Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Winners and Losers of game 1? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=90309)

Fire Arians 08-09-2012 11:24 PM

Winners and Losers of game 1?

Winners
Chris Rainey - Man isn't he exciting to watch? Also him being there in the first team series makes me think we have plans for him in the regular season.
AB/Sanders - looked sharp on the field
Todd Haley - I thought the first 2 offensive series were dominant. philly only had one possession the entire 1st quarter.
Steve McLendon - The training camp hype seems justified, dude is an animal
1st team defense - forced 3 and outs on the first 2 series, ending the night for the eagles starting squad as quickly as it started.

Losers
Curtis brown - beat badly twice by second/third stringers, very disappointing
Baron Batch - 19 carries for 41 yards. was averaging 2 yards per carry until he faced the 3rd team defense
Offensive Line - I think leftwich got sacked more than he completed passes today. Ben was probably taken out after the 1st series mainly because it wasn't safe to risk him behind today's pass protection. while disappointing, it's still only game 1.

tony hipchest 08-09-2012 11:52 PM

Re: Winners and Losers of game 1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1021804)
Winners
Chris Rainey - Man isn't he exciting to watch? Also him being there in the first team series makes me think we have plans for him in the regular season.
AB/Sanders - looked sharp on the field
Todd Haley - I thought the first 2 offensive series were dominant. philly only had one possession the entire 1st quarter.
Steve McLendon - The training camp hype seems justified, dude is an animal
1st team defense - forced 3 and outs on the first 2 series, ending the night for the eagles starting squad as quickly as it started.

Losers
Curtis brown - beat badly twice by second/third stringers, very disappointing
Baron Batch - 19 carries for 41 yards. was averaging 2 yards per carry until he faced the 3rd team defense
Offensive Line - I think leftwich got sacked more than he completed passes today. Ben was probably taken out after the 1st series mainly because it wasn't safe to risk him behind today's pass protection. while disappointing, it's still only game 1.

im gonna stick up for Batch-

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Hard to evaluate Baron Batch when Jake Stoller and Kyle Jolly are blocking for you.

redman 5/14yds
clay 5/8 yds
rainey 4/1 yd

batch ran vs 1st team defens at goal line when normally redman or dwyer would be in there. in the 4th quarter it seemed he ran 15 straight times when everybody knew he was getting the ball. i think he did respectable standing up to the punishment, and finally admit, he may be on the chopping block.

i think kelvin beachum was put in a bad position as well. when was the last time anyone has seen a 300 lb LT? 1985?

expeted more awareness from curtis brown.

johnson at OLB was suprising. spence looked VERY comfortable with the defense and his assignments (nice to see him sent on 2 blitzes) .

mclendon- like mendenhall and starks,hampton may be a back up when he comes back from PUP.

al woods looks like he has a future in this league.

Fire Arians 08-09-2012 11:59 PM

^ good points about batch, I was surprised at the # of carries he was getting too. I would think preseason you'd try to preserve your players, and he carried the rock 19 times

curtis brown was probably the biggest disappointment to me, and mclendon i was most impressed with. rainey was exciting to watch, but I wasn't all that surprised to see he could make a big play in open space, it's what quick 4.3 speed guys do lol.

Steelersfan87 08-10-2012 12:18 AM

Winners:

David DeCastro: Far from perfect, but he got the jitters out and made some nice pull tackles.
Baron Batch: He was offered nothing to work with until the last carry of the first half, but he really stepped up late in the game and ran with power and conviction. He fought off A LOT of contact, which is a huge step on his way back.
Steve McLendon: He was dominant at times. Probably the best player on the field in the first half.
Chris Carter: Although no sacks, lots of pressures.
Brandon Johnson: This guy wants a roster spot. He impressed me tonight.
Adrian Robinson: Had several good rushes.
Chris Rainey: He didn't have a lot to work with on handoffs and returns, but he still made the most out of a couple of them, and then put the cherry on top with some great moves on the TD.
Al Woods: I couldn't always tell when he was in, but he seemed to be the best DE for the Steelers tonight, aside from the interception.
Robert Golden: He made some tackles from a deep safety position and played well on special teams from what I could tell.
Alameda Ta'amu: I didn't notice him on every play, but I saw him getting some good pressure on plays in which he was double teamed, and even triple teamed. He's a powerful man and dangerous when motivated.
Cortez Allen: Had a pass breakup and was in position to stop other balls that were dropped. Always there to tackle the catch.

Losers:

Mike Adams: Mainly because of his injury. I'm not too worried about his sacks. The first one seemed to be one that was easy enough to fix. The second one was more on Foster for not getting out of his stance. The third one, Leftwich needs to have more awareness. He led his man around the corner. He had a nice seal block on the 4th and 1 on the opening drive that let Redman cut to his side when there was nothing open in the middle.
Corbin Bryant: Not so much a loser, but I thought he was really inconsistent. There was one play in particular where he was responsible for a big gain because he lacked edge discipline.
Curtis Brown: Great first half, really unfortunate second half. He was beaten clean on a nice double move on the first touchdown. He had good position on the second one, but he didn't get his head around off a quick release. Otherwise he honestly had a good game. I'm not worried as long as he has a short memory.
Myron Rolle: He had an ugly tackle on a ST play that could've been flagged, then missed the tackle on the last touchdown.
Kelvin Beachum: He was really tossed around by Vinny Curry and looked really bad until he and the rest of the 3rd string o-line settle down late in the 3rd.
John Malecki: the #62 jersey had me flashing back to Justin Hartwig, constantly on the ground.
David Johnson: Devastating. Just devastating. I'm feeling for him right now. He was out to prove something this year.

Andre Freeman was somewhere in between, and Stevenson Sylvester was somewhere closer to a loser than winner. Sean Spence had a pretty good game as well, showed some good instincts early on.

pete74 08-10-2012 04:28 AM

Mike Adams looked bad to me. i tried to pay attention to him the most and it appears he isnt close to being ready to start. DeCastro got beat a few good times but he appears to be playing as well as Kemo did right now and will only get better in 4 weeks. i was more worried about DeCastro then Adams but after this game i flipped that. im betting DeCastro opens the season as a starter and if Starks is healthy he will be our LT. i think Adams will be great but he still needs work

BIGNASTY91 08-10-2012 07:45 AM

I really liked seeing sanders making plays. "IF" he can stay healthy this year i think he should have a pretty good year!!

steelfury02 08-10-2012 08:01 AM

don't underestimate the other team playing a little inspired on defense. I thought overall, this year's 1st preseasons were more aggressive than in recent years' - across each game

MeanGee2047 08-10-2012 10:43 AM

The biggest loser is Myron Rolle....out of position a lot...too many missed tackles...if he doesn't figure it out quick the road scholar will find himself one of the first cuts...

Fire Arians 08-10-2012 11:35 AM

anyone think adams doing poorly had anything to do with colon not in the lineup? I'm sure decastro had some help in pass pro from pouncey, which helps a lot

El-Gonzo Jackson 08-10-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1021806)
i think kelvin beachum was put in a bad position as well. when was the last time anyone has seen a 300 lb LT? 1985?

al woods looks like he has a future in this league.

-Beachum is listed at 303 lbs.
-Jordan Gross is 305 lbs
- Sam Baker 312lbs
-Joe Staley 315 lbs

Beachum is shorter than all of them, but just needs to add 10 lbs of muscle and he is fine.

Al Woods I hope makes it as the last DE on the 53 and has always had skill, but seemed to battle injuries.

I have only seen some hilights, so cant comment on the entire game, but the 1st sack on Adams was not his fault. He didnt look too bad for first NFL action.