left the Steelers without two of their long-time captains in inside linebacker James Farrior and wide receiver Hines Ward. Rooney said other players will have to fill that leadership void this season. One could be quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, whom Rooney already considers one of the Steelers' leaders. "He will be somebody that perhaps is looked to more now than in the past even, now that some of these other players have moved on," Rooney said. "Maybe that leadership role will grow as we move forward." Roethlisberger served as an offensive captain last season as well as in 2009.

The Steelers have restructured a number of contracts, turning base salaries into signing bonuses. That provides short-term salary cap relief since the bonuses can be spread over the life of the contract. The moves have raised questions about whether the Steelers are simply delaying serious cap issues, though the cap number -- it is $120.6 million this year -- is expected to spike significantly in 2014 because of an infusion of TV money. "Not that we don't focus on future years because you have to at least be aware of moves you're making now that may affect future years," Rooney said, "but our priority at this point is making sure that we have a team that can compete for a championship year in and year out and that's what we're focused on this year."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Tomlin may be in line for a new contract - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1q2p8VgfM

tanda10506 03-24-2012 02:37 PM

Re: Tomlin may be in line for a new contract

There aren't any other good coaches out there so extend him. I think we are often times out coached and no matter who the coordinators are, that ultimately falls on the head coach. There were quite a few games with threads on here afterwords saying we were out coached, and I agree, especially due to the lack of in game adjustment. That said, he is new too and like anything else, he will get better with experience. With Hines, Smith, and Farrior gone I think you can say this is Tomlin's team starting now, no longer is the Cowher's team argument valid. Sure there may be a few players that played a year or two on Cowher's team, but many haven't and the veteran leadership from the Cowher years is gone now and is up to other players now. Who would be available anyway, Herm Edwards or Mangini? Screw that, extend Tomlin.

Steelersfan87 03-24-2012 04:08 PM

Everybody gets outcoached.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW 03-24-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodens Grav (Post 1004268)

^what he said

MACH1 03-24-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Not if your name is arians, then it's blamed on poor player execution. :rolleyes:

mesaSteeler 03-24-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1 (Post 1004271)
Not if your name is arians, then it's blamed on poor player execution. :rolleyes:

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

TRH 03-24-2012 07:13 PM

he'll easily get the extension and a big pay raise, no question. I'm glad we have one of the best in the game.

tanda10506 03-25-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Agreed, but we were out coached often this year. On top of that, when we were getting out coached nobody made an adjustment. I do like Tomlin and as I said, we should extend him, but IMO he could be much better.

zcoop 03-25-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanda10506 (Post 1004295)
Agreed, but we were out coached often this year. On top of that, when we were getting out coached nobody made an adjustment. I do like Tomlin and as I said, we should extend him, but IMO he could be much better.

Every coach could be much better.

CA Black & Gold 03-25-2012 09:21 PM

Fire his butt. No emotion in that dude. Deer in the headlights during crunch time. Only won a SB with previous coach's team