Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cleveland Browns may actually turn into a threat (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=90229)

Go 'Lers 08-05-2012 01:59 PM

Cleveland Browns may actually turn into a threat

We've all heard their fans blabber on about how good yet another QB draft pick would make them or how good this next soon-to-be bust was going to be. But after getting a new owner that seems committed (and oh yea, studied at Rooney U as a co-owner of the Steelers) this team may actually being getting it's stuff together.

I have always said the Ohio teams in our division have what I've dubbed "Absent Owners" but with the Paul Brown family recently looking like geniuses in Cincy and a new business man in Cleveland that may soon change.

And while I don't think this guy will necessarily be in the ranks of the Mara family, Kraft family, and indeed our own Rooney family (the standard of the league) it is a hands on owner at the top that may actually change the culture of loosing that has placated a once proud franchise on the shores of Lake Erie.

...thoughts?

Vis 08-05-2012 02:10 PM

Re: Cleveland Browns may actually turn into a threat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go 'Lers (Post 1020855)
We've all heard their fans blabber on about how good yet another QB draft pick would make them or how good this next soon-to-be bust was going to be. But after getting a new owner that seems committed (and oh yea, studied at Rooney U as a co-owner of the Steelers) this team may actually being getting it's stuff together.

I have always said the Ohio teams in our division have what I've dubbed "Absent Owners" but with the Paul Brown family recently looking like geniuses in Cincy and a new business man in Cleveland that may soon change.

And while I don't think this guy will necessarily be in the ranks of the Mara family, Kraft family, and indeed our own Rooney family (the standard of the league) it is a hands on owner at the top that may actually change the culture of loosing that has placated a once proud franchise on the shores of Lake Erie.

...thoughts?

They will be the redskins right after they got the rich new owner. It takes a long time to learn patience.

And this year the injury bug has them.

ricardisimo 08-06-2012 12:55 AM

The injury bug has them every year... or so goes the excuse. The Browns will continue to suck for the foreseeable future. Holmgren's last chance was - maybe - was firing Shurmur and coaching the team himself. I say maybe because who knows if Holmgren still has what it takes. Shurmur, however, is definitely in over his head.

So this year they will suck yet again, then both he and Holmgren will be gone. Then Haslam has his excuse to hire his own guy and start the entire process of high-priced suckitude all over again. Conceivably he gleaned a few things from the Rooneys while he was here, but I think the jinx that is the Mistake on the Lake overpowers everything else.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor 08-12-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardisimo (Post 1020928)
The injury bug has them every year... or so goes the excuse. The Browns will continue to suck for the foreseeable future. Holmgren's last chance was - maybe - was firing Shurmur and coaching the team himself. I say maybe because who knows if Holmgren still has what it takes. Shurmur, however, is definitely in over his head.

So this year they will suck yet again, then both he and Holmgren will be gone. Then Haslam has his excuse to hire his own guy and start the entire process of high-priced suckitude all over again. Conceivably he gleaned a few things from the Rooneys while he was here, but I think the jinx that is the Mistake on the Lake overpowers everything else.

Unless Haslam collects a Front Office that understands the word "stability", learns that stable NFL franchises build through the draft - and then, teach the kids your system, and unless they actually build a system, an identity... then they will continue to flounder, indefinitely.

Good franchises develop a philosophy, and draft, teach and coach that philosophy repetitively. Poor franchises are always trying to buy their way into success, through free agents, high-profile coaches, etc.

Cleveland is still finding its way. I don't see much hope for the foreseeable future, unless Haslam develops a plan, and an identity - then gains a FO and a coaching staff that will use the draft to put the plan into action.

ricardisimo 08-12-2012 11:10 PM

I wonder if Haslam might not be interested in moving the team to California. I grew up in Cleveland, and do not wish those people any more pain than they already have to endure just for the fact that they live in Cleveland. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Los Angeles Browns win it all in their second or third year.

ricardisimo 08-14-2012 11:09 PM

This is more like it.