Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   David DeCastro, OG, Pittsburgh Steelers!!! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=88785)

MDSteel15 04-27-2012 06:26 AM

David DeCastro, OG, Pittsburgh Steelers!!!

What he brings: If you draft a guard this early, you expect him to make an immediate impact, and DeCastro's more than capable of doing it. He's a smart football player who can drive defenders off the ball as a run-blocker and rarely loses one-on-one.

How he fits: Offensive line was the biggest need for this team and DeCastro plays like he was born to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. He can line up next to their only stable lineman, Maurkice Pouncey, and that should really improve their interior run game and also pass protect for Big Ben inside. There's still work to be done on the edge of this offensive line, but this is a major upgrade.

Welcome to da Burgh! :popcorn:

MDSteel15 04-27-2012 06:46 AM

Re: David DeCastro, OG, Pittsburgh Steelers!!!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

fat4jc 04-27-2012 07:41 AM

the comments section on that Seattle Times link are hilarious.

MeanGee2047 04-27-2012 08:08 AM

Not a bad start for the Stillers!! Willie Colon can now look over his shoulder....

devin7558 04-27-2012 02:19 PM

a very untalked about stat for decastro:

a 4.06 GPA at stanford...hes smart as hell and should learn quick and get on the field and contribute right away. my fav selection since Ben in 2004 no doubt about it

tugnut1 04-27-2012 02:44 PM

I love this pick. I don't know if I would call him the best pick since Big Ben. Hell, I loved the Heath Miller pick the year after Ben. Miller has been huge for the Steelers. Pouncey has been awesome also.

I am very very excited about the Steelers addressing their need at Offensive line and I would also love to see them pick up a great tackle, but I don't know if any of them made it out of the first round.

I am really looking forward to what else the Steelers are going to do in this draft.

GMU Steeler 04-27-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devin7558 (Post 1008067)
a very untalked about stat for decastro:

a 4.06 GPA at stanford...hes smart as hell and should learn quick and get on the field and contribute right away. my fav selection since Ben in 2004 no doubt about it

Wow smart kid. Anyhow, I am with everyone else. I am so glad we got him. May even get his jersey.

ricardisimo 04-27-2012 04:48 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is obsessed with us getting a tackle when we're still looking at Foster or Lego at the other guard spot. Our tackles are fine and they're signed for several years to come. Last I checked, the league won't allow DeCastro to play both guard spots simultaneously.

cbrunn 04-27-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardisimo (Post 1008122)
I'm not sure why everyone is obsessed with us getting a tackle when we're still looking at Foster or Lego at the other guard spot. Our tackles are fine and they're signed for several years to come. Last I checked, the league won't allow DeCastro to play both guard spots simultaneously.

because you get a RT and move Colon back to Guard ...where many people believe he is much better at ...

ricardisimo 04-27-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrunn (Post 1008125)
because you get a RT and move Colon back to Guard ...where many people believe he is much better at ...

And yet the stats say otherwise. He is a way above average RT when healthy. Of course that's a big if lately, but if he can't stay healthy at tackle he won't be any better at it as a guard.