Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Feedback & Support (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What do you want? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=89643)

mesaSteeler 06-22-2012 12:57 PM

What do you want?

So what do you want?

I'm posting this as a separate thread to resolve this. All comments are from the The Official Mike Wallace Thread. - mesa

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete74 (Post 1016930)
I agree with you. More threads, especially in the off season attracts more members. They look at the thread title when scanning for updates and nobody wants to read thru 70 pages of posts in one thread

vs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayz101 (Post 1016890)
Well, in all honesty, you never started a new thread about Wallace, at least not in that time-frame. Killer was probably talking about someone else who started a thread, rather than posting it in here. All articles about Wallace should go in here. I let off of it for a month or so after the draft, but once again, every thread about Wallace being published says basically the same shit, so all threads created out side of this thread, will be merged here.

So why don't you people make up your minds? Some of you mods want separate threads and others want everything in the same thread.

How "different" does an article have to be before it belongs in a different thread?

Like Hawaii I've never understood why a subject can't have multiple threads. I've always tried to group articles that are relatively similar and close in time in the same thread. However there are major problems with using the same thread for everything.

1. As pete74 points out someone has to read through a lot pages looking for updates. For those looking for updates using the same thread to post all the articles on a subject results in articles getting buried.

2. If multiple people are posting articles then it's very easy to have duplicate articles get posted. The search routines for this site do not work well and they take a lot of time to use.

3. It is impossible to tell what any one article may interest someone and it is impossible to tell where an article thread will lead. Some seeming innocuous articles I've posted have lead to hundreds of responses and others, seeming much more controversial, have led to no responses.

4. [B]No one is forcing anyone to open a thread.[/B] If a thread looks boring then simply don't open it. What is the big deal about that? Even if one individual reader is not not interested someone may be and there is no way anyone can tell in advance.

5. Personally I've gotten damn tired of endlessly searching (with the imposed 30 second delay between searches) to see if an article has been duplicated and I'm tired of trying to figure out which thread to post something to so that this mod or that mod won't get all upset.

So I repeat.

What do you want?

It doesn't matter to me. I've gotten two invitations to move on to different websites which I am considering because it's gotten to time consuming to endlessly search, with the primitive search routines of this website, to see if an article has been posted.

PS. The infantile comments of the KillerPimp doesn't bother me since I've had that victim of child sexual abuse on ignore for years.

Vis 06-22-2012 01:07 PM

Re: What do you want?

I don't like the idea of one thread per player. However, one thread on Wallace's contract issue seems fair. A thread about his actual role in the new offense would be better in it's own thread.

Hawaii 5-0 06-22-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaSteeler (Post 1016949)
PS. The infantile comments of the KillerPimp doesn't bother me since I've had that victim of child sexual abuse on ignore for years.

thanks, that partially explains why he is such an idiot. and that's a good idea, I'm also going to put him on ignore.

Bayz101 06-22-2012 04:44 PM

Some of us mod's had decided to group all threads about Wallace into one thread because almost everyday, a new article with same song and dance was published, and a new thread was created for it. Usually these threads would die off, and there was really no reason to have the entire Steelers discussion forum filled to the brim with the 30 articles about one player. Especially if every article said the same thing.

Now. When this Wallace thing popped off early in the off-season, there would be several threads made (without any real significance) a day about Wallace and we'd merge them with the new Official thread to reduce forum clutter. This got to the point to where'd we'd merge a Wallace thread if we saw it and just leave a little expiring redirect for the threads publisher.

I appreciate that you guys are both placing articles similar to each other in the same thread. It helps GREATLY with forum clutter. That's why we're doing this. Forum clutter attracts more than just members, it attracts spammers, and i'd prefer keeping it clean. We still get a great amount of members each and every day.

Now. To clear this up (I know we've been confusing with it), i'm going to retract my previous statements that Mesa listed above. You can start posting threads about Wallace in it's own thread since things have pretty much halted. Just continue posting similar articles in the same thread like you've been doing, and there'll be no problem.

That's really the only reason we decided to bunch them together in the first place: Forum Clutter.

If we'd let one person make another Wallace thread we had fifteen members thinking the coast was clear. May have seemed hostile, but we we're just trying to keep the forum clean, fast and spam-free for your best experience. Since it's settled down significantly now, i'm holding back on any merging for now.

I hope this clears things up for you.

-Nate

Bayz101 06-22-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vis (Post 1016952)
I don't like the idea of one thread per player. However, one thread on Wallace's contract issue seems fair. A thread about his actual role in the new offense would be better in it's own thread.

This is pretty much our mindset. If we've merged anything outside of his contract issues, it was likely just an honest mistake on our part, especially if it happened back before the draft.

Bayz101 06-22-2012 05:02 PM

So, basically, we we're merging all news about Wallace into one thread due to forum clutter. With all of the news about Wallace pouring out each day, and much of it being all the same, a singular Wallace thread was a must. The forum would've been slowed to a halt. Now, it's not so bad. Maybe one or two Wallace threads are posted each day (of any significance, of course) and it's better for each one to have a thread of it's own.

I just wanted to let you know WHY we we're doing this, and clear things up. A lot of people seemed to disagree with the idea of keeping it all in one spot, but the majority respected it as a way to keep things running smoothly. You've all been doing a good job of posting articles in one place when necessary, and I appreciate that. That's all we ask. Just keep doing that, and if you think a thread deserves a thread of it's own, go right ahead and make one. The Wallace threads are no longer limited :thumbsup: