Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers could use a 4 - 3 defense package? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=90255)

SteelCityAssassin 08-06-2012 09:02 PM

Steelers could use a 4 - 3 defense package?

First off, hello all, I read this and other Steeler forums often.

When Mike Tomlin was hired I loved the pick, and was very happy about his decision to keep the Steelers d as it was. I love the 3 - 4, and no one plays it better than the steelers.......

...BUT looking at our current D-Line situation, and some of the injuries to the line backing corps, isn't it a possibilty???

We could have Kiesel, Hood, Mclendon, Heyward (not necessarily in that order)

Then have LT, Woodley, foote (hopefully spence)

for some subpackages used only in specific situations, It would throw opposing teams for a loop.. I would liken it to how the giants have that speed d-line package.

Bayz101 08-06-2012 09:18 PM

Re: Steelers could use a 4 - 3 defense package?

It's definitely a possibility, but a possibility and a success are two different things. Not with D.L. as our coordinator, but it's certainly a possibility for the near future.

Bayz101 08-06-2012 09:24 PM

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :drink:

BGSU A Dub 08-06-2012 10:07 PM

I like having a 3-4 because linebackers in the NFL are so versatile.

SteelCityAssassin 08-06-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGSU A Dub (Post 1021106)
I like having a 3-4 because linebackers in the NFL are so versatile.

to reiterate...
I love the 3 -4 and hope it is always our base d, but think of what opposing o-lines would think if came out in a 4-3 for a few downs. Maybe pull it out a few times a year.

Bayz, do you think kb would do this once he takes the helm.. Assuming that he has the personel.

ricardisimo 08-06-2012 11:22 PM

Lebeau has stated numerous times that they already do have a 4-3 that they use regularly to mix things up. You're wishing for something they already use.

Millers the sh!t 08-06-2012 11:50 PM

Doesn't this already exist? I'm pretty sure I've seen Pit line up in a 4-3 a few times.

tony hipchest 08-06-2012 11:59 PM

keisel and hood (or heyward) are not your prototypical edge rushers in a 4-3 alignment.

woodley maybe, but that means you take keisel, hood (or heyward) off the field.

for the same reasons, we wouldnt put mclendon/taamu/hampton out there as the core group of our 3-4 DL (although its reasonable to think nobody would run on us- except to the outside).

tony hipchest 08-07-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t (Post 1021123)
Doesn't this already exist? I'm pretty sure I've seen Pit line up in a 4-3 a few times.

well alot of times the steelers are lined up w/ 5 men on the LOS (3 DL and 2 OLB). they dont call it a 5-2 offense though. the steelers defens is predicated on many shifts and motions, much like an offense. that is one reason the steelers defense is so hard to learn and rookie defenders take so long to develop.

lebeau has only been at this shit for 50 years.

SteelCityAssassin 08-07-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1021124)
keisel and hood (or heyward) are not your prototypical edge rushers in a 4-3 alignment.

woodley maybe, but that means you take keisel, hood (or heyward) off the field.

for the same reasons, we wouldnt put mclendon/taamu/hampton out there as the core group of our 3-4 DL (although its reasonable to think nobody would run on us- except to the outside).

I wouldn't put Mclendon in the same grouping as Ta'amu and hampton..

Heyward Mclendon Kiesel Hood

I think it would work as a subpackage.. and scare alot of teams.
I would't want to see this personnel grouping often tho..

Use that with 2 backers 4 corners & troy..

I dunno just a thought until there is something to talk about