Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   DeCastro update (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=90156)

Grav 08-02-2012 05:46 PM

DeCastro update

how has this guy done? heard some reports that Woods was giving him a pretty tough time in training. Any news on the guys progress?

Atlanta Dan 08-02-2012 05:55 PM

Re: DeCastro update

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grav (Post 1020442)
how has this guy done? heard some reports that Woods was giving him a pretty tough time in training. Any news on the guys progress?

Maurkice Pouncey had these thoughts, confirming that DeCastro is a man of few words and that the academic demands upon SEC football players are not particularly high

Steelers offensive guard and No. 1 draft pick David DeCastro is developing a reputation as an intense man-of-few words.

"He looks like a military dude, man. He's too serious some of the time, but he's a great guy to have around the field," center Maurkice Pouncey said.

"Most of the time, he doesn't say anything at all. They call him Mr. Personality," Pouncey laughed.

So how to loosen him up?

"Just try to joke with him ... he went to that smart school [Stanford] -- it was probably school, school, school and football.

"He probably didn't learn how to have a good time in college -- he didn't take bowling."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ty-647249/?p=0

El-Gonzo Jackson 08-02-2012 06:00 PM

1 on 1 pass drills always favor the D lineman if that is what Woods was getting him on. O lineman is the nail in that drill and not the hammer.

Also, Al Woods played on that LSU line with Tyson Jackson, Ricky Jean Francois, Marlon Favorite, etc. He's a guy with a couple NFL camps under his belt that played in the SEC. DeCastro is going to be fine, its just going to take some adjustment.

StainlessStill 08-02-2012 06:03 PM

I've read and heard over and over how this guy is a stone-faced assassin with cold and piercing stare. That said, I've read atleast a couple times during the duration of camp of him losing one on one battles in drills to seemingly level 3 and 4 tier talent. He needs to pick it up and earn his due. I'm confident he'll get use to the speed, but it needs to come very fast.

teegre 08-02-2012 06:24 PM

Pouncey has stated that DD is further along (in his development) than he was as a rookie.  

Troy was considered a BUST for his first full season. It hasn't even been one PRE-season game. I'm not worried.

FrancoLambert 08-02-2012 06:33 PM

Everyone, take a deep breath and relax, DD will be fine come September.

Riddle_Of_Steel 08-02-2012 07:27 PM

By most of the reports I have heard (from Ken Laird), DeCastro is having some struggles.

Adams has looked descent. DeCastro has been pushed around. Colon has been A BEAST.

Another thing I am noticing in all the camp updates (going by Steelers Addicts) that is kinda troubling, is that either our run defense needs work, or this Chris Rainey kid is going to be a lightning rod this year for us. Evrytime I read his name in one of these updates, it is Chris Rainey "for a long gain".

Steelers have some kinks to work out, but am sure they will be ready to bust some heads come week 1.

GoFor7 08-02-2012 07:37 PM

Maybe DeCastro isn't giving full effort because he was a Seahawks fan growing up and is still sore about Super Bowl XL. :chuckle:

steelbelieve 08-02-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1020449)
Pouncey has stated that DD is further along (in his development) than he was as a rookie.  

Troy was considered a BUST for his first full season. It hasn't even been one PRE-season game. I'm not worried.

I think the Troy comparison is noteworthy. DD is an introspective type of guy who's going to want to understand everything--like Troy, Then, once it's ALL sunk in, look out.

teegre 08-02-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbelieve (Post 1020460)
I think the Troy comparison is noteworthy. DD is an introspective type of guy who's going to want to understand everything--like Troy, Then, once it's ALL sunk in, look out.

Exactly. At times, Troy looked lost. And, I remember, during his rookie year, they asked Troy why he wasn't "Troy" yet.  To which he replied, "I don't know the plays well enough yet to play how I expect to play."  

Then... he exploded in his second year.  

Yet... Steelers fans were calling for Cower's head, for having "drafted slow SS."  

I watched Troy for three years, and never thought that the Steelers had a shot at drafting him.  He fell (out of the top 10); the Steelers traded up; and, the rest is history.  

Similarly, I watched DD for two years, and never thought that the Steelers had a shot at drafting him.  He fell to 24;  the Steelers traded up; and, the rest shall be history.