Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Kiper's and McShay's mock second rounds (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=88313)

mesaSteeler 04-10-2012 07:49 AM

Kiper's and McShay's mock second rounds

Kiper's and McShay's mock second rounds
April, 9, 2012
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Let's compare the second rounds of the mock drafts from ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. Insider and Todd McShay. Insider Since this is the AFC North blog, let's break down the second-round projections for each division team:

CLEVELAND BROWNS

Selection: 37th overall

Kiper's pick: Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State

McShay's pick: Weeden

Hensley's comment: If the Browns take running back Trent Richardson and a wide receiver with their first round picks, the decision will be to either take Weeden or an offensive tackle like Mississippi's Bobby Massie. At this point, right tackle is the more pressing need although Weeden is an intriguing pick.

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Selection: 53rd overall

Kiper's pick: Brandon Taylor, S, LSU

McShay's pick: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)

Hensley's comment: I would lean more toward Taylor, especially after the release of safety Chris Crocker. Taylor needs to improve in coverage, but his leadership and toughness would help the Bengals going forward.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Selection: 56th overall

Kiper's pick: Kelechi Osemele, OL, Iowa State

McShay's pick: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Hensley's comment: The Steelers will start to look for running backs in the second round, where there could be a run at the position. My choice for Pittsburgh is Virginia Tech's David Wilson, who can add explosiveness to the Steelers' backfield.

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Selection: 60th overall

Kiper's pick: Terrell Manning, LB, N.C. State

McShay's pick: Jeff Allen, G, Illinois

Hensley's comment: There is no question that the Ravens have a big need at left guard. But Allen has to convert from being a left tackle in college. Under this scenario, the Ravens might as well go ahead and switch Jah Reid from tackle to guard.
Tags:

Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, Todd Mcshay, Mel Kiper Jr., 2012 NFL draft

PhantomJB93 04-10-2012 10:41 AM

Re: Kiper's and McShay's mock second rounds

I know nobody here wants us to take a RB in the second round, but if we took David Wilson I would be jumping for joy.

(I go to VT haha)

MDSteel15 04-11-2012 06:34 AM

Of those 3 it should be Kelechi Osemele, OL, Iowa State! A running back does you no damn good without maulers!!!

P.S. VT sux... Let's Go Blue!

Kingmagyar 04-11-2012 07:12 AM

I do think round 2 is too early for a RB. With needing a NT, G, and ILB the time to get them is early. Would like to see a G in one of the first 2, or we may not find one that can start.

Isaiah Pead, Robert Turbin, or Bernard Pierce could be available in the 3rd however.

It would be nice to end up with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds somehow. We could land a ILB, G, RB, and NT or OT all by the end of round 3.

El-Gonzo Jackson 04-11-2012 05:09 PM

who did Kiper have us taking in the 1st? Hightower??

I'd take Hightower and Osemele as the first 2 picks!! Good start to the draft I think.

FireBlitz 04-12-2012 09:23 PM

Osemele would be great at that point.