Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hoke Signs Two-Year Extension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=886)

stillers4strife 06-09-2005 12:17 PM

Hoke Signs Two-Year Extension

Steelers' Hoke agrees to two-year contract extension
Thursday, June 09, 2005

By Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chris Hoke, a four-year veteran at nose tackle who saw his first game action last season, has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Steelers.

Hoke, 29, recorded 27 tackles (20 solo) and made two quarterback sacks in 12 starts after replacing Casey Hampton, a Pro Bowl performer who suffered a season-ending knee injury on Oct. 17 at Dallas.

Hoke originally joined the Steelers as an undrafted free agent from Brigham Young University in 2001.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...160/519052.stm

BB2W 06-09-2005 12:53 PM

Re: Hoke Signs Two-Year Extension

Thats interesting......there are some others I would have rather seen get extensions first. They must have plans for Hoke.

RoethlisBURGHer 06-09-2005 01:54 PM

Could this mean we're not going to attempt to resign Hampton?

rowedf 06-09-2005 02:01 PM

I think Hampton is a pro bowl nose guard. I do however heard he came into camp very overweight...that's not a good coming off knee surgery, the less weight on that leg the better. As long as he's healthy I'm sure they'll extend his contract. I'd like to see the stormin morman get groomed to fill kimo's shoes. With his motor he may be a very good DE in our system.

clevestinks 06-09-2005 06:59 PM

Interesting! Yah I beleive there may be room for both Hampton and Hoke. Hoke was probably alot cheaper now than he would be later. I think its a good move.

BlitzburghRockCity 06-09-2005 09:37 PM

This doesnt mean about not resigning hampton. You always try and resign the players that dont cost you that much. Meaning, HOke is an up and coming player and this is definately a good move for us. It sures up the middle behind hampton since he's coming off an injury and gives us insurance in case we cant resign him..but he's not that well known yet, and therefore wouldnt command that much money this year. So you lock him up for a nother couple years, while he's still relatively unknown, then you may just end up w/ a bargain in a couple years if he continues to improve.

Hampton is a priority, there's no doubt.

JerseySTEEL 06-09-2005 11:43 PM

Hoke is just a steeler football type of player. he plays for the team and his love of the game, he filled in great for casey. and that doesnt mean we wont try and resign casey. it means well have a great Deopth guy on our line. like Blitzs said u always try to resign the players that dont cost you that much.

And the overwight issue isnt much, more then half the players comeback off there weight
mark. yes more weight on the knee but thats why we have camps to get his weight down.

ironcitychef 06-10-2005 12:33 AM

Yeah just setting the table to talk to Hampton. You think Hampton's agent was happy we resigned the capable backup already? Its a small game of poker and the FO already knows one card is out of play...

BlitzburghRockCity 06-10-2005 01:45 AM

Most definately...this lights alittle fire under the ass of hamptons agent since Casey has said he wants to play in Pittsburgh.

madrax 06-10-2005 02:11 PM

Here's another article on it, this one by Pasquarelli, with financial details and a good take on it:

Deal keeps key lineman out of free agent pool