Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Something has to give with Wallace NOW (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=90288)

LayingTheWoodley56 08-08-2012 08:20 PM

Something has to give with Wallace NOW

There's no point in rehashing the entire scenario for the umpteenth time. All I know is the absence of Wallace to start the season - to be honest, something I never until now really thought might happen - is going to have a tremendous domino effect on our receiving corps and by extension, our offense. Sanders is a fine 3, Cotch a good, experienced 4, but to bump them each up a spot really brings our entire O down several notches. With Mike, we have a deep, dangerous group of wideouts. Without him, we're left with 3 solid ones, one of which has shown himself to be very injury prone, and pretty much nothing at 4 and 5. Something needs to happen soon, or else we could be in trouble.

I know this has been said before to mixed reactions from Steeler Nation, but if Wallace turns out to not be starting the season on our roster, there is a solid option to add some depth at receiver: Plax. I'm on board with it, because we got do a lot worse as our 4th receiver. At least he could help out in the red zone.

Steelers>NFL 08-08-2012 08:30 PM

Re: Something has to give with Wallace NOW

No Plexiglass for me on my Steelers. He is a BUM!

pancake 08-08-2012 08:40 PM

Do we have a panic button? I have no interest in Plax. I still feel that Wallace will be in soon...

Fire Arians 08-08-2012 09:59 PM

we also have heath miller. we won't have the same vertical threat without wallace but i feel the offense will still be good without him.

BGSU A Dub 08-08-2012 11:13 PM

What about Sims-Walker or Crayton?

Steelersfan87 08-09-2012 12:28 AM

I don't think anything has to give NOW. I think there's still time. If he doesn't show up somewhere between August 17th and September 1st, then it's situation critical. Obviously the sooner he shows up the better, but I honestly don't see him skipping training camp as overly detrimental to the 2012 season, even if it ultimately means that Wallace will have to learn some things on the fly. I also don't see them bringing in a free agent unless both 1) Wallace never shows up and 2) one of the top 3 guys get injured. Otherwise, there's a roster spot or two for somebody like Toney Clemons, Derrick Williams, David Gilreath, Marquiz Maze, or Tyler Beiler.

Having on a "3 deep" receiving corps would not be overly limiting, I think. All it would do is vary the packages that they use, i.e. more tight ends and running backs in passing situations.

IowaSteeler927 08-09-2012 04:17 AM

I personally am getting fed up with Mike Wallace. He thinks he's worth Larry Fitz money and I don't think he's shown he's of that quality yet. Yes he's fast, and yes he's a home run hitter, but where the hell was he when we needed him the most the latter half of last season going into the playoffs? Mike Wallace needs to get out of Wally World and start living in reality. I honestly think he's going to get a contract at some point but if he keeps being a diva he'll go the route of Plax and Santonio.

Galax Steeler 08-09-2012 04:22 AM

This Wallace thing is getting old. I am to the point I could care less one way or the other.

pete74 08-09-2012 06:10 AM

I don't understand what he thinks is going to happen
If he truly wants a new contract from the Steelers then why isn't he in camp? He knows the Steelers won't extend him while he is holding out. I understand holding out for a few days to show your displeasure towards your contract but now its useless.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the two sides were so far apart that it was obvious a deal wouldn't happen. If that's the case Wallace will only play the final 6 games of the season so he can get his big contract somewhere else in 2013.

If so its a shame. We are much better with Wallace then without him.

Atlanta Dan 08-09-2012 07:39 AM

This is playing out like the Vincent Jackson mess with the Chargers

Jackson was absent through late October 2010, showed up long enough to get his 6 game 2010 season in to qualify for a yera of service, had the franchise tag put on him for 2011, played out 2011 for a Chargers team that was a train wreck and after all that still got a $55 million contract from Tampa Bay

Wallace wants to get paid and there is precedent that he is going to get paid in 2013 no matter how short and rotten a season he has this year - to the extent he harms the success of the 2012 Steelers to get there he apparently is willing to take that chance

I think Tomlin sees the dispute heading in that direction which is why the story is getting out to the media that Tomlin is pi**ed at Wallace

It's a business