Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Soccer Anyone? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=88759)

SteelersinCA 04-26-2012 11:07 PM

Soccer Anyone?

Doubt this will be a very popular thread, but I figured I'd try to find out if anyone watches soccer around here?

NSMaster56 04-27-2012 07:47 PM

Re: Soccer Anyone?

I'm a 'casual' fan.

I just watch the WC and the Sounders (yes, MLS is AAA soccer, but I don't want to be a 'hipster' and jump on the EPL bandwagon).

Geordie 09-08-2014 06:29 PM

Me. Season ticket holder at Newcastle United, but it's football not soccer ;)

Pappy 09-08-2014 09:14 PM

Who the hell gives a shit about soccer on this board? Boringest sport they ever invented. This is a board about AMERICAN football. Soccer is for sissies!

Geordie 09-09-2014 02:22 PM

To coin an old phrase, you are entitled to your opinion, even when you are wrong.:wink02:

Lokki 09-09-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy (Post 1366640)
Who the hell gives a shit about soccer on this board? Boringest sport they ever invented. This is a board about AMERICAN football. Soccer is for sissies!

I didn't know Tony Hipchest played soccer!

Pappy 09-09-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokki (Post 1367298)
I didn't know Tony Hipchest played soccer!

Doesn't change my opinion any. Football is twice as tough to play.

harrison'samonster 09-09-2014 08:10 PM

i've never watched it, but i use to love playing it. it's a healthy sport to get into, lot's of running. better reasons to "accidentally" kick opponents in the face than A. Brown could ever come up with on a punt return.

I would have kept playing but when I was going into 7th grade we moved to a school that didn't have a team.

The_Joker 09-09-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy (Post 1366640)

Yinz ain't suppossed ta play no feetballs in the grinnie, yinz jagoffs.

NSMaster56 09-09-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy (Post 1367489)
Doesn't change my opinion any. Football is twice as tough to play.

Well... it's twice as tough to get up after getting hit in Football, but it's twice as tough not to feign injury in Soccer. :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, the difficulty of Soccer (or futbol) is not only the endurance (most players who play full games at full speed will end up running 5+ miles/game), but the coordination of skills.

That is, it requires skill to only use one's foot to control a light-weight ball's movement, but the tougher aspect is getting 11 guys to move as a unit, one that out maneuvers their opponent, no less, and then produce a score.

I still say that Hockey is more difficult in this regard (not only ice skating at high speeds and controlling the puck with a elongated stick, but avoiding opposing players---i.e. hits), but Soccer is a difficult sport to play.

Only someone who doesn't understand the game says otherwise.